What's new

favorite running app?

I'm getting back into running, and this time around I have an iPhone to help me track my runs. What app is everyone using? I've used Nike+ in the past with the shoe sensor. I've got the Nike+ app and map my run app to try out currently. Any better offerings ouut there? Prefer them to be free. Thanks everyone

I've used strava and its ok. I have to say I prefer my garmin. Easier to start/stop. I find it more accurate for time.

I have been using Runmeter. It's not free but I think it was $2 or so. It has nice goal-based plans (I used it to train for a half this past January). I also like it because it stores the info/stats itself and you don't need to have a Facebook account (I personally don't like having to link things to Facebook or other social media).

I've used Nike+ with the chip in my shoe for about a year now and I love it. I didn't care for Map my Run, if the GPS cuts out or the phone loses signal it stops recording.

My car.

What i do is drive my car around the area i want to run and use the mile marker from the dash. Been doing this for a while now. i don't like carrying anything when i run. I used to run at a track, but after i had trained to run a half marathon a few years back, i can't do it anymore. Too repetitive. treadmills are out of the question.

thanks everyone. i like the look and feel of the nike+ vs mapmyrun, so i may just stick with that.

I'm already eyeing a half marathon that i want to try to do next May :thumbup:

Cheers on the training. It's probably my favorite longer distance. I haven't used it but I would verify distance when using Nike+. I have a few friends who say its not as accurate as GPS. That said, it'll get you in the ballpark either way. Again, happy training.

My car.

What i do is drive my car around the area i want to run and use the mile marker from the dash..

George- Have you tried this site to trace or retrace your route? http://www.usatf.org/routes/ More accurate than your odometer, you can change your route mid-stream if you feel like it and still be able to measure the distance, save routes, see the elevation, etc. etc. I used to use this until I started using MapMyRun. Click on Create a Route, enter a zipcode, and zoom in to your route. Will measure everywhere a car can.

Last edited:
George- Have you tried this site to trace or retrace your route? http://www.usatf.org/routes/ More accurate than your odometer, you can change your route mid-stream if you feel like it and still be able to measure the distance, save routes, see the elevation, etc. etc. I used to use this until I started using MapMyRun. Click on Create a Route, enter a zipcode, and zoom in to your route. Will measure everywhere a car can.

That's pretty cool man, thanks for that link. I will find this very useful.

I just got an iPhone. Are you guys running WITH your phone? If yes, what sort of pouch contraption do you use? I've seen people with something on their arm, but I've never asked what it is. I have a five year old iPod shuffle that I've used for music when I run, but maybe I need to step it up.

I just got an iPhone. Are you guys running WITH your phone? If yes, what sort of pouch contraption do you use? I've seen people with something on their arm, but I've never asked what it is. I have a five year old iPod shuffle that I've used for music when I run, but maybe I need to step it up.

If you go to Modells or someplace similar, they sell neoprene cases for the iPhone you can put on your arm. The strap closes with velcro. I just got one a week or two ago, in fact. I'm using the Couch-to-5K app right now, so I need to have the phone with me to hear the cues for walking and running. Not a bad app for those of us who have let our cardio go for too long.

sports-tracker is a pretty good free app, I've also used the free version of Map My Run and also Map My Ride for biking.

I use this armband and armband extender ($18.65 for the set on Amazon) for my workouts. The armband says up to 17" but I find the extender helps for anything above 16".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XGZGZG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WDAR06/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.s. I love the band because it has a place to wrap the extra headphone cord.

I've just been holding my phone as I run. Maybe I need to look at an armband

I have my phone in an otterbox defender case and I clip the belt clip on my shorts when I run and it stays out of the way and never comes loose. I wear a few pairs of rebook and nike running shorts with compression shorts underneath most times and it holds the phone plenty secure.

Top Bottom