What's new

Opinions on the Razorock Little Bastone open comb please

I'm currently using an EJ89 but I'd like to try something else a little more aggressive. I'm considering the Razorock Little Bastone open comb. Anyone who has one, I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Thanks,
Scott

I have one. It is definately a $20 razor. That being said. It is an aggressive open comb, more aggressive than my EJ de89 and less aggressive Than my progress on 5.
I do not know if this is the case for all of them, but if I'm not paying attention the head cap can be turned to an offset position and the blade can be more exposed on one side. This means that the head cap and the underside of the head do not sit completely flush on thier own, but they can if you pay attention.
The finish is much better than would be expected for the price.
When the head and blade are in the correct position, the razor shaves very very well. I would recommend it to a person who has descent technique and wants to try an aggressive open comb for cheap.
With all things on this site YMMV.

That razor is known as the Pearl SS1 over here in Blighty. I found the QC better than a Fatip and the shave while as close a little smoother. If you've never used an OC befor you may find it a little too harsh on the skin. For the money IMHO is a great little razor.

I'll agree with the previous posts, it's a solid performing OC, medium aggressive, good quality for the price. Watch the head when you are tightening down, but that's easy. It's a pretty minimal investment price for a new OC to try out. I love mine loaded with a personna lab.

I owned one (the Cadet version but identical) as well as a Fatip OC. I didn't want/need two open comb razors in my rotation so they were competing against each other. It has a nice weight and finish and I liked the grippy handle. It is substantially more aggressive than the EJ89 and provides a pretty smooth shave when you get the angle down. I preferred the Fatip a bit more so I ended up selling it but it's a nice razor and I don't have any knocks against it. For the price, I highly doubt you'd regret buying it.

I have one. It is definately a $20 razor. That being said. It is an aggressive open comb, more aggressive than my EJ de89 and less aggressive Than my progress on 5.
I do not know if this is the case for all of them, but if I'm not paying attention the head cap can be turned to an offset position and the blade can be more exposed on one side. This means that the head cap and the underside of the head do not sit completely flush on thier own, but they can if you pay attention.
The finish is much better than would be expected for the price.
When the head and blade are in the correct position, the razor shaves very very well. I would recommend it to a person who has descent technique and wants to try an aggressive open comb for cheap.
With all things on this site YMMV.

I've also looked at this razor as I'd love to try an OC. You say "It is definately a $20 razor." but then say "The finish is much better than would be expected for the price.". So I'm a little bit confused. Is this a good value for the money? Why do you think it is "a $20 razor"? Just curious.

Love the Little Bastone. Good finish, grip, weight. Aggressive- you can sure feel that blade edge if you get steep. Shave _very_ close and can be comfortable if you take it slow and easy. Not for the faint of heart, or if you are in a hurry. GREAT value for price. I have a 2013 R41 which is just about equal to the RRLB in aggression. Not a bad thing; but neither are a razor to reach for if you are in a hurry to get to work!

I've also looked at this razor as I'd love to try an OC. You say "It is definately a $20 razor." but then say "The finish is much better than would be expected for the price.". So I'm a little bit confused. Is this a good value for the money? Why do you think it is "a $20 razor"? Just curious.
The finish is nicer than my merkur progress but not as nice as my EJ 89, that is what i mean by "the finish is much better than would be expected for the price." I say "it is definately a $20 razor" because of the way the head tends to sit off centered (I wouldn't accept that from a razor that I paid $30 or more for.) None of my other razors have this problem. However, once again I would recommend the razor. After all, it is only $20.
Please remember my opinion is not an official review, just opinion.

The finish is nicer than my merkur progress but not as nice as my EJ 89, that is what i mean by "the finish is much better than would be expected for the price." I say "it is definately a $20 razor" because of the way the head tends to sit off centered (I wouldn't accept that from a razor that I paid $30 or more for.) None of my other razors have this problem. However, once again I would recommend the razor. After all, it is only $20.
Cap, in contrast, I find that many (if not most) razors are capable of loading a blade unevenly. It is the major failing of modern razors in general, IMO. FaTip, Progress, iKon, you name it. You have to watch very carefully when loading a blade or it can end up crooked.
I don't understand why so few razor makers can figure out how to make sure that blades load evenly. Gillette Old Types and New Standards are the same, but by the time the NEW came out, they had it down pat. NEWs, Techs, and all the TTOs load up the blade dead nuts every time.

Makes perfect sense, now, I just was wondering about which characteristics were quality and which were "not so much". You did an excellent job of explaining it. Thanks.

Cap, in contrast, I find that many (if not most) razors are capable of loading a blade unevenly. It is the major failing of modern razors in general, IMO. FaTip, Progress, iKon, you name it. You have to watch very carefully when loading a blade or it can end up crooked.
I don't understand why so few razor makers can figure out how to make sure that blades load evenly. Gillette Old Types and New Standards are the same, but by the time the NEW came out, they had it down pat. NEWs, Techs, and all the TTOs load up the blade dead nuts every time.

I know about blades sitting unevenly, I check all of my razors for this. My critique is on the head cap, it sits cockeyed if you do not check it. None of my other razors (Parker 22r, EJ de89, merkur Bakelite, merkur progress, merkur 4 piece travel razor oc, 1949 gillette SS) have ever had this problem. I cannot speak for all little bastones, but my little Bastone does not sit centered unless I make it.

Top Bottom