What's new

RR Brain Freeze

To preface, every time Joe puts something new out I buy it, even usually with duplicates. I don't know if my hopes were too high or if I was expecting something along the lines of Vostok but I'm slightly disappointed in it. The protection wasn't there either, although I won't state definitively as I used it only once so far.

Experiences? Thoughts?

The balm, as all of Joe's balms was great, but I found myself still longing for something more along the title of Brain Freeze...​ :(

I found it very mildly cooling - certainly not what I would expect give the name "brain freeze". It's less cooling then Proraso which is already too mild for my tastes.

However the other qualities of the soap were great, I managed to get creamy protective lather from it on par with rest of the KoTC line.

First shave in with the RRBF. If the name did not imply something wickedly frigid but was something like "Canadian Spring" then all would be good. It simply is not cold. Perhaps slightly cool but not more. Like rand77, I got an excellent shave from the lather. I used a Simpsons KH4 and really took my time loading. My reward was creamy and slick lather. Very nice during and post shave feel. All was well except for the lack of chill.

RR is not in the wiki's Abbreviation section. RazoRock? (Sorry, I'm fairly new)

Yup, Razorock!

I received a sample from a generous member. I've only sniffed it, but I've lathered and shaved with XX from the new line. The sniff, I'm sad to say did nothing for me. Its just a simple menthol scent. Not for me!

Brain Freeze is a very nice soap, but there's no freeze. I only get a very, very mild cooling effect.

Update: This morning I tested the soft soap version. The chill factor was more evident but still on the lower on of the spectrum. The lather was nice just not "brain freeze" cold.

I was very impressed by the performance of this croap. I understand and agree the cooling factor is not there. I used the peppermint shave lube prior to applying Brainfreeze, so I had a tingle prior to lathering. I finished with Krampert's Frostbite, which had a tingle, but not the effect of 20-30 minute face freeze.

Overall, this combination of products gave me one of the best shaves to date. Not face freezing as advertised, but left my skin feeling the best it ever has!

I tried it today. I agree that it's not cold. The lather is fantastic though, and I got a great smooth shave. I also love the scent, very near to S. Maria to my nose, which is wonderful.

XX was the real hype with the Castle line next. XX is the real deal, incredible soap for the money. If you want Chill check out Stirling Frozen Tundra and then Kramperts FB after.

What I don't understand is, why call it Brain Freeze when it's not Freezing cold like Vostok and some others? The name clearly implies it and everything everyone is saying is that its not.

I'm pretty sure everyone who read the name figured it would be along those lines and not a mild chill at best.

And it was released during the summer months when guys buy super mentholated soaps??? I'm glad i got Frozen Tundra when i did. That one is a home run to me.

What I don't understand is, why call it Brain Freeze when it's not Freezing cold like Vostok and some others? The name clearly implies it and everything everyone is saying is that its not.

I'm pretty sure everyone who read the name figured it would be along those lines and not a mild chill at best.

Exactly. The name implies something that the soap/croap does not deliver. A different name and all would be good. I still think they are good products just not as advertised.

Let's do this. I went for it - ordered me up some Vostok soap and after shave. Bring on the freeze! :scared:

I'll probably swing for the Krampert's at some point along with some Proraso. Might as well take it to the extreme to start with, right? Heh.

Right on! I don't think you'll be disappointed! Did you get the cream or the soap? I think its been said the cream is a little colder than the soap. But I've tried both and they were both too much for me! The cream btw is more of a hard cream or soft soap. Either way I hope you enjoy. QCS makes a good product. Be sure and let us know here how you'd compare it to the Brain Freeze :biggrin1:

Exactly. The name implies something that the soap/croap does not deliver. A different name and all would be good. I still think they are good products just not as advertised.
I wish I'd researched a bit more, too; I bough the soft version of the Brain Freeze thinking it would be something more mentholated. Oh well. I love TFS soap performance and love the pricing, anyway, so I'm sure it'll be ok.

I love the Krampert's Frostbite. (I'm not sure if it's as immediately cold as the Vostok AS balm, I think not if memory serves. But the cold lasts longer by about 15 minutes, which is unbelievably awesome. I'm more a splash guy, but QCS makes the best balms I've used, I think, and the Vostok IS cold! Smells like a peppermint patty, but the scent disappears pretty quick. Frostbite has a lot more going on in the scent department after the initial menthol haze).

Last edited:
sorry to hear about the Brain Freeze.
I never thought about menthol that much until I tried first Proraso green, then QCS Iced Key Lime. The latter is definitely over the top, but in an awesome way.

Thought I'd give another plug back to Razorock here, since its fresh on my face. A good RR product that gives a nice chill is the Don Marco ASB. Not over the top but solid chill, and it smells great. It's non greasy and absorbs quick. I typically dislike balms of any kind, but this one I'll use. It's a good one!

Top Bottom