What's new

Keen Kutter pocket knife experts?

I'm working on a book that is based on a WW1 soldier's diaries and letters home. In two letters to his mother he requests that she send him a pocket knife. He's rather specific:

...if you do have a chance to send a Christmas box, do not send sox or mittens or sewing things. There are only a few things I really need. For instance, a good jackknife manufactured by Keen Kutter people. It has a can opener on it, also several little tools, costs about $1 or $1.50.

....and a Keen Kutter jack knife with a can opener and punch combined.

Not being an expert in such things, I was hoping one of the group here might be able to help me identify the exact model he's asking for. The letter is dated 1918. It's unclear from subsequent letters if she ever sent him the knife :biggrin1: Anybody have a clue?

Well, I got my hands on the Keen Kutter knife book, and it pretty much has to be the Scout Model knife K6559 (late) made from 1913-1939. Has a sabre spear blade, can opener, combo bottleopener/screwdriver, and leather punch.

It's a bit surprising that he didn't call it a Scout knife (as in Boy Scouts of America), but I suspect he saw and admired one owned by someone else (maybe a former Boy Scout?) when he was already in France and just asked the guy what brand it was.

Top Bottom