What's new

been using straight razor, want to finish with nice DE razor

I've got an assortment of 4 or 5 straight razors i cycle through, but at the end of shaving- I typically reach for a Mach Fusion 5 blade to really smooth out left over areas I may have missed.

My question: I'm tired of paying 5 bucks per cartridge (even though they work very well) and would like to try a DE single blade (edge on each side) wet shaver of professional quality.

I get my best results from a 5/8 sized straight razor, but what should I start out with in terms of trying a metal (non-disposable) DE wet razor? I'm not looking for antique value- just something current that fits a smaller hand that I can use to sweep over the face for a final catch of anything i've missed.

Any good suggestions or choices for what I'm describing? price isn't as much an issue as good balance, feel in hand, a nice brand, and easy to use functionally.

Will also need to find a reseller as most of the eBay shops have closed down, and running into websites having trouble keeping stock on hand is more the norm these days.

I'm thrilled with the 5-blade disposable FUSION system- but at 5 dollars per cartridge (and finding a clerk to unlock the "holding cage')- I'd like to try just a nice DE wet razor (single blade per side) without the slotted grooves or twisted heads that will finish out my beard post straight razor treatment for that nice smooth finish. There's probably dozens of opinions, but what are the top 3 or 4 i should be looking for? (And i place to purchase them would be nice also.)

thank you to the community for kind helps!

-JACK$

honestly..if you have to use anything else to "finish" off your shave then your razor isnt truly shave ready...if your new to straight razors..then it would make sense to get the hang of using your straight raors 100%...if your razors tug n pull..they need to nbe rehoned...I am availble if you wish (PM me anytime)....keep your DE razor and get a sample pack of blades...even from our BST section..good options there..

SmallTank

I have to agree, if you're having trouble getting a smooth shave keep at the straights and if it needs to be rehoned so be it there are plenty of folks on here that will hone for free if you pay the shipping. If you're looking for a decent DE try to find yourself a Gillette Tech on here, can be had for under $15 in user-grade condition, and get yourself some Astra Superior Platinum blades from Amazon. This is a mild good starter set.

Why not a Parker shavette for the touch-up areas, and as a basis of comparison? That way you can continue to work on your straight technique.

I am going to go out on a limb here, and suggest something completely different.
I you like using a straight, but aren't getting the performance of a machined razor, then how's about a Durham Duplex, or maybe even a Weck.
Both are vintage straight type razors, very popular during the day, used a disposable blade, and you can find them all over for very cheap.
The Durham Duplex takes a DE blade (the blades are hard to find, but can be had, should you be interested I'll send you a pack of blades.) Here is a LINK to a good read.
The Weck is an SE straight that uses a disposable blade. The blades for these can be bought in different brands at may suppy houses. Here is a good LINK for the Weck.
I have several models of each, and they are excellent shavers. I have a duplex that belonged to my late daddy-in-law, and another that belonged to my best friends late father.
regards,
Bil
Weck. Poor pic, sorry...
proxy.php

Durham Duplex
proxy.php

Last edited:
I use a DE to touchup after my Feather and my quite-sharp straights. My technique with a straight is fine...probably better than that of quite a few people who claim constant DFS/BBS on the fora, but my neck will not give get totally smooth without a horizontal pass, which the straight razors cannot really accomplish. No amount of contortion or stretching or guillotine or scything strokes gets the job done effectively.

Though it's advertised as a novice DE, I really quite like the Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 (barley handle). It's pretty and seems to work comfortably with quite a few blades.

I have a recommendation!

GET A KAMISORI! something small like a 45mm one And here's almost all the info you need on buying, honing and all the fun stuff! . I prefer not to use disposable stuff for the environment and so on.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...at-least-to-expand-on-Kento-s-Kamisoi-Korner)

Also, I used to use a DE after a straight. If not a kami , then any of the disposables that you can find on this thread
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/341959-CONTEST-Pimp-Out-a-Shavette!

But with practice, and some practice at honing... you will be doing everything via straights. Good luck

FWIW, my main razors are kamisori, and I still finish with DE. Kamisori are just as bad as regular straights at the horizontal neck thing, and somewhat worse in a way because the blade+handle is longer than the blade+tang of a folding straight.

If your face is cooperative and a straight gets everything well, congratulations. For others, however, to painfully contort oneself and get a consistently inferior shave just to stubbornly adhere to a less ideal tool is ridiculous.

ok - so i bought the DE merkur FUTUR system from a dealer here on the west coast, plus one of their multi pack assortment baggies - 10 blades each: feather, persona, gillette double D platinum blues, dorco, and something from somewhere that's so dangerously sharp, I had to sign a waiver.
I said forget cost- I'm going to try this DE razor. I'm swearing off more Mach / Fusion cartridges. I'm going to keep right at straight razor shaving, and use a DE for touch up- but only after I've attempted the straight razor on that area. For some reason it's the area above my upper lip and below my nose that's the most troublesome spot for me to shave -- everything else - pretty much pain free (tug free i should say) but under my schnoz it pulls, it tugs, it HURTS! That's where the DE comes in! Chop Suey!

Seriously thank you for all the kind replies and comments - I've reached out to a few people about honing. Really i don't know how often a hone should be done - save actual shaving test. I'm not sure if I'm being to light or hard on my 3" leather strop. I know the spine must be flat against the leather, but should the other end: the sharp part "drag" a bit so you can hear it ? Or is that dragging too deep? (I'll post this part in the hone forum as well)

Again thank you for the ideas: the shavette idea, the generous gift that was offered, and all of the kind input. Really this is a fantastic forum, thank you to all the members that presented ideas to help me get to a solution. Thank you to Badger and Blade for their great website as well. I think we are assured that straight razor shaving will not become a lot art. So many enjoy it, as do I. And not just from economic point of view. But it's cool to shave "old school" -- if you understand the lingo.

Top Bottom