What's new

Quality umbrella

That's weak. How hard is it to investigate a 45 degree bend in an umbrella?

Not surprising given some of the trouble UPS has given me in the past.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got a very cordial and apologetic e-mail from Ortel. (though I don't believe they have anything to apologize for - the damage was done by UPS)
They said that they were sorry for the inconvenience and would ship out a replacement.
This despite the fact that they also said that though they had not had problems with UPS in the past, they were having some issues with communications with UPS in this case.
I do not find that hard to believe.

UPS also sent me an e-mail reply to my inquiry about what was happening with my problem.
UPS says that they cannot help me. The damage claim is between UPS and the shipper, and they cannot disclose any information to the receiver.

Just a little heads up for ya fellas.

Look into Fedex or DHL if possible, or walk barefoot and pick the item up yourself before utilizing UPS.
What has brown done to you today?

Hey guys,

Hate to bump an old thread, but I figured that was better than creating a new one. I've been looking to get a quality umbrella, and had narrowed it down to SAB, Fox, Howard Yount, and London Undercover... but really those selections are unfounded. After reading through this thread I have some new questions.

As far as Oertel umbrellas go, I can't seem to find them as inexpensive as was mentioned. I had been wanting a fully wooden shaft as opposed to metal, and those are all appearing to to be well over the $300 mark... the metal ones over $200 on the lowest end. The price isn't a huge factor, however I was thinking I may have been looking in the wrong place.

When it comes to the number of ribs in the umbrella, I assume the more ribs, the better... and that is why Howard Yount was disregarded for having just 8 ribs. I believe London Undercover only makes 8 rib umbrellas as well. I found that the majority of the Oertel umbrellas are 8 rib, with only one model having 10 ribs. Is a 10 rib umbrella really that much better? My dad has a Brigg umbrella, and it is only 8 ribs... so I had never really thought of needing more than that. He has had that umbrella for 10+ years, and hasn't had any issues as of yet. Is there a substantial weight increase when moving up to 10 ribs?

Any reasons not to consider any of the brands I had mentioned?

I don't have many requirements, other than wanting a wooden shaft, something classic looking, little to no plastic and something that will last.

Any help is appreciated.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, as I don't own the brands you mention I cannot speak to their quality at all.
The Oertel I bought is a wonderful piece of equipment. The craftsmanship is clear every time I look at it. It's solid and very well built.
I had originally wanted a wood shaft umbrella, but I did a LOT of reading and after considerable research I decided against it personally. I had read too many comments from folks across the web who were unsatisfied with the mechanics involved.
Again, I can't speak personally, I just went by what I had read. Apparently the entire mechanism is different with a wood shafted umbrella as opposed to steel. There were also complains of a feeling that the shaft was very "flimsy" and some were afraid that any untoward activity would result in a broken shaft.
There were a few "cane type" umbrellas which reportedly had the shaft strength despite having a wood shaft, but the cost was out of any realistic measure.
I settled on a steel shaft with a wood handle.
As far as 8 vs 10 ribs, I don't believe there is any noticeable difference in weight.
I like the look much better with the smaller panels because of the increased number of ribs, and I like the increased strength against wind with more ribs.
Other than that it's probably more of a personal preference.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Does anyone have that self defense umbrella ?

I do.

Sturdy as all get-out, but my version does not stay closed without assistance ... you have to engage the wrap-around snap and/or use the slide-on cover.

If you leave it like this:

proxy.php

it is prone to pop open.

I got an Umbrella from J. Crew for $22. It's a classic black umbrella with a wood handle and tip. It's a good size for you and a mate, and the quality is superb, it's sturdy and can handle wind to a point you can Mary Poppins your way out of windy situations.

Luvmysupper can you please comment on if you still have this umbrella and what your thoughts are now after all this time? I am in the process of getting a new umbrella and it looks like this is the best bang for the buck.
Thank you

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm leaning toward the Oertel Handmade Classic 1, even though it has a steel shaft rather than a one piece wood shaft.
The wood shaft models that I like are too long and too large.

The Classic 1 is 96cm tall and 112cm in diameter. It's the 10 rib model, which I prefer over the 8 rib.

It's the first one Henry mentioned in his post above.

attachment.php
Hey Phil, how are you liking your umbrella after 10 years? Holding up well?
I'm ready to push the button but the $69 shipping has me gritting my teeth.
Anyway, it looks like a quality piece of kit and my $40 leather handled one has given up the ghost.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey Phil, how are you liking your umbrella after 10 years? Holding up well?
I'm ready to push the button but the $69 shipping has me gritting my teeth.
Anyway, it looks like a quality piece of kit and my $40 leather handled one has given up the ghost.
It's like brand new.
I've not been out in gale force winds, but it has held up well to a variety of conditions.
I let it dry before folding it up.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hey guys,

Hate to bump an old thread, but I figured that was better than creating a new one. I've been looking to get a quality umbrella, and had narrowed it down to SAB, Fox, Howard Yount, and London Undercover... but really those selections are unfounded. After reading through this thread I have some new questions.

As far as Oertel umbrellas go, I can't seem to find them as inexpensive as was mentioned. I had been wanting a fully wooden shaft as opposed to metal, and those are all appearing to to be well over the $300 mark... the metal ones over $200 on the lowest end. The price isn't a huge factor, however I was thinking I may have been looking in the wrong place.

When it comes to the number of ribs in the umbrella, I assume the more ribs, the better... and that is why Howard Yount was disregarded for having just 8 ribs. I believe London Undercover only makes 8 rib umbrellas as well. I found that the majority of the Oertel umbrellas are 8 rib, with only one model having 10 ribs. Is a 10 rib umbrella really that much better? My dad has a Brigg umbrella, and it is only 8 ribs... so I had never really thought of needing more than that. He has had that umbrella for 10+ years, and hasn't had any issues as of yet. Is there a substantial weight increase when moving up to 10 ribs?

Any reasons not to consider any of the brands I had mentioned?

I don't have many requirements, other than wanting a wooden shaft, something classic looking, little to no plastic and something that will last.

Any help is appreciated.
Check Kent Wang. I like mine. It replaced a Brigg that somehow disappeared from my MB at the dealership. It is serving me every bit as well at about 1/3 the price or less.

Yeah, that's the 600 ones I was talking about, and they have some sweet ones for even more. And you're right, the more I spend, the odds increase that I'll leave it somewhere.

Try Etsy. I just looked a found several that looked decent enough for the price.

By the way, on the odds that losing your umbrella is in proportion to its cost/value -- It is a concern, but it need not be a fear. Many of we folks that have little personal treasures are subject to the same fears, but fact is, the value of a thing (or a person) to yourself changes the way you take care of it. As an example in my case, relatively high-buck fountain pens. Owning something like that isn't about showiness or selfishness, it is about appreciation of "the right tool", or the art or style of an object. So you and others have limits. Your behavior toward loss/damage takes a certain polite form: e.g. "You may look at and maybe handle my pen but please don't write with it.", or with an umbrella, perhaps: "Yes, you are welcome to admire or benefit from the use of it, but I'll be in control of it." It works. Any of your personal accessories, from your head to toe can be treated this way, and you probably already do that to some extent -- and people recognize that, too. You will develop a routine to feel comfortable with the whereabouts of your umbrella, because you value it. You own it, it does not own you. The purpose of your possession is to make you (and those around you) feel good, not too cause you to worry, or be someone you are not. It a way, your "possessions" are not yours alone, you have a sort of custodial role, (exclusive as that role may be -- I'm no communist, after all! 😂)

Top Bottom