What's new

Praise for the Maggard M-1

[FONT=&amp]I recently picked up an MR-1 from Maggard Razors, and since there doesn’t seem to be much out there yet in the way of user feedback on these, I thought I would post some initial impressions. First, let me say that the service from the good folks at Maggard is second to none. An order placed on-line drew a near immediate confirmation (and, no, not a robo-response, but an actual note from co-owner Casie Maggard). Shipping was a very reasonable $2.44 and the razor, along with a couple of courtesy product samples, arrived in two business days. Outstanding.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
The Maggards recently brought this series of DE razors to the market through their small operation in Michigan, and in so doing have significantly raised the bar for budget/entry level razors. There are five three piece razors in the line each of which has an identical head and different style of handle, the various designs of which provide a nice range of options. Mine is the MR-1. The head is essentially a Muhle/EJ knock off, and a very good one it is. The fit and finish, while clearly not quite up to Muhle/EJ standards, is still surprisingly good. My particular example has no real flaws to speak of. The mechanics and blade alignment are likewise entirely sound, and the bright chrome plating is quite appealing. Time will tell as to the durability of the plating, but initial quality in this regard looks good.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
The first impression of the MR-1 is one of heft. A trip to the kitchen scale confirms this: this thing weighs in at a whopping 86 grams. For comparison, my Big Fellow tips in at 81 grams, the Fat Boy at 79. (Although I don’t currently have samples to weigh, at least one on-line review gives the weight of the DE89 as 73 grams; the Muhle R89 a mere 64.) Anyway, you get the picture: the MR-1 is one substantial razor. A lot of that weight is in the solid brass handle, which accounts for 58 grams on its own. Along with the heft, I really like the shape, length and thickness of the MR-1 handle, and the knurling is nicely done. I can already see it being matched up with some of my other three piece heads, for sure. For my money, the MR-1’s handle alone is worth the price of admission.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
But it turns out there is a lot more than that to like about the MR-1. As might be expected, the shave is pretty Muhle R89/EJ DE89-like. However, my initial impression after a few shaves is that the MR-1 is slightly more aggressive than the DE89 which, for me, is a good thing. While undeniably smooth and comfortable, I’ve always found the DE89 to be perhaps a bit milder than I might like. It could be the greater mass of the MR-1 that gives the impression of superior efficiency, but it seems real to me, and I prefer the shave from it over the DE89. Plus, I frankly despise the completely smooth handle of the DE89; the MR-1 handle is, IMO, a vast improvement.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
I’m not sure of the country of origin of the Maggard razors; their web site doesn’t say, but they are obviously made somewhere offshore. While my example is excellent in initial quality, it is the only one I’ve handled, so I can’t speak to QC of the line as a whole. But in the their description of these razors, the Maggards make it clear that they will take care of any QC issues with this product, and I have to think, based on my customer service experience there, they will deliver on that promise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
At $15.95, this thing is positively off the charts in terms of value. I recommend it highly.[/FONT]

Attachments

• $Maggard-Razors-MR1-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-04-350x350.jpg
    $Maggard-Razors-MR1-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-04-350x350.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 487
I too had a great customer service experience there--bought a brush and a little Bastone from Maggards. Seems like good folks who aim to please. Much of their business is straight razor sales and restoration, but they also have DEs soaps cologne etc.
Cheers

I also have the M-1, and it provides an excellent shave, slightly more aggressive than a EJ89. The handle is great for use with other heads, too.

I just ordered an MR1 today. Cassie and Brad are great to deal with. It has already shipped. I look forward to reporting back on it.

Do you think it would be a good somewhat inexpensive razor for a newbie? Because I was actually starting to consider the MR-18 or MR-20 to be the razor I purchase when I get around to purchasing my first DE because the price seemed good.

Well, 48 hours later my new Maggard MR1 is here. I will be using it in the morning and reporting back.

What great customer service!

Bob

$DSCN3300.JPG

OK, I tried my new Maggard MR1 today with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. It seems to be extremely well made and has a good solid feel. The finish is superb. I lathered up with Proraso White and took off. I had a great shave with one small nick on my chin. I am certain that was pressure related on my part. I look forward to breaking myself in on the MR1. Both Casie and Brad are great to deal with. Their customer service and shipping speed is top notch.

Bob

proxy.php

Think I may have to look into getting one of these :001_rolle Also anyone have any idea how these compare aggressive-wise to a Edwin Jagger DE89?

Last edited:
I have doing some stick tests lately and I was using my Super Speed for these. Today, it was back to the MR1. It is more aggressive than the Super Speed and gave me a great, nick and burn free shave this morning. I was using a Gillette Blue and TOBS Avocado with a restored Chesterfield/Carrington Synthetic brush. Thanks Brad and Casie!

Bob

proxy.php

I picked up a Maggard Limited Edition #6 recently. The build quality is top-notch, especially for the price. At first I felt the head was a tad mild compared to my Lord L6 and similar Merkur 20c, but now I'm starting to think they're about the same but with slightly different angles of attack. I'm really hoping they bring back some of the 80g+ Limited Edition handles... supposedly there's supposed to be some new options coming in September.

Top Bottom