What's new

Hi, I'm new. Quick question too.

Hi guys.

I was about to buy some more shave gel online when I somehow stumbled across this website.

I was using an electric razor for a while, but got tired of it.
I've been using a cartridge razor (the fusion) for a few months now.
Though I generally go in cycles--I'll get my hair cut and beard trimmed (not shaved--I don't go to a barber). I'll keep it shaved for a while. Then I get lazy and let it grow out. Repeat.

My routine generally involves:
- shower
- at end of shower use fogless mirror to shave in shower. I use shave gel & cartridge razor, no other prep (though since it is at the end of the shower, that is probably sufficient?)
- usually no aftershave. I have psoriasis and so need to put prescription ointment on parts of my face, so I generally avoid the aftershave so that it doesn't interfere.

In any case, I decided to try this wet shaving thing.

I'm planning to pick up the following:
- proraso shave gel
- witch hazel for aftershave. Figure I can just put the prescription cream on afterwards.
- an alum block (I'm sure I'll get some nicks while I learn to use a DE...)
- merkur 34c heavy duty DE safety razor
- a blade variety pack
- parker safety razor brand silvertip badger brush

In all the guides I've read around here, I don't see anything mentioning shaving in the shower... is there a reason not to? (I have a fogless mirror)

This looks like an interesting & informative community, glad to have found you guys.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Usually those who shave in a shower go for a very quick 3 minutes shave, while traditional wet shaving implies slowing down, relaxing and enjoying those moments for yourself. Other than that I see no reason why not having a shave while showering. Welcome to B&B, Sir.

Usually those who shave in a shower go for a very quick 3 minutes shave, while traditional wet shaving implies slowing down, relaxing and enjoying those moments for yourself. Other than that I see no reason why not having a shave while showering. Welcome to B&B, Sir.

I could not say it better...there are rewards from the traditional shave.

Sounds like a good starter kit. Read up a little bit on technique while you're impatiently waiting for the gear to come in and let us know how the first shave goes.

I don't personally shave in the shower but I know quite a few of the members do. From what I recall, as long as you keep your brush somewhere it can dry completely there is no problem with this method.

I don't see any issue with shaving in the shower so long as you don't drop the razor onto your foot and store the brush somewhere where it can properly dry. Welcome to B&B! I'm pretty new to wetshaving as well

Yep!

Give the post shower shave a try sometime when you have some time. It is something I look forward to each day!

Hi Morik, welcome to Badger & Blade!

Congratulations on your decision to see what traditional wet-shaving is all about. It's a decision you will never regret! :thumbup:

When you get a chance please head over to our Hall of Fame (located within the Shave Clinic) and tell us all a bit more about yourself.

As you've probably figured out by now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with shaving in the shower. However, it migt be worth experimenting with shaving after your shower instead and, as Marco so eloquently put it, reveling in the experience a bit.

There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to beginning shavers--perhaps you might like to have a look at them. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom