What's new

3 kinds of Iwasakis?

Hi, I read somewhere in these forums that there are in fact 3 different models of Iwasakis Japanese straight razors. Does anyone know anymore about these?

I do know of two. There are the basic ones and then the ones made from Ball Steel. I think I read a post where Joel mentioned a third kind, very expensive.

Three kinds. All three have a black Jigane iron handle

1.) Swedish Steel (incorrectly referred to as Hagane on some sites selling them)
2.) Ball Steel (If memory serves me correctly, it is often referred to as Shiro #4)
3.) Tamahagane

Swede's cost between $300-325, the Japanese Ball Steel Shiro #4 run about $400-425, and IF you can even find one, the Tamahagane's (which look the same) are well over $1500.

I looked it up and Tamahagane steel is actually the raw steel Japanese swords were historically made with. It was an incredible blade steel that was made from a specific process that removed the imperfections from low quality ore. I wonder if the Tamahagane model is made from this handmade steel using ancient techniques, which would explain the high cost. I'm not sure if this steel could surpass the best steels of today but I'm sure it must be awesome regardless, and the value of that kind of craftsmanship is definitely something to give high regards.

Interesting...

I looked it up and Tamahagane steel is actually the raw steel Japanese swords were historically made with. It was an incredible blade steel that was made from a specific process that removed the imperfections from low quality ore. I wonder if the Tamahagane model is made from this handmade steel using ancient techniques, which would explain the high cost. I'm not sure if this steel could surpass the best steels of today but I'm sure it must be awesome regardless, and the value of that kind of craftsmanship is definitely something to give high regards.

Interesting...

It is made of that steel - hence the cost. It shaves exceptionally well - but isn't much better than the Ball Steel model - if better at all. I have the ball steel and the Tamahagane...

Top Bottom