What's new

A free lesson for custom razor makers (AND BUYERS) - brought to you by Bill Ellis....

Supply... and demand. Simple economics - yet often in a time of high demand, and low supply you end up with.... err.... umm.... well.... sub par products. It isn't so much that companies CAN'T make near perfect products, or that they are "lazy" - but more so... most "products" are created for PROFIT, and in a time of high demand and low supply... well... you can mosey along and make products at your own pace - keeping quality and attention to detail at a near perfect level... or you can start churning out product like mad, at a lower level of quality to meet demand.

If you aren't following me - let me explain... new straight razors are being sold with terrible fit and finish, and quite a few custom razor makers are really taking advantage of this tremendous "demand" and selling very expensive poor quality products for unreasonable prices. As an avid knife collector I know what skilled craftsman are capable of... go to a knife show and all of a sudden some of these "highly sought after custom" razors will start to look pretty **** poor, and WILDLY overpriced.

Hell - many have never even SEEN a truly PERFECT razor, a razor worthy of being called a "custom" and worthy of being highly sought after - due to the tremendous attention to detail, the BEST possible quality of materials, the PERFECT fit and finish. It is with that, I bring you a lesson in quality, fit and finish, attention to detail - and flawless perfection.... brought to you by Mr. Bill Ellis.

Study the photos below - the extreme detail, fit and finish, grinding, uniform polish, incredible uniformity, and simply flawless execution - and compare it to ANY razor and ANY price from ANY maker and you'll very quickly conclude the Ellis is simply on another level... period.

Let's begin.

full

full

Look at how incredibly thin and even the aluminum backing/support is? How many even put these on most scales, and when they do - they are exceptionally crude and thick....
full

Close up of the pin - ZERO hammering marks, and incredibly classy - both sides identical. No silly hex screws, or the like. Some may LIKE adjustments for the pin... but if it's pinned perfectly - you never need to adjust it :wink:
full

Look at the pins! Notice, they look like that on BOTH side... even upon VERY close inspection, you cannot even see hammer marks - it almost looks like they've been glued to the hinge. Notice - the DETAILS, the incredibly near touch of the emerald inlaid into the tang - with Bill's markings on the opposite side of the razor (not typical) to keep the traditional front of the razor's blade completely clean/unmarked - WAIT, notice something even cooler? The worked spine on the top, and on the lower part of the tang (jimps) is a DIFFERENT pattern.....
full

"Drill Bit" pattern across the spine....
full

"Barbed" pattern for the bottom of the tang - which provides outstanding grip/feel....
full

"Barbed" pattern from the side - executed to PERFECTION with extreme detail, perfectly matching the pattern both sides, with the exact same spacing. This pattern provides incredible control and allows you to roll the razor with ease...
full

Now - this is something that REALLY separates the men from the boys. Look at the clearance for the edge of the razor as the razor closes. I mean - literally, at it's longest point, there is a (again - literally) hair's clearance. Making scales is hard enough - but to make scales where the blade is PERFECTLY centered (I put it in a caliper) and the clearance is NASA tight - is simply unheard of with almost ANY other razor maker. Take your custom razor.... measure how on/off center the blade is, and the amount of clearance the blade has at the end of the scales.... bet it's not even in the same comparable category....
full

full

Look at the tip of the blade.... it's rounded - so imagine what the clearance is at the longest point of that blade! Note: it never, NEVER touches the wedge/spacer...
full

Look at the grind on this razor at the crown.... I mean it is PERFECTLY even/proportional. Please realize how incredibly difficult this is to do....
full

If you haven't noticed yet... the scales are on an entirely different level. I have had CA coats from several makers - and from quite a few knife makers, but NOTHING I have ever experience can rival the absolutely flawless CA coat on this Ambonya Burl. Even if you put the scales under magnification, ZERO sanding scratches, NO irregularities, I mean it is as perfect as humanely possible. Also - take notice of the wood..... have you EVER seen Ambonya Burl that amazing? Maybe.... but you simply aren't going to get finer materials than what Mr. Ellis is using....
full

full

full

AMAZING scales.....
full

Now... pictures are great... but you cannot take a picture of how the razor feels, the unbelievable ergonomics, the way he designs the front of the scales to fit beautifully against your hands when using - and how you can rest your thumb on the front of them. Pictures cannot tell you how this razor opens as if it was on a ball bearing hinge with PERFECTLY uniform resistance, smooth as glass, yet not loose/floppy in the SLIGHTEST. Pictures can only tell part of the story - and I delve into detail TOO much, suffice to say if you hold this razor in your hands and examine it, then pick up ANY other makers work, at ANY price.... you're quickly wishing that Ellis was still in your hands.

