Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New B&B Front Page

I like it, looks good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    One thing to keep in mind... it's not even CLOSE to finished. Everything (pretty much) you loved about the front page will be there - plus a HECK of a lot more! Gotta give us a week or so though - as there is just two of us, and we'll be bangin' away this week to get a bunch of content and features up.

I'm quite confident you'll REALLY like it. The previous front page wasn't all that usable and didn't give much - if any info to a first time user. I think the new front page will be a heck of a lot more fun/interesting!
    I knew if I waited long enough, I'd get it in writing.
    Last edited by ouch; 01-20-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Images

Default Simple "Cover Page" - Looks good to me

I'll find my way about in time.
    Everything is still there - just a page down (or so).

Well done.
    [FONT=Georgia]:yinyang:[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
    The view that shaving (or any aspect of one's life) may be artful is not shared by all - because it is civilized, lyric and pure. These are acquired obsessions.

2bits

iron maiden is offline The ever-elusive, asinine, puerile, and yes, often regrettable custom title....

nice job, Nick....looks really good
    -David, but everybody calls me Dave

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post

But was it really necessary to increase the font size?

I guess it's good that it's just two of them though...
    Limecat can never die!!! Unless he gets curious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    One thing to keep in mind... it's not even CLOSE to finished. Everything (pretty much) you loved about the front page will be there - plus a HECK of a lot more! Gotta give us a week or so though - as there is just two of us, and we'll be bangin' away this week to get a bunch of content and features up.

I'm quite confident you'll REALLY like it. The previous front page wasn't all that usable and didn't give much - if any info to a first time user. I think the new front page will be a heck of a lot more fun/interesting!
    That's a little TOO much information!!

8. Default

Who let the pre-schoolers in!
    - Joel
    joel (at) badgerandblade.com

Images

There's nothing "suggestive" -- where's the fun in that?

You can't wrap fish 'n chips in it, and you can't use it to line the bottom of the bird's cage, so at least give us something sexy. Hell, if it's good enough for the Brits (and I have heard that our own Dr. Simon reads the tabloids), then it oughta be good enough for us. And some flashy banner-adverts, as well; promising 1/4-hollow 6/8" NOS blades, with fetching figural scales... you know what I'm talking about. D'ya think I contributed all that money, just so I could upload some !@#$% photos of my SOTD setup??!

Thumbs up

Excellent Work
    Jerry
    :001_005:

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Socrates[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Very nice, and I'm happy to hear that it's a work-in-progress. My question, though, is this: will the forums be updated as well in terms of looks, such that there is greater consistency between the two styles? I'm mainly looking at the "tab" graphics, but font and colors are part of the question as well.
    David

Ok, I've had some time to stare at the new design and generally I think it's good. There is one thing, however, that bugs me... that RSS feed button in the top-right is a little massive and doesn't fit the color scheme too well. I'd like to suggest either shrinking it or bringing it in line with the soothing blue scheme the rest of the site has rather than panic button orange.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpotatochip View Post
    Ok, I've had some time to stare at the new design and generally I think it's good. There is one thing, however, that bugs me... that RSS feed button in the top-right is a little massive and doesn't fit the color scheme too well. I'd like to suggest either shrinking it or bringing it in line with the soothing blue scheme the rest of the site has rather than panic button orange.
    The RSS icon is sort of the industry standard. Maybe we need more orange elsewhere on the page to balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by letterk View Post
    The RSS icon is sort of the industry standard. Maybe we need more orange elsewhere on the page to balance it out.
    The icon, yes, but it comes in different colors. Basically, if it exists people have customized it.

Images

Thanks for all the ideas so far guys. Just to answer some of the more prevalent ones:

1. I am actively working on recovering some of the useful forum functions that were on the previous front page, like a log in, and a new posts link. Showing the last X posts might be a little tricky, but I'm looking into it too.

2. Yes the RSS icon is horrid, and yes, it will be changed.

3. Will the forum skin be updated too? That's a tough one. There was a push for a snazzier looking forum template about a year ago that was pretty resolutely poopooed.

4. You most certainly can line a bird-cage with the front page, it just seems like a waste of a perfectly good LCD screen!

5. One of these days Jay!!!

6. It's not perfect yet, but it's a start. I have to admit, I'm a little surprised by how many people actually start their visit here by going to the front page. I always saw it as pretty worthless and always went straight to the forums.

Thanks again for the input guys.

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas so far guys. Just to answer some of the more prevalent ones:

1. I am actively working on recovering some of the useful forum functions that were on the previous front page, like a log in, and a new posts link. Showing the last X posts might be a little tricky, but I'm looking into it too.

2. Yes the RSS icon is horrid, and yes, it will be changed.

3. Will the forum skin be updated too? That's a tough one. There was a push for a snazzier looking forum template about a year ago that was pretty resolutely poopooed.

4. You most certainly can line a bird-cage with the front page, it just seems like a waste of a perfectly good LCD screen!

5. One of these days Jay!!!

6. It's not perfect yet, but it's a start. I have to admit, I'm a little surprised by how many people actually start their visit here by going to the front page. I always saw it as pretty worthless and always went straight to the forums.

Thanks again for the input guys.

-Nick
    Well, I'm happy. Thanks.

I really miss the ten most recent posts list.
    Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. - Emile Auguste Chartier

Yup- the ten most recent- I could usually just refresh my screen page and get the most recent- but now I need to keep using the internal search by pressing New Posts- not sure how this would effect the over all server situation.

also my saved smiles have reverted to the standards... is this normal?
    QUONDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORTATI

I think we need to see 'The 10 best lines of the day' on there. Ouch takes three, Mr Chip takes three and that leaves four for the other 6,000 of us to share.

Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Must Dash View Post
    I think we need to see 'The 10 best lines of the day' on there. Ouch takes three, Mr Chip takes three and that leaves four for the other 6,000 of us to share.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Do I post that much?

(Next week we can celebrate 2,000 posts )