What's new

Is this a decent pack?

I'm not personally a fan of external frame backpacks, but some people like them. My biggest concern with this pack is the weight. It weighs over 7 pounds, which is a ton for a backpack. Many full-featured 65L packs are around 4.5 to 5 pounds, with some lightweight ones weighing 3 to 3.5 pounds. Then again, you won't be getting any of those for $50, even on clearance. As far as size, I'd consider a 65L backpack to be quite big for an overnight or even two night hike. I carry a 50L pack for 3-season hikes of several days or less. Without seeing what you want to bring, though, it's difficult to say that the pack is too big.

IMHO, nothing beats a good old fashioned large Alice Rucksack. They can hold more than enough for a few nights, and if you find one at a Mil-Surp store, or ebay, they usually only run $20-$30 tops.

IMHO, nothing beats a good old fashioned large Alice Rucksack. They can hold more than enough for a few nights, and if you find one at a Mil-Surp store, or ebay, they usually only run $20-$30 tops.

Almost anything beats a good old fashioned ALICE Rucksack. They are horrific for backpacking, but perhaps great for other stuff (buck hunting). They only good thing about them is you can pass them down to your grandchildren. They'll last forever, but you pay for it in weight.

Honestly, I hate that backpack. I can't believe it's 7 lbs. That's a ton. In comparison, my usual backpack is about 2.5 lbs, and my ultralight is less than a pound.

We ask new Scout parents to buy backpacks last, after sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove(if they wish), etc. This way, they buy a pack to fit their gear. And packs tend to shrink in size and weight.

Almost anything beats a good old fashioned ALICE Rucksack. They are horrific for backpacking, but perhaps great for other stuff (buck hunting). They only good thing about them is you can pass them down to your grandchildren. They'll last forever, but you pay for it in weight.
I think an ALICE pack is great for some purposes, but not all. They are inexpensive, but heavy. They have a lot of features and attachments, but not being a recreational back packer I'm not sure those are the features and attachments you want for a few nights in the woods. Another consideration is that ALICE gear was replaced by the MOLLE system long enough ago that I'm no longer certain the ALICE gear is as readily available as it once was.

A large ALICE pack in the trunk of each car to holds my survival gear. Hindsight being 20/20 a medium probably would do the job. They are cheap enough that I don't mind them sitting ready most of the time but seeing little actual use. That being said, if I really had to use it I would probably analyze the situation, dump everything that I didn't need, and just use it as a day pack to hold the stuff I figured I needed to get out of the current predicament.

If I were planning on routinely needing a day or weekend pack I'd probably be looking for something else that was lighter and had built in hydration.

Get fitted at an REI or similar place first. Darn, that thing is heavy. See what it's like loaded up.
My Arcteryx 65L weighs about 80 oz. Got it in Tall (I'm 6'5") at REI on sale (scored it for under $200). First pack I found that fit and the hip belt worked. Several others not on sale did not. I saw that you are of average height, but oh boy, do they all fit differently.

My biggest concern with this pack is the weight. It weighs over 7 pounds, which is a ton for a backpack. Many full-featured 65L packs are around 4.5 to 5 pounds, with some lightweight ones weighing 3 to 3.5 pounds.

When you buy a serious pack like that, you probably will carry too much stuff in it for the weight of the pack itself to be too important. The most important thing for it is to be comfortable. I used to carry 85 pounds in my pack in the army sometimes for more than 100 kilometers, and if the pack isn't comfortable, you're in a big, big trouble. But it being comfortable is also a matter of your skills - it's important to know how to carry it so it will be manageable. Also, it's important to know how to walk right, etc'.

When you buy a serious pack like that, you probably will carry too much stuff in it for the weight of the pack itself to be too important. The most important thing for it is to be comfortable. I used to carry 85 pounds in my pack in the army sometimes for more than 100 kilometers, and if the pack isn't comfortable, you're in a big, big trouble. But it being comfortable is also a matter of your skills - it's important to know how to carry it so it will be manageable. Also, it's important to know how to walk right, etc'.

Every ounce counts. I use a sturdy 70 liter pack that's a smooth 1.5 kilos. But all the gear that goes in rates at 9.5 kilos.

I agree that comfort is key though! Proper fitting and modding a pack can and should be done.

I have always used an ALICE pack, something to be said for a pack that falls out of an airplane and only pops a rivet. Not the most comfortable thing on the planet but eventually you'll get used to it.

Levi 550 vs 505. It really matters what will fit you and how you will haul it with contents so to tell you the truth your size and weight as well as the pack's has nothing to do with your decision since it will have to fit your needs.

Top Bottom