What's new

Just got me a Weck!

I'm now the proud owner of a vintage Weck shavette. I'm going to Sally's tomorrow to get some blades while on my lunch break.

While I can't wait to try it out, it is a bit intimidating. It does have the guard, should I use the guard the first few times I shave with it to get used to the motions?

$wecky.jpg

It does have the US Medical logo at the bottom as well.

yes, use the guard at first, then if you get the hang. try without. The Wecks, and it's DE cousin, the Durham Duplex are stalwalt shavers.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Nice find. If everybody else says to try it with the guard first, go for it. Mine doesn't have the guard, so I had to do without, but I probably would've used it for a bit given the opportunity.

If you haven't read it already, check out this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...toblade-Pass-The-Reviews?highlight=sextoblade. I don't know that it gives any practical advice, but it's a great reassurance that you made a good choice.

I started with straights, and got used to the ability to change the angle of the shave at will. This doesn't play well into using the guard to shave. If you start with the guard, and like it, you can stick with it or remove it. Once I got used to using the guard, it did a very nice job of stretching my skin and getting me a closer shave that was very very smooth and comfortable. I use the stainless steel blades from Sally's. I don't remember the brand off hand, but they were the cheapest I could find, and they were half off when I got them. I want to say I got at least 20 shaves out of a blade, without stropping/honing/or anything else (likely more than that). Sextoblades are great shavers, and you got a really nice one with the stainless steel handle. The handles on those can almost be too heavy, and make holding a consistent angle difficult. I found that by changing the angle of the handle I was able to correct for that problem. Good luck and enjoy!

Picked up a box of 5 Fromm and 5 Personna shaper blades from Sally's (and got myself the discount card, which is great since now I need scissors to trim my mustache, good thing I got a $5 coupon as well!) and well just couldn't wait to give it a try.

Prep: Hot Shower and washed face with Everyman Jack face scrub
Soap: La Toja stick
Brush: VHD Badger
Blade: Personna
Aftershave: Alum, cold water splash, Nivea Sensitve Skin balm

I found it a little awkward to hold it and find the angle. After one pass the spots I was able to lock in were nice and smooth but it was a little patchy. A few weepers and a good nick on my adam's apple but no major scaring. Probably going to have some irritation on my cheek and neck as it still feels a little raw. It reminded me of my first SE shaves with a Gen 1912.

I did use my Gillette Tech to clean up some of the patches. I'll give my face a few days to heal up and then try again.

Those Fromm and Personna blades are machine sharpened and can be very unforgiving. Be sure to use a light touch with minimal pressure until you're familiar with them. You have a razor sharp blade, let it do it's job, you just need to guide it. Since they were mentioned, I will as a side note say that I've found the Durham Duplex to be a bit more forgiving if you should inadvertently get heavy on the pressure. But I agree both are great shavers.

Those Fromm and Personna blades are machine sharpened and can be very unforgiving. Be sure to use a light touch with minimal pressure until you're familiar with them. You have a razor sharp blade, let it do it's job, you just need to guide it. Since they were mentioned, I will as a side note say that I've found the Durham Duplex to be a bit more forgiving if you should inadvertently get heavy on the pressure. But I agree both are great shavers.
Are you saying that other blades are sharpened by hand? Is that why they are so much more expensive? I have only seen ones sharpened by machine. I have never found the Fromm blades to be too harsh, but maybe that's just me.

Are you saying that other blades are sharpened by hand? Is that why they are so much more expensive? I have only seen ones sharpened by machine. I have never found the Fromm blades to be too harsh, but maybe that's just me.

I think he's pointing out the diff between a shavette and a traditional straight

My first Weck did not have a guard, but I had used a straight a few times so I wasn't worried about it. After I got a model with a guard, I used it a few times. The guard makes it is simple, easy, and as safe as using a DE. That said, after a couple uses, I ditched the guard, and have used my Wecks without them ever since. I prefer them without. But, if you have never used a straight before, the guard will help you fin the right angle to shave with, since it limits your range.

The stainless steel medical model looks nice, but I do not like how heavy the scales are. It makes it kind of awkward to hold onto while shaving. I much prefer the Wecks with the plastic scales.

Is the only place to find these on the bay? (or antique stores?)

I guess what I am asking is they don't make these any longer, right?

Is the only place to find these on the bay? (or antique stores?)
I guess what I am asking is they don't make these any longer, right?
No, they are no longer made. But you can tell by availability of them that they must have been very popular in their day...
Same with the Durham Duplex.

The Weck Sextoblades are no longer made, but Fromm and other brand hair shapers are still made. That's the only reason we can still buy blades. The hair shapers are a bit shorter in length, but the blade is the same. It shaves as well, just is a bit trickier to hold. I use a Weck hair shaper in my travel kit.

Since I've never shaved with a straight or shavette before I can say that anyway I hold it is a little bit awkward. I am noticing the Personna blades aren't that smooth and the guard, while preventing serious damage, does get annoying having to flip it every so often.

I do notice that my face feels... sore after a shave. The lather is the same consistency as when I use a DE/SE but maybe I need need to modify it when I use the Weck.

Your lather is probably fine. Getting used to shaving with an exposed blade takes some getting used to as the muscle memory needs to be relearned. Also, the no pressure rule we try to apply to safety razors is absolutely critical in achieving an irritation free shave with a Weck. Once you have re-taught yourself to keep the pressure light and the angle low you should have no problem getting a very close, irritation free shave. I can tell when my technique is on point when after the first (WTG) pass I have already achieved a CCS. Patience and repetition are your friends when it comes to these razors.

Today I popped in a Fromm blade and had a long leisurely shave. I think I do like the Fromm blades more than the Personnas, a bit more glide.

I had about three days growth (letting a nick heal up) and had my first great (but not bbs) shave with my Weck! A little irritation on my neck from my third pass (I couldn't help myself) but no weepers and no new cuts/nicks. I am really enjoying this razor and glad I picked it up on eBay. I do like how I can also use the guard to safely remove the blade from the handle.

I think he's pointing out the diff between a shavette and a traditional straight

Sorry, been away from the PC for a couple weeks.

Yes the difference between the traditional straight and shavette replacable blades is what I was trying to get at. A barber I used to go to once told me he didn't like giving shaves since he moved to the changeable blade style razors. He claimed that because they were machine sharpened and typically weren't stropped the factory sharpening could leave a burred edge that made it easier to nick customers. He much preferred traditional straights.

I've found that on occasion the brand new out of the box blade can be less forgiving on the first shave or two and I've experimented with corking and stropping with mixed results. A light touch seems to be the best rule of thumb in my personal experience, of course as always YMMV.

Top Bottom