What's new

What did your Old Man smell like?

He always used Brute, now he is wearing some nasty stuff that I haven't figured out, he needs to switch back to Brute. It was much better for him.

I also remember his willpower when, a 20+ per day smoker he was half way through a pack and decided to quit. He just threw the pack away and stopped.
My Dad did the same thing. He was driving in his 75 Ford LTD and had a terrible pain in his chest, and prayed "God, if you let me live I'll never smoke another cigarette". He wadded up the pack and kept his word. Come to find out that terrible pain was a heart attack. I remember Dad smelled like Speed Stick and the Johnson's baby oil he put in his hair. Funny thing, I recently bought a bottle of Jeris Hair Tonic and it smells just like Dad! I wore it today along with some Speed Stick and went to Sunday Mass with my son, just like Dad did with me, and at the same church, too!

My dad always wore Stetson or some of the other colognes you could get that weren't too expensive. He would never spend $60 on a bottle of cologne. I remember him wearing Old Spice when I was younger...I remember the bottle. It's funny, when I think of my dad no one scent comes to mind. He did always smoke when I was growing up, but he was never over powered by it.

My dad will be 73 tomorrow. I haven't seen him in almost a year, since I moved to San Antonio. My mom died in 06' and for the last year or so my dad has been dating a very nice lady, but very dependent on him and his time. Even when I lived in Tulsa and he was 3 hours away, it was almost impossible to get him out of his little town, even for holidays. There was something always going on with her health or her family that kept him there. It makes me sad to think about it, but I think he is happy.

I guess I'm still coming to terms with him being with someone else. He was 16 and my mom was 13 when they met. My mother never even dated another boy. They were married when my mom was 17 and a senior in High School, as he was going off to the service...basic training in San Antonio strangely enough. My mother devoted her entire life to him and our family. She died far too young at 61 and I'm tearing up even thinking about it. I don't think my mom would have ever dated another man had my dad gone first.

I wish my relationship with my dad was better. It's not bad, just not as close as I'd like. My mom was the glue that held our family together and now that she's gone it's just not the same. Sorry for rattling on so long.

Williams 'Lectric Shave. I always remember waking up as a child to prepare for school and hearing my dad's trusty Noreclo whirring away and then he and the bathroom smelling like Williams.

Old Spice and English Leather. He was a "saver", and when he died I inherited about a dozen pristine bottles of each, which I use in his honor on special occasions.

My grandfather smelled of Old Spice, Brut, or English Leather. Mainly Old Spice. My grandma HATED it. He passed away this Friday at the age of 87. I might have to go buy a bottle of OS after work.

My dad smelled like Avon aftershave mixed with baby powder. He has a large collection of Avon bottles. My mom would always buy him the bottles when the salesman came to the door. He used to put on talcum/ baby powder after every shower.
Lane

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. I didn't have the chance to get to know my grandparents as adults. I wish I had because my memories of them are very strong and filled with love.
Lane

When I was a kid dad smelled like Tabac, he's been using it since 1970 or so. Now, he smells like cheap wine and even cheaper tobacco.

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. I didn't have the chance to get to know my grandparents as adults. I wish I had because my memories of them are very strong and filled with love.
Lane

Thanks. He's the first adult relative I've known to pass away. Kind of weird since I'm in my 40s. We were never close with my dad's side so I've really only had one set of grandparents.

Top Bottom