What's new

Liquid Glycerin

I am curious if anyone has tried adding liquid glycerin to their shave cream when they whip it up and, if so, what the results were. I would like to try this, but I can't find one stupid store in my city that carries it. Anybody?

I do this with my soaps sometimes. It creates a little slicker lather. I've tried it with cream once. It worked ok. Try the pharmacy.

I used glycerin a few times in my first month or so of creating lathers and found a marginal improvement. Now that I have more experience getting the right cream/soap & water combo and watching mantis's videos, I no longer use it.

Yep it works great, in Uberlethers....... I now add 10 drops per every 4 oz of AS also and that adds a "softening touch" to all of them also...

CVS carries thier own named brand of liquid glycerin. I bought some a few weeks ago.

Its cheap stuff at CVS. Mine has lasted over a year.

I like to add a couple drops when I whip up creams in my latte mug and I also like to use it as a pre-shave sometimes. Just two or three drops.

Like Glen I also add it to alot of aftershaves and even added alot of it to some Florida water to turn it into an aftershave.
I haven't tried it on my soaps...yet.

Ah, then my theory of making a "super lather" was on track. Unfortunately there are no CVS pharmacies in my town. We have Walgreens and Rite Aid and neither of them have it. I can order online, but I wanted to know if it worked first. Thanks for the input, guys.

I got a good sized bottle at Rite-Aid. If I am not mistaken, it was near the laxatives.

Hench

Son of a gun :a33:, you're right, they do have it! I was checking their website to no avail, but a phone call confirmed that it is indeed in store. However, I had previously called Whole Foods to check if they had it (they did) and my wife already picked it up for me -- and actually cheaper ($8.00 for 16 oz vs $4.49 for 6 oz).

YEah, I got mine at a whole foods.

FWIW, about 15 drops of glycerin into a bottle of Old Spice makes possibly the next-best thing to Musgo Real. I actually like it better than Aqua Velva.

In my college days we used to catch rattlers, skin them and soak in pure glycerine for weeks. Skins tanned nicely and were sold to touristsas for a tidy profit.. Made everything supple. Do not know how it is in AS, but to make a snake skin flexible enough for belting, it worked wonders.

Yep it works great, in Uberlethers....... I now add 10 drops per every 4 oz of AS also and that adds a "softening touch" to all of them also...

I've tried it in soaps/creams without any really positive effects.

However, I regularly add a little to AS splashes and hair tonics - add a little at a time, as a little goes a long way.

Like some others, I have not found any big benefit when adding glycerin to creams or soaps in the past. However, since I switched from soaps/creams to gels, I have a new appreciation for glycerin. The gels I use contain large quantities of glycerin, primarily for moisturization and lubrication purposes. Still, I found that completely moisturizing my skin using glycerin BEFORE shaving is even better. To that end, I apply some Trumper's Skin Food.

So, if you want to explore the potential benefits of glycerin, you could try using it as a pre-shave, perhaps not straight but in a mixture with, for example, Aloe vera gel. It keeps irritations to a minimum for me.

Best - MM

Thanks for all the good ideas for glycerin uses, I now have a little experimenting to do. However, you guys forgot to mention that it is also edible (USP grade), so you can have a little snack while shaving.

Thanks for all the good ideas for glycerin uses, I now have a little experimenting to do. However, you guys forgot to mention that it is also edible (USP grade), so you can have a little snack while shaving.
It's a sweetener. Back in the day, some diabetics would use it as it would not impart a rise in their blood sugars and today's artificial sweeteners were not available.

wal mart has it.

I used to do a preshave with it. It took me months to figure out it was making my shaves worse.

Now, I clean my brush with it.

wal mart has it.

I used to do a preshave with it. It took me months to figure out it was making my shaves worse.

Now, I clean my brush with it.

How can it make your shave worse? When soap is manufactured, the glycerin is the best by-product of saponified fat or vegetable oil, because it will moisturize and soften your skin. Cheap soap makers remove the glycerin to use in more expensive products, good soap makers makers leave the glycerin in for the aforementioned moisturizing and softening. Tell me again, how can it make your shave worse? I added glycerin to my usual shave cream (Tom's of Maine) today and the resulting lather was significantly slicker and the shave much more comfortable than without the added glycerin.

How can it make your shave worse? When soap is manufactured, the glycerin is the best by-product of saponified fat or vegetable oil, because it will moisturize and soften your skin. Cheap soap makers remove the glycerin to use in more expensive products, good soap makers makers leave the glycerin in for the aforementioned moisturizing and softening. Tell me again, how can it make your shave worse? I added glycerin to my usual shave cream (Tom's of Maine) today and the resulting lather was significantly slicker and the shave much more comfortable than without the added glycerin.

I was slathering it on as a preshave and it was defeating the effectiveness of the cream. the cream wasn't actually making real contact with my face.

This layer of glycerin made my shaves painful, bloody messes.

The results don't lie.

Top Bottom