What's new

An embarrassment of richness - with Mike's | Mystic Water | Barrister & Mann

As outlined in an introduction post elsewhere in these forums, I am a couple of years into DE shaving and I come at this from a desire to not spend a lot of money, period. I was getting a nice lather from VDH Deluxe and wasn't breaking the bank of buying pucks of it at Wal-Mart. I just wanted something with a better scent for my nose. I didn't see anything locally other than Williams, and after having a laugh at what Art Of Shaving is asking for a puck of soap at the mall (again, it may be worth it, but I couldn't justify the cost-- it would irritate me to spend that much for soap going forward) I decided to try out some of the tallow based artisan soaps I read about in these forums.

I ordered samplers from Mike's Natural, Mystic Water and Barrister & Mann. This is my experience with them.

Ordering
I placed an order with Mike's Natural back at the first of May. Unbeknownst to me, Mike was finishing his doctorate and getting married, so he fell behind in orders. As a result I received his soaps last. I ordered samples from Mystic Water a day after Mike's and got them within 4 days. While I was sampling MW and waiting on Mike's I decided to try out Barrister & Mann. I ordered their sampler on the 17th and received my soaps on the 20th. I cannot recommend the customer service of MW and B&M any higher. Good communication throughout the process. I can't say the same for Mike's Natural. Although I understand I caught him at the worst possible time, it is taking him a while to get caught back up on his orders. This may be moot in a month or so, but it is part of buying soap from a smaller vendor. I have read enough in these forums to know that Mike's Natural will be just fine going forward.

Scents
At the beginning of this exercise, based on descriptions I read, I thought Mike's Barber Shop was going to be my choice for a scent. And this is perhaps the most subjective aspect of a soap purchase, so make of it what you will. Mystic Waters soaps have a milder scent to my nose, more soapy (not in a bad way) than either Mike's or B&M. Mike's soaps tend to give off more scent as they lather, and B&M's soap has a solid scent throughout. I won't go into too much detail here but I discovered I really liked four of the scents I came across (figures, right?). Mystic Waters' Irish Traveller is my wife's favorite and smells great. I tried MW's Lilly of the Valley (I didn't try Mike's) on a whim and discovered I liked its scent, too. Mike's Barber Shop is very good. But in the end I like B&M's Seville the best. Very close to Barber Shop but just more my cup of tea I guess. And also I think I should mention that B&M's Cheshire really does smell like Earl Grey Tea.

Lather
I load my Fine Badger brush once, take it to the bowl, scrape it off, and load again. Then go back to the bowl and lather for about 25 secs. All three soaps were "thirstier" than what I was used to but I am able to get a fine lather from all of them. As others have stated, I work a little harder with Mystic Water, but I can get a good lather with it. Both Mike's and B&M just explode off the brush in no time. I can get that "straight out of the can Barbasol" consistency with all three, though. All three soaps are slick and luxurious compared to what I was using before, and I easily get 3 pass shaves off of very little soap every shave.

The best thing about these tallow soaps is how your skin feels post shave. I will likely never go back to anything else. They leave my skin feeling baby's butt smooth and moisturized throughout the day. In fact, I reapply the last of my lather to my face after my third pass to just let it sit there for a while while I dry my hair just to give me more scent and smoothness.

Conclusion
We really do have an "embarrassment of richness" with these and other artisan tallow soaps here in the States. I probably didn't help anyone decide on their soap with this, but the good news is that no matter which way you go, you will get a very good soap that is amazing for your skin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews!
I'm a huge Mystic Water fan, and Mike's get a lot of love here. Barrister & Mann is a new one to me. Will have to investigate more next year.
You should probably also try Queen Charlotte Soaps (I tried, I liked!) and Saint Charles Shaves soaps (haven't tried, but also gets much love).

P.S. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame Tell us more about yourself, and welcome to B&B!

Great review--thorough, concise and clear.

This parallels my experience, although B&M was late due to moving during the hunt for the Boston Marathon bombers. (May such a terrible act never happen again.)

Dennis

Great review. I've tried Mike's and MW.... and I just ordered the B&M sampler today. Looking forward to trying those too. Thanks.

Ben

I've been trying to hold off as long as possible to add more soap to my den but I can't stop hearing about B&M lately, so I just ordered the Cheshire and Seville pucks! Can't wait to try them!

I've been trying to hold off as long as possible to add more soap to my den but I can't stop hearing about B&M lately, so I just ordered the Cheshire and Seville pucks! Can't wait to try them!

I definitely feel the same way about Mike's. I have so many creams and soaps that I literally probably don't need to buy another until 2015 or beyond, but I just couldn't NOT purchase Mike's after hearing so many amazing reviews of this product. I actually haven't used any tallow-based soaps either, so this was another point that ultimately led me to purchase two soaps in tins and two samples. I can't wait for them to arrive! I think he is still a little bit behind in processing orders, as Kevin_S said above, but looking forward to the arrival from Brooklyn nonetheless.

This has been exactly my experience. I'm now firmly a tallow based shaver and these three shops will be my go to from now on. If only I could shave more than once a day!!!

By far, Mike's is my most often used soap (I have 7 of his scents and plan on ordering the others). I am getting ready to order the B&M soaps to see what I think of them. Can't go wrong with Mikes though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us about these 3 soaps. It sounds like they are all winners.

Like others I've read quite many great things about these soaps and look forward to giving them a try. Tallow soaps leave my face feeling great and will always have a few in the rotation.

I can't say anything bad about any of the 3. I think you chose well. I would also recommend giving Strop Shoppe a try. They offer a tallow or no tallow version, and the special edition has lanolin for extra moisturizing.

Used Barrister & Mann Vetiver Heather and Clary Sage last night. What a great shave soap this is and yes I agree with the poster as I have shave soaps by all three Artisan Soap makers. I would have to say that Barrister and Mann is slowly moving to the top as my favorite between all three.

I can't say anything bad about any of the 3. I think you chose well. I would also recommend giving Strop Shoppe a try. They offer a tallow or no tallow version, and the special edition has lanolin for extra moisturizing.
Thanks for clarifying this -- I thought the special edition versions were just larger. Have you compared their tallow vs non-tallow versions?

I'm tempted to buy some Barrister and Mann because of all the glowing reviews, here. But I have so much soap.... and even the Mike's samples last SO long! I don't know when I might get to it. And I've been ignoring the call of MdC (beyond the samples I've had, which convinced it is indeed extraordinarily good stuff).

Last edited:
Thanks for the great reviews!

I have a tiny Shave Den, so I'm been trying to not get so many different soaps. I think I'm going to have to give into the urges and support some artisans later this month.

I own multiple full pucks of all three brands and think they are great. I would rank them as follows:

1) Mike's
2) B&M
3) MW

My samples of B&M soaps are in the mail today. If they're as good as I've read, it sounds like they'll join the ranks of my tins of Mike's. One thing I do like is that they don't have much overlap of scents - if they perform similarly, they should be great complements to each other.

I've used all three and I like all three of them so far. I just added a puck of B&M to the rotation which was all Mike's. An embarasment of riches I tell ya.

Top Bottom