What's new

King of the Castle Brain Freeze hard soap Review

The KotC Brain Freeze hard soft is more of a hard soft soap, if that makes sense. All of these hard soaps are more or less the consistency of Proraso soap. The scent is similar to RR 888. I get a bit a Eucalyptus and that's about it. It's a nice clean scent, but not much going on here.

Brain Freeze lathers very easily, and expected of any RazoRock soap. I used an Omega 49 and yogurty lather poured exploded out of the container almost immediately. These soaps work well with the wet brush approach, as expected of any Italian soft soap. No complaints about slickness or protection. Both were top notch. The lather was also very stable. I had no problems with the lather drying out or magically dissapearing as some soaps are prone to doing. After the first shave, I had no nicks, cuts, or any irritation. Just a great shave.

Now comes my only negative about this soap. This soap is named "Brain Freeze," which I find somewhat of an exageragtion. I was expecting a cooling sensation along the lines of Proraso. The menthol content of this soap is nowhere near that. I got at best a very mild cooling sensation. I used cold water, which typically enhances the cooling effect of menthol soaps, and the cooling effect with Brain Freeze was almost imperceptible.

I believe these soaps are produced by TFS, but I can't be certain about that. My basis for thinking that TFS makes the hard soaps, and most likely the KotC soft soaps also, is that the Don Marco Bergamont Neroli intense hard soap, is clearly the made by the same artisan that makes the La Famiglia soaps. Since we know that's TFS, I assume these soaps are made by TFS also.

Overall, I would give this soap about an 8 of 10, with the only negative the lack of cooling sensation. If you're looking for a really good soap with a clean eucalyptus scent, this is one you should try. If you're looing for something to replace Proraso, you'll be disappointed.

Good info! I guess I should have read the description of the soap better before purchasing; I don't like the scent of eucalyptus at all. Oh well, to the BST they go.

I personally liked the more natural eucalyptus scent from the Brain Freeze soap over Proraso. If it was loaded up with menthol, than this would probably be one of my absolute favorites. Everything is great about it, except that it is only mildly cooling.

I personally liked the more natural eucalyptus scent from the Brain Freeze soap over Proraso. If it was loaded up with menthol, than this would probably be one of my absolute favorites. Everything is great about it, except that it is only mildly cooling.

Completely agree. More menthol and this soap would be at the top of my summer rotation.

The face feel with Brain Freeze is very nice, but unlike Proraso no cooling sensation. Based on that, I give Proraso the edge for post shave feel.
This soap reminds me of other eucalyptus based soaps/creams without menthol, like RR 888, Santa Maria, and new(reformulated) Omega soap.

Top Bottom