What's new

The Search For The Elusive Alden Ravello Chukka Boot

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As the year winds down, there is still no sign of the elusive Alden Ravello chukka boot. Nose to the grindstone in 2014. :yesnod:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another website I did not need to see. :biggrin:
But, I'm glad I did. Thanks Henry.

proxy.php

what has been seen cannot be unspent.

my search began in early 2013... and has been fruitless thus far. it's probably worse because i am currently based in asia. the availability of even a whiskey chukka would have seen me booking tickets for a flight home to america.

i've given up and decided to settle for a pair of alden's #8 chukkas before prices break the $700 mark. let's keep this thread alive... and put me down for a custom order in ravello if/when that becomes possible.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
THE SEARCH IS OVER!

After nearly two years, I have finally landed my "holy grail" as far as footwear goes.

To be exact, I have finally obtained the elusive Alden Ravello chukka that I had been searching out for quite some time.

As some of you may recall, all the emails I sent out in the early summer of 2013 searching for the elusive Ravello came back empty. Well, just the other day, while minding my own business, I received an email from Alden of San Francisco indicating that they had just received a pair of Ravello chukkas in my size and if I was still interested. If I was still interested! :eek: Are you kidding me?

As I learned the hard way several years ago, these exotic colors come around for a short time and then disappear and do not become available for lengthy periods of time. I was not about to make that mistake twice. Time was of the essence. (Plus, I'm not getting any younger. :yesnod: )

However, before picking up the phone and just ordering on pure impulse, I collected my thoughts and wanted to make sure these shoes were exactly what I wanted so I put a list of questions together since the purchase of these shoes was to be made sight unseen. On occasion, Alden's QC has come into question for selling shoes that should not go out the factory door. I promised myself that I would not settle for anything less than perfection (perfection in the eye of the beholder, of course.). In my mind, I had come too far and waited too long to settle for something less.

1. Were these shoes "seconds"? (Shoes that had slight imperfections and did not quite make the grade and are sold at a discount.)
2. Were these shoes previously purchased and subsequently returned?
3. Did anyone try these shoes on in the store thereby putting creases in them?
4. Did any of the color bleed into the edging of the sole?
5. Were there any blemishes and/or discoloration in the leather?
6. What color were the soles and did they have antique edging?
7. Were they on the Barrie last with double oak leather sole? (I did not want a commando sole).
8. How was the shade of this recent batch of Ravello? Was it lighter or darker, was it reddish?

The answers to questions 1-5 was "no", thankfully.
The answer to question 6 was that the sole was a "mid-brown" which he indicated was their favorite set-up for this shoe. (I also preferred this as well.)
The answer to question 7 was that these shoes were indeed on the Barrie last with the double oak leather sole. (Yes! :thumbup1:)
Finally, the color of the Ravello was a lighter tone with "some yellow".

In other words, the shoe was everything I wanted. :thumbup1:

Order placed. Followed tracking diligently over the last several days and they have finally arrived.

After years of searching and years of speculation about the shell cordovan shortage. After all the thoughts of giving up and just purchasing something similar and almost throwing in the towel altogether, I have finally obtained the shoe that has been so elusive for so long.

The Alden Ravello chukka. As far as I am concerned, it was worth the wait.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The fit feels perfect. I'll wear them around the house for a few days during a short break-in period before wearing them into the wild. :wink:

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful shoes, absolutely great color. And with what seems to be a shrinking supply of shell cordovan these days, I can only imagine how happy you are with these.

Top Bottom