What's new

I just swallowed a bug

What do you do if a small bug (mosquito) lands in your mouth while cycling/running?

• Try at all costs to cough it out, bugs are gross.

• Take a big gulp of water and swallow it, bugs are natural nutrition.

• Other, please explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Depends on the bug, but generally I would chew. :letterk1: (voted OTHER)
Nope, not kidding here. I've chewed up worms and spiders (not the big juicy "freshen-up gum" kind through, that's just gross) aplenty to gross out neighbour's kids and my nieces and nephews.

My respect is gone for you. I'd like my TOBS Sandalwood back now.

One summer, when I was like 5 years old, I churned up a wasp's nest, and while running away--miserable unlucky wretch that I am--I swallowed--you're not going to believe this--a bumble bee. Needless to say, I had an upset stomach. Worse, I found out I'm allergic to wasp stings and spent the next two weeks of my summer vacation deathly sick in bed.

I voted for swallow on the theory that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Protein good! Wait till you ride though a cobweb and get a mouth full of web with dead bugs. yummy

I, like most mountain bikers I know will try to cough them out but baring that a good drink helps wash them down.

Protein good! Wait till you ride though a cobweb and get a mouth full of web with dead bugs. yummy

I, like most mountain bikers I know will try to cough them out but baring that a good drink helps wash them down.

yes, I've had that happen before many times. It's also why I make sure to always have water with me, regardless of how long a ride I'm going for or even if it's just a fun ride with the kids.

One summer, when I was like 5 years old, I churned up a wasp's nest, and while running away--miserable unlucky wretch that I am--I swallowed--you're not going to believe this--a bumble bee. Needless to say, I had an upset stomach. Worse, I found out I'm allergic to wasp stings and spent the next two weeks of my summer vacation deathly sick in bed.

I voted for swallow on the theory that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Yikes...I've never swallowed an insect that big! I've had a few bounce off me and freak me out, but never had one land in my mouth.

Well, I voted other. I ride every day to work, and used to ride upwards of 500+ miles a week. Most of my long rides were through farm and wine country, so lots of bugs. I usually try to keep my mouth closed when riding, I'm not a basking shark afterall, if I did get some I would take a swig of water and spit it out. No doubt I have swallowed many bugs, but with West Nile virus still going strong here in the valley I try to avoid it.

One of the freakiest experiances I had was a worker bee getting stuck behind the lens of my glasses! Having it so close to my eye ball when riding at 20+ was a real treat. I did not get stung, but it sure made me dive for the gravel at the shoulder of the road! Another time I found a bunch of lady bugs in my jersey pocket, I'm thinking I picked them up while eating and resting against a grape vine during that ride. It was weird.

-Xander

Another time I found a bunch of lady bugs in my jersey pocket, I'm thinking I picked them up while eating and resting against a grape vine during that ride. It was weird.

That is weird. At least it wasn't anything worse the lady bugs.

One big hack and a loogie is my first response...but if that doesn't work? Down the hatch...

Bugs are gross, but not that scary where I'd stop the bike.

Bugs are gross, but not that scary where I'd stop the bike.

I think that's what I was trying to say when I suggested gulping it.

If a bug gets in my mouth, I try to dislodge it, but won't stop my bike to do so.

No bugs swallowed today....just some ice cream.

That's me on the right :001_tt2:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
When I bought my first car a 60 Ford Falcon with those triangular window on the side that one can turn to moderate the wind, I had it angled just perfect so it hit my face as it was boiling that day. Well, that day, that moment a bee thought it a great idea to fly into that window and lodge at 20 mph into my mouth as I traveled down a residential section. Luckily the widow took most of the impact but I really was able to spit it out real fast. It was still alive and he was mad as all get out! Had a lot of fight in him. I pulled over and threw him out.

Top Bottom