What's new

Make a good lather?

I've been shaving with the Merkur HD for a while now, but I only recently got into the whole "brush and cream" way of shaving. Problem is, I can't make a descent lather (yet).

I've got a shaving brush from Wilkinson (very stiff and cheap, but I've got no real reference, it's just my feeling) and a Lavera shaving cream. I've tried to make the lather in a bowl, but it is never thick enough. When I try to apply it to my face, I can't cover all the skin without leaving patches where the lather is wrubbed off again.

So, is it the equipment or is it just me? Am I using too much water, not enough, wrubbing too hard, or simply using the wrong equipment.

thanks
Ben

I am fairly new myself but I'd have to guess too much water maybe....I start with a tablespoon (approx) of hot water and go from there. I usually use soaps too, so that may effect the results compared to creams.

Great, I'll give it a try and will keep you up to speed about the progress (at least I hope)

maybe it's just me needing more excercise :wink:

Ben

It sounds like too much water is the culprit. The way I build lather is simply to soak the brush in the sink, give it two decent shakes and get a light to medium coat of cream on the bristles. Any more than two shakes and your playing with it. No, wait, that's something else.

Anyway, just keep experimenting. Make whole batches for the sole purpose of learning if you're feeling really ambitious.

Good luck. :smile:

Best advice I can give is ditch the bowl...ditch the bowl...ditch the bowl. Lather directly on your face, its quicker, easier and you will get better feedback. when you have mastered that then worry about a bowl if you have to. Its an unnecessary step you dont need when learning. If you buy any cream or soap with instructions you will never find a reference to a bowl or mug that is not included.

Water does sound like the culprit.

Also it appears that is a boar's hair brush. Boar's hair, as indicated in mantic's shave videos, require a little more latherwork than a badger...at least a good minute and a half to two minutes of whisking.

Top Bottom