What's new

Pen Review - Vintage Waterman 54 Flex Nib

$photo 1.jpg

Intro

I have recently started getting into Flex pens and actually bought my first 4 flex pens. Ranging from semi-flex, flex, super-flex, and wet noodle. I will write a review on all of them but this is the only one I have on me as of right now. Flex nibs have definitely given me something to just sit down, relax, and write. It is fun to learn new things to do with them and they don't make bad everyday writers as I write very lightly (probably out of fear of damaging the pen when I first started using FPs)

Construction and Quality

I cannot complain about the construction or quality too much. The latest date on the pen is August 4th, 1903 (see pictures below). This pen is atleast or around 100 years old and it writes pretty great. It is made of Black Chased Hard Rubber. Unfortunately the Black has turned to Brown on all of the pen except the grip. Personally I cannot rate this very high as I believe brown and black should never, under any circumstance go together. And altogether I just really hate brown. But, I bought this pen for the nib, not the look. And I can deal with it. You can probably also see there see there is electric tape around the cap. There are a few holes, 3 that I think are just there from manufacturing and 2 from the missing clip. I put tape around it because I started to have some starting problems which didn't make sense. Since I put the tape covering all the holes I haven't had a problem since.

Nib Performance

The reason I bought this pen. The seller characterized this pen as a super-flex. And compared to my wet noodle I would agree, it flexes very nicely and easily, but not quite as easily as my wet noodle. However, this pen is hard to railroad, very hard. It only seems to railroad when you do a lot of very wide writing (flexing it to near it's max) and/or with a dry ink. Since I put the Montblanc Royal Blue in it, I don't think I have railroaded once (knock on wood). The nib is smooth. Not the smoothest I have written with but not scratchy hardly at all. When un-flexed it feels like a nice XF feels. It will flex up to BBB but that is a little above where I like to write with it, this pen has lasted 100 years and I want it to last a lot more. My wet noodle is out to get fixed, so when it comes back it may supersede this nib. But for right now this is my favorite nib I own. It writes wet, but I like wet. It is very suited to my liking.

Filling System and Maintenance

The filling system uses a lever filler. It works well, but I don't like cleaning them out. After the first clean out I got a lot of the color the previous owner used and had to clean it with water and JBs again. It takes in a decent amount of ink. I haven't measured it yet. Works but not my favorite method

Cost and Value

I really don't know if I paid a fair market price for the pen. I paid $150 which seems fair to me. It writes well, is in decent condition, and has a 14k nib that flexes beautifully. May not be for everyone but I am not regretting it.

Conclusion

Wonderful pen, I really enjoy writing with it. I have run it try three times now and I have only had it 2 days. Writing with fountain pens in general is awesome. Learning to write with a flex is extremely awesome in my book. :)

$photo 2.jpg
$photo 3.jpg
forgot to cross the "t"...

Last edited:
That is some big time flex there, looks like loads of fun

Thanks for doing the review as well, superb job

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice review for a real piece of history! Waterman made some of the finest nibs in the world.

That looks like a great pen and nib. Just curious, can the brown be polished out of this, or do you think it's worked its way through the depth of the rubber?

That looks like a great pen and nib. Just curious, can the brown be polished out of this, or do you think it's worked its way through the depth of the rubber?

I really dont know. I will have to check it out in the morning!

I have a nearly identical pen. My cap has a clip but that is about the only difference. Mine is a tad on the wet side but part of that is ink selection. I would post a sample but photobucket is down at the moment.

I like mine a lot and do not regret the purchase at all.

Photo from acquisition thread. I have learned to use it better and make envelops really fancy now ;)
$IMG_20130226_172005_zps0309c8dd.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a similar Black Chased Hard Rubber (BCHR) "Safety"-brand pen with a very small gold nib that flexes like a paint brush! It's a lot of fun to play with, although I can't see me sitting down and filling a few journal pages with it!

There are various ways of restoring the black color in hard rubber pens. It's also quite a controvertial point amongst collectors, similar to replating a vintage razor. One of the best solutions if you decide to go that route is Pensbury Manor Black Hard Rubber Pen Potion No. 9 - Black Hard Rubber Dye

Controvesal in the way of should you change the natural process? I might give it a try because it actually gives my finger a weird smell after a lot of writing, maybe it will cover up or reduce it!

oh man, that's some serious flex in that nib. I'd LOVE to own one that flexed that much. Can anyone guess what website I'm going to now, lol? Great looking pen and ink.

You HATE me don't you, lol? I would have been perfectly happy to have never gone to that site :lol:

Man that guy has some super nice pens, that I want, want, want.

+1 I can feel the hole burning already. And I only spent a minute on the website......... :a46:

+1 I can feel the hole burning already. And I only spent a minute on the website......... :a46:

well, spend some more time there, it get's worse. I love some of those Wahls, and for the record...when it says "contact me for pricing"...I just know that I won't be able to justify spending the amount they're asking, lol

EDIT: Oh dear God, this guy will take a modern pen and fit a vintage flex nib....I've already sent him an email asking if he can fit my new Pelikan with a flex nib. Doug, you should pay half of this....lol

Last edited:
well, spend some more time there, it get's worse. I love some of those Wahls, and for the record...when it says "contact me for pricing"...I just know that I won't be able to justify spending the amount they're asking, lol

That is what I am counting on to keep me from buying more pens ha!

Top Bottom