What's new

Darn Near There

Yesterday marked a milestone for me. I have been having some success at razor sharpening, but I wasn't quite there. I have been using my straight off and on for quite awhile, but it just didn't cut it (no pun intended). Yesterday I came across a stone (Washita?) that I bought maybe 30 years ago and seldom used. I have been using the Norton 4/8 and a pasted strop. the thing is that I guess I wasn't quite ready for the pasted strop. Anyway; after using the Washita I stropped the razor (Sears "Queen") that had belonged to my father who passed away 9 years ago. The razor didn't cut the whiskers, it melted through them. I think I am catching on finally. The thing about the Washita is that it is only about 1 3/4 inches wide. Today I ordered a 12 K Chinese water-stone from Woodcraft as suggested by I think Joel. I truly believe I am over the hump, and on my way to smooth shaving.:tongue_sm
Time will tell.:wink:
Ken.

Yesterday I came across a stone (Washita?) that I bought maybe 30 years ago and seldom used.

A Washita stone is generic term for an Arkansas stone. Certain types of arkansas will put a wicked edge on a razor - Blacks and Translucents particularly, though they are slow like a barber's hone. If the stone says "Best Washita" or something like that, and it's old enough then it's definitely possible - I've got a "Best" grade stone that is a translucent. White or gray translucents look just like normal arkansas stones because the factory cutting and polishing wheels leave a slightly frosted finish. But if it's a translucent you can see sunlight through it, even a thick (1"+) stone, because it's just the frosted surface that makes it look solid.

This is a gray/green stone that is not translucent. It is however, soft and quite fine. I sure wish it were wider so I wouldn't feel the need to buy another stone. I'm just not comfortable using a narrow stone for a razor.
Ken.

Ken,
Make sure you flatten that Chinese 12K before you use it! :thumbup1:

My new Chinese 12K stone came today.:smile: I promptly laid out a 3/8" grid with a pencil on both sides, then slipped the stone into water to soak for 30 minutes. After the soak I used my diamond impregnated hone to flatten the stone (Quick work) I used the coarse side on the DIH then the fine side. I doubt that I spent 20 minutes flattening both sides. As reported, I honed two of my favorite razors with the 12K, then stropped and shaved with one of them. What a nice surprise to have a blade so sharp that my whiskers didn't even slow the blade down (I didn't really feel them as they were being cut).:001_smile
So this is my chance to thank Joel for his detailed reports of which stones and other equipment are a good deal, and worth buying.
Thanks Joel!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom