What's new

Newbie Question About Honing

Ok so I am trying to hone my straight with a 4/8k Norton right now and then stopping it with straight leather. I am not getting quite the results that I would like. Would I be well served buying a Spyderco Ultrafine bench stone as a finishing stone to go in between the 8k side of the Norton and the leather stropping portion of my routine?

Thanks in advance!

I am most definitely NOT a honing expert, but I think almost all the guys that are use something past the 8K. Although most of them will probably also tell you that with good technique you can still get a "decent" shave off an 8K.

OK.....I just got a new 7/8 Henckels Friodur Square Point to give me something to compare my antique that I honed to. Even though I did not pay and have it pro-honed it was sharper straight out of the gate compared to the one that I had worked on. I believe that I am going to follow my 8k with .5 and .25 diamond paste.

But even though it wasn't as sharp I used my antique that I have been working for my third shave with a straight and it went well. Not as smooth or comfortable as a DE but better than the first two times I gave it a run.

Have you lapped your norton recently? These seem be somewhat finicky about being flat. After the 8k side of the norton you might want to use the linen side of your strop to improve the polish on the edge.

Would I be well served buying a Spyderco Ultrafine bench stone as a finishing stone to go in between the 8k side of the Norton and the leather stropping portion of my routine?

Yes.

Check it for flatness. Mine was pretty flat right out of the box. I've heard that pasted strops are great for finishing too. Haven't tried the pastes yet. My UF just made two of my vintage razors "crazy sharp". Use whichever sounds best for you.

Luck,

Top Bottom