What's new

Best Method of Shaving for a Newbie

I started with the Edwin DE89, and don't regret it. I also started with an Escali Pure Badger Brush for about $12 on Amazon. It was a great first brush and I just gave it to my brother to get started. In the same category as Proraso is Taylor of Bond Street creams. I recommend them as first creams because of the wide sweet spot for lathering. They truly are hard to screw up and they have about 10 wonderful scents to choose from. They are also economical because the $15 pot will last a long time. Garry can hook you up with samples here on B&B.

Just do what I did: get a straight and a bunch of styptic and start hacking away.

P.s. I did not do that. You should not either. Slash McCoy's recs are the way to go if you are thinking a straight may be in your future. I'm a new straight shaver and I'm thinking of getting a DE to learn on because my son will need to learn to shave in the next few years and I'm a little wary of him starting with a straight

I started DE shaving about a month ago after years of irritation and burn from shaving. Previously I used the Power Fusion cartridge system. On an average shave before going DE I'd have 4-5 nicks or bloodspots.

My DE shaving has been with an Edwin Jagger DE89L which has proven to be a good choice. I've been getting presentable shaves from day one and have had a total of 4 bloodspots in the past 17 shaves. (I started keeping a shave log so I can identify what is working and what isn't.)

Based on my experience I'd recommend the following to anybody wanting to start with a DE:
  • Edwin Jagger DE89 razor (there are three DE89 models with the difference being the pattern on the handle) ~$38-$44
  • A pack of 30 or 100 Astra SP blades ~$10
  • Shaving brush -- Omega's tend to be recommended as a good bang for your buck. ~$20+
  • Prosaro shaving cream ~$10 for a tube

That should cover you for many months. One blade typically does 3-4 shaves.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Get a DE razor, mid-priced brush and easy cream like TOBS. Get 100 Astra blades. Go watch all the Mantic59 videos and Geofatboy videos you can find on YouTube.

Then don't come back here for two months, just shave. You hang around here, you'll be so confused in a couple days you won't know what's up! :lol:

You'll have six razors, a dozen blades, four brushes, sixteen soaps/creams, 14 of which you won't know how to lather, and you'll torture yourself because you won't get your technique down.

One razor, one blade, one brush, one cream. Shave. Sixty days.

THEN come back here and join the party! :cheerful:

I'm only half joking. Shower first then shave, keep watching Mantic's vids. Take your time. You don't need a blade sampler, you can't evaluate blades now anyway, just go with the Astras. You'll get pretty good at it in two months. But if you get a lot of gear, you'll be very frustrated. And this is a great place to hang out after you learn to get a decent shave with no injuries. I love it here. But I honestly sometimes think it's too much information for noobs. Like drinking from a fire hose sometimes.

Good luck!

get a low priced DE razor and sample pack of blades...then get a whipped dog straight razor kit..try the DE for a few months or til you get the hang of it..then try a straight razor...then decide which one fells "just right":001_rolle

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I started with the Edwin DE89, and don't regret it. I also started with an Escali Pure Badger Brush for about $12 on Amazon. It was a great first brush and I just gave it to my brother to get started. In the same category as Proraso is Taylor of Bond Street creams. I recommend them as first creams because of the wide sweet spot for lathering. They truly are hard to screw up and they have about 10 wonderful scents to choose from. They are also economical because the $15 pot will last a long time. Garry can hook you up with samples here on B&B.

Chris beat me to it! The Edwin Jagger is a great first razor (or forever razor, stick it on a bulldog handle and it's a real classic!). Also, for the first few weeks, because you are learning and 'programming' new, fine motor skills, I suggest you wrap the handle with rubber bands for a couple weeks. While you are manipulating it around your face with soapy hands, it will make you more confident. You'll lose the rubber band in due time.

The reason blade samplers are a bad idea is that they can feel radically different. You hone your skills with a comfy moderately sharp blade then go to a sharper blade you can be in for some razor burn and you won't know why. Different razors have different angles and blade gaps and that will throw off getting your technique down, too. One razor with one blade for two months will let you really get to know your face and the process and at that point, you may have a lot of fun trying different products. But not now.

Top Bottom