What's new

Is it cheating to use a trimmer before a shave?

One idea I have been toying with to help shave my biggest nemesis - the edge and right under my left chin (I am right handed) - to use my electric trimmer to trim the stubble down for a few seconds then shower prep and shave as usual. I realize that this is my technique since I can shave the right side of my chin with some effort, but I can't seem to mimic the technique for the other side or for right under the tip of my chin. I've tried bullfrogging, skin stretching, grain mapping (hair goes from my left to my right), approaching it WTG/XTG/ATG, and different razors and blades (Slant 39c seems to work the best and gets "stuck" the least, Astra blade).

Shower prep, RazoRock or Mike's soap with lather. Have tried with cool water vs warm/hot - no real difference in shaving so far.

Eventually I'd like to get my technique to the point of a DFS shave in this area without irritation, but I'm thinking of trying the trimmer. Does anyone else do this?

Yes, it is cheating and punishable by death.

In January we do a month long beard growing contest here on base, 14 Wing Greenwood (I'm part of the Royal Canadian Air Force), as a fund raiser. It all comes off with a straight razor :)

PS. man I love Teppanyaki.

Hell no! If I have a weeks growth, why clutter the razor with a bunch of brush. Get that out of there. Use that trimmer. Leave the surgery for the surgical tools - the razors.

At the end of the day, what works for you is just fine. If you can get the results you want from using the trimmer in this manner, I don't think any of us can fault you for it. Obviously, a majority of us prefer DE/Straight razors for everything so you'd be going about it a little differently than most of us. However, YMMV is probably the most commonly posted phrase around here - and if your mileage varies to such a degree that something that works perfectly for your isn't the preference of another member here, so be it. You got the shave you wanted.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When I shaved with a cartridge I almost always had to use an electric beforehand. I could get away with just the cartridge if I had a 1 day growth. anything more and I had to use electric first.

with a DE I've had no trouble shaving a 3 day beard with a Feather. Anything more I think i would use the electric first just because it would make the shave more comfortable.

Do what works for you. If you don't tell us your cheating with a lowly no-good 2 bit electric hack job so-called razor to overcome your inabilities as a true wetshaver, what would we care?:laugh: If it works for you and you enjoy it, do it.:thumbup1:

Do what works for you. If you don't tell us your cheating with a lowly no-good 2 bit electric hack job so-called razor to overcome your inabilities as a true wetshaver, what would we care?:laugh: If it works for you and you enjoy it, do it.:thumbup1:

I laughed out loud when I read this!

Try learning to shave the left side with the left hand, it's tricky but once you get the hang of it, seems second nature.

I concur with all the other brothers out there...you do what works for you! I don't consider it cheating because not everyone is built the same or faces the same challenges. Remember, this is truly La Cosa Nostra, "our thing" so do what works best. Best of luck!

I had to use a trimmer if more than a few days growth when using cartridge type razors but I don't recall it being a problem with DE although its never a problem with straight razors obviously.

Top Bottom