What's new

Is it important that your shaving software have fragrance?

Almost everything in the "wetshaving" world seems to be scented, from soaps to witch hazels to aftershaves and creams.

Some makers offer unscented products but it seems like they account for a small percentage of purchases.

Why is that?

Until recently I used mostly unscented products for shaving. I still like them. When I read a review of an unscented product that gives it a zero for scent (which drastically reduces the overall score) I always shake my head. Anyone that opposed to a unscented product shouldn't be reviewing it, IMO. But I digress...

I now have a few scented shave creams/soaps and for the most part, I like them. I typically prefer they be lightly scented. The exception so far has been ADP/XXX which has an intoxicating scent, IMO. The AOS sandalwood smells nice, but i find it a bit too strong, especially when I pair it with the preshave oil and aftershave balm. I only do this on occasion, when I think I can take smelling it all day.

There are scents that bother other people, but don't seem to bother me. Arko comes to mind. It has a strong soap/fake lemon scent to me. But by the time you get it lathered up, it isn't strong at all and it doesn't seem to linger. So that's fine.

To summarize, unscented shave products do not spoil the experience for me at all. Nicely scented products can enhance the experience a bit, I suppose.

Scent is a selling/marketing point. It has little to do with the performance of the product. It is there just to add a little more enjoyment, nothing else.

This backfires sometimes as some scents are not accepted well by some people.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me the scent is part of the performance of a shaving product or, if you prefer, it's olfactory delight that really cannot be missing.

Definitely olfactory senses are some of our most acute senses and to be invigorated with scent while also taking enjoyment in various other qualities of a product enhances the overall perception of the product. I think unscented products are for people who do not want the intrusion of scent in their shaving routine or people who have allergies or sensitivities to scents.

Definitely olfactory senses are some of our most acute senses and to be invigorated with scent while also taking enjoyment in various other qualities of a product enhances the overall perception of the product. I think unscented products are for people who do not want the intrusion of scent in their shaving routine or people who have allergies or sensitivities to scents.
I would add that unscented products also have a role when you know you are going to be in close proximity to people with sensitivities or somewhere scented products are banned. Shaving is not an intrinsically pleasant task. We make it so with our tools and accessories. Scents play a large role in that capacity.

Unscented products are fine for shaving. But the right scent can be the difference between a good shave and a memorable shaving experience.

For shaving I love the various smells and aftershave is a big one to top it all off. I love a clean scent. However, I often go for unscented shower soaps. Mostly because I try to cut fragrances (added chemicals) from as many products as I can. But the scents of shaving products is just too great.

I prefer scented, but I like products with a much lighter scent than when I started wetshaving. That's the main reason I switched to soaps.

I think scents are a good chunk of why I enjoy shaving. A light scent where you can pick up the different scents building up is quite enjoyable

When I read a review of an unscented product that gives it a zero for scent (which drastically reduces the overall score) I always shake my head.

+1 I don't prefer unscented products but I would never penalize a product for offering exactly what it advertises. As a consumer, if you buy an unscented product and then complain about the lack of scent there is something wrong.

The variety available is part of the fun of this hobby, when you're no longer shaving with lowest common denomenator stuff.

Fragrance is really important to me, I would probably not have discovered traditional wet shaving if it wasn't for the scent of the soaps/creams & aftershaves.

Well I am here and backat DE shaving because my SO so hated the scent of my Gillette gel that it affected her and she did not even say anything for years. I started with brush and trying new creams/soaps and now DE old gillette slim adjustable salvaged from her dad.

Now I am told my Nivea AS balm is off limits too. I liked that one too.

Scent is important - trust me :tongue_sm

Well, I can't smell anything due to an injury. I do use both scented and unscented soaps, but I let my wife pick the scent. I pick the vendor and she gets the scent she likes. I do hold the line on seasonality of certain scents. While I can't smell, I can feel and for summer, I love the feel of Vostok. I wish Mike's Natural would come out with a competitor so we had a choice, but I love the heavy menthol load for summer. I even sneak it in during the winter as I miss it.

For me, scent is part of it. Sort of aroma therapy, calming or exhilarating as I so desire. Curiously, I really like the scent of MWF, and to me, it's not so much a scent as the way soap ought to smell.

Scent is important and absolutely enjoyable in the experience, but if an unscented product performs better than a fragranced one, I'd pick the unscented anytime.

You can get all your nutrition from bland food, but who wants to? For me, scented soaps turn a necessary chore into an enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom