What's new

What did your Old Man smell like?

Bay Rum, and later in life, Aqua Velva. Dad would have been 99 years old today. He's been gone 8 years now and there's not a day I don't want to call up and share something with him...

My dad has been gone since 1976. I will be thinking about him on Father's Day.

My father steadfastly refused to wear any type of cologne or aftershave. When I was ten years old, I bought him a bottle of Old Spice Lime cologne for Father's Day, and when he passed away 25 years later, it was still in the medicine cabinet, untouched.

He did like to smoke cigars, though. Optimo Claros were his favorite brand, and he also liked Beechnut chewing tobacco, and he'd start each day with a pot of Medalia D'Oro espresso coffe he'd make in a stove-top Bialetti pot. These scents together had a sweet lingering scent that I can't describe, but I'm sure my brother knows what I'm talking about.

Mostly Old Spice and tobacco is what I remember, but he passed away over 30 years ago. I guess that's what I'll wear on sunday in remembrance of him on Father's Day.

Aqua Velva or Old Spice, why did he switch it up? Maybe the seasons, I dunno. Sweaty leather work boots and Skoal tobacco.

My dad really did smell like Tabac, because that was his aftershave since the 60s well into the 80s. When he stopped being able to find it easily in stores, he started going through a series of more modern ones, until I have him a big bottle for Father's Day! Score one for watching your dad shave nostalgia. I used to have a toy DE razor that I would use to shave with my dad. It was awesome.

Also cigarettes until last year. Good for him quitting at his age.

Believe it or not...nothing. My dad used a lemon lime scented foam from a hot lather device, no aftershave and never cologne. He didn't smoke and rarely drank.

Aqua Velva all the way. He's been gone nearly 20 years now, and I still haven't used the stuff (at least not since high school).

Thanks to this thread, I'm putting in a request to my kids: Father's Day is tomorrow. I plan to shave with the birth-quarter rhodium-replated Slim that (surprise!) is going to be my present. But I also want a bottle of Aqua Velva to finish up with.

They're teenagers, but Walgreen's is open late, right?

Last edited:
Dad has really cut back on aftershaves now that he is in his later years. I remember some of his many drugstore aftershaves growing up, but for some reason the one I most associate as being exclusively "his" was Clubman.

Aqua Velva all the way. He's been gone nearly 20 years now, and I still haven't used the stuff (at least not since high school).

Thanks to this thread, I'm putting in an request to my kids: Father's Day is tomorrow. I plan to shave with the birth-quarter rhodium-replated Slim that (surprise!) is going to be my present. But I also want a bottle of Aqua Velva to finish up with.

They're teenagers, but Walgreen's is open late, right?

Great idea. I'm using aqua vela tomorrow in honor of my dad too. Happy Father's Day.

Lagerfeld and sweat.

Someone already mentioned sweat. It is certainly one of Dad's base notes but not in a foul way at all.

He worked very hard and still does. When I'd hear his loud diesel truck pulling up the driveway in the afternoons, I'd run to meet him at the door. No matter how tired he was, he'd lift me up and I remember very well the smell of Lagerfeld and sweat.

Now days, he doesn't do cologne much anymore. He smells like Speed Stick whenever I get to see him. I'm living in Japan right now, but I sure do miss that guy. Thanks for starting this thread. I need to give him a call!

Clubman. THe smell of pinaud brings me right to 8 years old wandering into the bathroom after he had just shaved.

Max

Top Bottom