To me... this razor is simply priceless. The incredible time, energy, passion, design, eye for detail - and exceptional skill that was required to make this work of art is simply mind boggling.

Lesson's over fellas.... let's give Mr. Ellis a warm round of applause!
full

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW. That is simply astounding. Pretty much the nicest craftsmanship I've ever seen on anything. Seriously.

-Mo

Joel,
That is an absolutely beautiful blade. It's hard to comprehend that someone has the talent to do that, let alone the patience.
But...as with anything quality like that comes a price tag attached,and most of us will never be able to justify the cost for the pleasure.
I'm not trying to be negative there,just getting to a different point.
That reason is why I'm sure alot of us are so thrilled about the Le Grelot,it maybe as close to a custom that alot of us will get.
Just want you to know how much we appreciate that effort on our behalf.
Enjoy shaving with that beauty,looks like it will be fun.
Sorry if I rambled :blushing:
Bob

wow-

bill's work always amazes me. a razor from him will be my first over a hundred dollar razor purchase (i know- well over a hundred). i have been very happy with a lot of my vintage clean uppers. if i am going big... i will go bill ellis big!

btw- thank you joel for the excellent photos! (as always)

cheers,
ryan

One more thing to point out......

Take a look at this photo - which is also shown above.....
full

Notice anything weird? Doesn't it look like you can see through the blade to the other side of the scales? The razor is SO perfect and everything is so symmetrical and matches so perfectly, and the grind is so even that the REFLECTION of the blade looks like a seamless part of the scales on the other side.

How cool is that?

One more thing to point out......

Take a look at this photo - which is also shown above.....
full

Notice anything weird? Doesn't it look like you can see through the blade to the other side of the scales? The razor is SO perfect and everything is so symmetrical and matches so perfectly, and the grind is so even that the REFLECTION of the blade looks like a seamless part of the scales on the other side.

They do it with mirrors...

But seriously, Joel. You've convinced me to take a pass on that "Le Grelot" straight razor. I mean, how could I ever be happy with it, knowing that these Bill Ellis razors are out there, and that there might be one with my name on it! Hey, it could happen!!

LOL! Made ya look, made ya look. I'm still "in" (or is it "down"?) for the "Le Grelot".

I feel much of the same awe and satisfaction, looking at Bill Ellis's custom straight razors, and his restorations of other people's razors are equally skillful and worthy of attention. I enjoy watching his Restoration CD, and almost everything I've learned (and managed to apply) has been from him. Makes me wish I was in my mid-20s, after the Army, so that maybe, just maybe, I could apprentice under him and learn the trade as it ought to be done.

That is gorgeous. I'd like to eventually get into straight razors for the beauty alone. Nothing like cutting your hair with the finest tool you know of or own!

One question though, what did it cost? From your description is sounds like it cost as much as any other high end razor (~$400?) but is even higher quality than the others.

Bill makes his razors like a knife maker. Take a look at the grinding. That is amazing stuff. Check any or all of your razors and you won't find one that is as proportionally perfect!

Wow Bill...what a razor! :w00t:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
...and the filework...don't get me started!

... personal opinion, I prefer no filework but smooth, clean lines instead.

That said, this filework is pretty dang impressive. :thumbup1: The whole thing is something special ... even just the photos are convincing of that. I can only imagine how much better it must be "in person". :w00t:

thanks for sharing!!

That is gorgeous. I'd like to eventually get into straight razors for the beauty alone. Nothing like cutting your hair with the finest tool you know of or own!

One question though, what did it cost? From your description is sounds like it cost as much as any other high end razor (~$400?) but is even higher quality than the others.

I seriously doubt joel is going to tell you what it cost. That said, I'm guessing to buy a razor like that from Bill is a large step north of your guess. And I do mean large.

I seriously doubt joel is going to tell you what it cost. That said, I'm guessing to buy a razor like that from Bill is a large step north of your guess. And I do mean large.

It was a group buy :wink:

Seriously - I picked this one up at the same time....
full

Top Bottom