What's new

Customizing your pens

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Doug, what M200 body is that?

Deutsche Telekom variant from 1994, the rhodium trim clashes with the 14K gold nib, though. Original nib is silver-tone.

full

proxy.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321515-Show-your-Pelikan-M200-series

Last edited by a moderator:
this is my first customisation/repair. its just a small one that Nemo recommended I posted here :biggrin1: some of you may have seen the tread I posted of the pen I bought on ebay that I discovered problems with. the main problem was the nib being all mangled. I bought some NOS nibs to play around with and the pen now has a vintage 18k gold plated osmiroid M nib. the original nib was a steel platignum 1st quality M. I would like to thank Doug for the help and advice he provided to help me get this pen writing, it really is appreciated!
Edit: I forgot to thank James and Andy, I'm really sorry gents. Where are my manners!

Last edited:
finally got around to using it this afternoon to fill in a form and it writes beautifully! more of a fine nib than a medium, but I don't mind, I had only used a medium before this and I actually prefer the more precise and delicate look of the line the finer nib lays down. I'm a happy camper!

finally got around to using it this afternoon to fill in a form and it writes beautifully! more of a fine nib than a medium, but I don't mind, I had only used a medium before this and I actually prefer the more precise and delicate look of the line the finer nib lays down. I'm a happy camper!
Im glad to hear it

Cheers on the new working pen

Im glad to hear it

Cheers on the new working pen

+1.

I customized a pen this evening. It's a 78g. I removed the clip, then pulled a Scotch Brite pad along the body and cap after taping off parts I didn't want sanded (threads, "gold" rings on the cap). It's something I've been meaning to do to this pen, and it was a quick bit of fun just to make the pen a little different. It gave it a matte finish with some fine lines in the body/cap. Almost a fine wood grain texture.

I should note that the derby above the clip just screws off, but it's on there pretty good. I used one of those thin rubber gripper discs that we have in the kitchen for opening the odd difficult jar. After the derby is off, it's easy to remove the clip. I left the derby off during sanding, of course. Personally, I would only ever do this to a cheap pen, but I've seen others give Sailors and Pilot Customs this treatment. :ohmy:

-Andy

$P1090117.jpg

Last edited:
+1.

I customized a pen this evening. It's a 78g. I removed the clip, then pulled a Scotch Brite pad along the body and cap after taping off parts I didn't want sanded (threads, "gold" rings on the cap). It's something I've been meaning to do to this pen, and it was a quick bit of fun just to make the pen a little different. It gave it a matte finish with some fine lines in the body/cap. Almost a fine wood grain texture.

I should note that the derby above the clip just screws off, but it's on there pretty good. I used one of those thin rubber gripper discs that we have in the kitchen for opening the odd difficult jar. After the derby is off, it's easy to remove the clip. I left the derby off during sanding, of course. Personally, I would only ever do this to a cheap pen, but I've seen others give Sailors and Pilot Customs this treatment. :ohmy:

-Andy

View attachment 353872

That looks so much better than the normal Pilot.

That looks so much better than the normal Pilot.

Thanks! I can't take credit for the idea, though. There was a thread on FPN that I saw ages ago about creating this finish. Later, I ran across another thread that explained that this pen's clip is easily removed. I like the look of the pen without the clip, and now I have something to chase around my desk. I reckon it's about like a Nakaya, really. Any takers at $450? I'll throw in the clip for free, and it even has a fancy gold (colored) stub nib. :lol:

-Andy

Last edited:
I had a modern Sheaffer Balance, that I had fitted with a hard rubber feed, and an original Lifetime nib. I sold it a few years ago ... not to someone here, by chance?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
+1.

Quite a nice look! How does it feel now?

I had a modern Sheaffer Balance, that I had fitted with a hard rubber feed, and an original Lifetime nib.

I harvest HR feeds form Sheaffer school pens, a great feed and good for many uses. Is that what you used in your Balance II?

Quite a nice look! How does it feel now?

I harvest HR feeds form Sheaffer school pens, a great feed and good for many uses. Is that what you used in your Balance II?

It has a wonderful texture. It's very grippy/tactile. The barrel even grips my hand a little (between thumb and index finger) when I write with it. It may be my imagination, but it seems to have muted the high-pitched, cheap plastic sound when the cap is screwed onto the section. I think it's a big improvement to the pen, not just cosmetically. It just has a nicer feel, overall. I may end up sanding the section eventually because I find the small diameter grip difficult to hold, especially if my hands are at all sweaty. I do like the contrast that the glossy section provides, though. I like the pen without the clip, too, as I rarely use the clips on my pens.

Harvesting Sheaffer school feeds is a great idea! Now I'll have to find one sometime.

-Andy

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
One of my well-used and well-loved nibs was showing its age, the gold plating was wearing off in spots so I went for a polish job -- a medium cursive italic custom grind.
It didn't come off as easily as I had expected, the steel was showing in thin spots where I normally wipe it off but the gold holding tightly on the wings!

Now it looks like an M205 nib but not as shiny ... more Simichrome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom