What's new

shaving creme for DE?

I've been shaving with my DE razor for over a year and tried different canned shaving cream and find they seem to be too thick and sort of clog up the razor. Right now I'm using Aveeno shave gel which is a bit better but still not the best, does using the shaving cream with the brush and mug work better with DE razors?

Much better.

An inexpensive start is getting a cake of Williams and/or Van der Hagen soap and a Burma or Van der Hagen brush. Usually available at Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.

Check the tutorial here on lather tips.

Luck,

I've been shaving with my DE razor for over a year and tried different canned shaving cream and find they seem to be too thick and sort of clog up the razor. Right now I'm using Aveeno shave gel which is a bit better but still not the best, does using the shaving cream with the brush and mug work better with DE razors?

In my opinion yes it works much better not to mention it is better for you and so much more enjoyable too!

Two great creams to try are Kiss my Face and Proraso. You can find KMF at an organic grocery store. Bath and Body Works has the Proraso private labeled as C.O. Bigelow. This are both goods creams that aren't too expensive.

C

Ceilteach

I find the squirt-can shaving cremes to be very dry and that may be part of the problem you are experiencing. If you try mixing lather with a brush, you'll be amazed at how much water is involved in the process. More water is better for your face, too.

Two great creams to try are Kiss my Face and Proraso. You can find KMF at an organic grocery store. Bath and Body Works has the Proraso private labeled as C.O. Bigelow. This are both goods creams that aren't too expensive.

+1 You can also find KMF at some local health food stores and some specialty grocery stores.

+1 on the Proraso! I had my first shave with Proraso last night ... I am sold!

I read on here The Body Shop sells shaving creme, I think I'll try theres since they always have high quality stuff. So do you agree that most canned shaving creme in stores is meant for the newer type safety razors since they cut different?

Proper cream and a brush is vastly superior to anything you'll get in a pressurized can. Personally I'd recommend Trumper's Rose. It's a little expensive and you've got to have the confidence to feel comfortable using something rose scented but it's wonderful stuff and the scent grows on you more and more over time.

yes, i'd say it would improve even if using a cartridge razor. fine creams and a nice brush will improve ANY shave.

I find the lather from high quality creams and soaps to be thinner (in a good way) than the stuff from a can. If you try out any of the higher end products you should notice a great improvement where leftover gunk is concerned.

Top Bottom