What's new

Best pre shave cream?

Been using this alot, i have many preshaves, this is probably the one i like the most, 4 drops on wet skin, rub in, let it sit for a few minutes...

proxy.php

My pleasure.
colloidal oatmeal, glycerin, lanolin, shea butter, aloe vera juice, witch hazel. Oils of peppermint, lemon eucalyptus, blue chamomile, tea tree, jojoba, bio oil, hemp, vit e and sweet almond. melt the waxes and add the rest and blend for a while. Apply after a shower, wait 2 minutes (while I strop the razor) and then lather and shave. Game changer for me.

My pleasure.
colloidal oatmeal, glycerin, lanolin, shea butter, aloe vera juice, witch hazel. Oils of peppermint, lemon eucalyptus, blue chamomile, tea tree, jojoba, bio oil, hemp, vit e and sweet almond. melt the waxes and add the rest and blend for a while. Apply after a shower, wait 2 minutes (while I strop the razor) and then lather and shave. Game changer for me.

That is a very complex homemade concoction. And I have to admit it appeals to me more than those who say "just use olive/castor oil". I'm not suggesting simply using one oil isn't fine, if it works for you. But a single oil solution is far different from most commercial products. Bravo to your advance solution!

Castle Forbes pre-shave is a big step up from Proraso. CF is the only pre-shave that I use.
I've looked for a cheaper substitute but nothing else I've tried compares to CF for me.

For pre shave cream, does anyone else put some soap lather on right as you lead the brush and then let it sit as you make the "real" lather? I have no idea if it makes a difference, but I like to think so. As for pre shave oils, using some homemade stuff, I haven't really noticed anything much.

I usually wash my face with soap and let it sit while I load my brush, then I rinse the soap off and face lather. I've done the same process with Noxema (classic and moisturizing) and also with Cremo cream.

IMHO, the best pre-shave is to wash your face first, regardless of whether you use soap/Noxema/Cremo, and then you will get a better shave.

I often leave the soap on my face while I brush my teeth, then I rinse the soap off and face lather.

At this moment, I like Cremo best as a pre-shave because it smells so good! It smells like orange juice and orange peels.

I use Cremo Face Wash to wash my face in the shower. Applied with a Dr. Sponge.

I prefer pre-shave oils to creams.

My favorite pre-shave oils are Village Barber Shaving Oil, The Gentlemens Refinery Pre-Shave Oil and Crown Shaving Co's Pre-Shave Glide. Although they're very different from each other, all three do a fantastic job of conditioning my skin, which is why I use a pre-shave oil. They also provide slickness and protection, but those are lower down on my list of priorities since my shaving creams already do a good job of that.

I've used the Edwin Jagger, the Proraso pre/post, and Noxzema, and I like the Noxzema best. It seems just a bit more protective than the other stuff, and the cost is lower as well.

I used to use Noxzema, then Razorock pre shave soap and then the Proraso green. The proraso was the one that gave me the best results.

But then I tried the new red pre shave proraso (sandalwood scent) and it's even better than the green one, maybe because of the shea butter ingredient.

Recently I've been using Dial cranberry glycerin soap as a pre wash and pre shave soap. My wife bought a big pack of it, so I thought I would give it a try. I wash, rinse and rub the bar on my face against the grain, rub with fingers a little, very slick. Then apply lather for each pass, for me this works very good and does not overpower my soaps and creams. I was using noxzema cream moisturizing, and had good results with this also, and I added some lime essential oil to it, but it does clog a little. I dont get that with the soap, and I'm getting closer shaves with no irritation.

Like many others, I have found that Noxzema's Classic Clean provides excellent pre-shave lubrication. And at $3.79 (USD) at WalMart, who can complain?

Top Bottom