What's new

Tried a shavette vs my Straight

Well I went to the local Sally's to try a magic razor with some disposable blades. I personally found the magic razor was more irritating my skin than my Ralf Aust straight razor. I need a shavette because I'm going over seas and I don't want to bring my nice SR and have it taken by the airline.

Have any of you traveled internationally with a straight razor? I don't want to check it in because I don't want the blade damage.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You can not take de blades in carry on bags either. You will need to check your bag, mail blades to your destination or just take a disposable

I always put my straight, strop, and whatever else I wanted in my checked luggage on all of my trips to Japan.

No problemo

I am learning straight shaving with my Parker shavette. I always hear that the shavette is less forgiving than a proper straight. I hope so. Granted, I still have quite a bit of learning to do but I do get a bit of irritation here and there. It has gone down as my technique has gotten better. If I can get a smooth shave from a shavette then I should be good on a proper, yes? Well, that is my hope at least.

I can't wait to become a master of the straight. I already get DFS and sometimes nearly BBS with a WTG and XTG (Granted it's a mish mash of ATG and XTG) 2 pass setup. Gotta work on those small nicks and neck razor burn though.

You can not take de blades in carry on bags either. You will need to check your bag, mail blades to your destination or just take a disposable

You can check DE blades:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

ItemProhibited
Carry-on?Checked?
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted)NOOK

As for shavettes vs. straights, I have found that the shavette is harsher than a straight. Maybe you can try either the Feather Artist Club, or the CJB as a cheaper alternative. You can probably check those blades.

You can check DE blades:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

ItemProhibited
Carry-on?Checked?
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted)NOOK

As for shavettes vs. straights, I have found that the shavette is harsher than a straight. Maybe you can try either the Feather Artist Club, or the CJB as a cheaper alternative. You can probably check those blades.

I started with a Parker and a Dovo Shavette and wound up selling them both. I now have two Feather Artist Club razors. An RG folder and a DX non-folder and they give a wonderful shave. They are far superior to the 1/2 blade shavettes. IMHO

Ronnie

I wouldn't recommend putting anything of value in your checked luggage as there is no way for you to prove damage or loss and it is more common than most would want to admit. Pack the shavette and some blades to keep your risk low.

I am learning straight shaving with my Parker shavette. I always hear that the shavette is less forgiving than a proper straight. I hope so. Granted, I still have quite a bit of learning to do but I do get a bit of irritation here and there. It has gone down as my technique has gotten better. If I can get a smooth shave from a shavette then I should be good on a proper, yes? Well, that is my hope at least.

I can't wait to become a master of the straight. I already get DFS and sometimes nearly BBS with a WTG and XTG (Granted it's a mish mash of ATG and XTG) 2 pass setup. Gotta work on those small nicks and neck razor burn though.
Worked for me!

I can't wait to become a master of the straight

The Parker was my gateway straight.

It was a great learning tool and very unforgiving instructor. But what it taught me: I have carried over to my straight. It was a great instrument that can now be a "travel straight razor" that I won't worry too much if it's lost.

I keep the real straights at home and take the Feather AC on the road. Recently going overseas, it was in my checked luggage and I'm pretty sure it was taken out and inspected. I'm very careful to put it in its tight slide-in case tang up (really hard to get out otherwise). When I got it out to shave, it was tang down. Not that the Feather was cheap, but all the more reason for me not to risk taking a more expensive straight and risk confiscation.

Top Bottom