What's new

TimS' shave journal

Nope. It's such an ordeal landing them in the rocks and waves that I try to get them back in as soon as possible.

I will, however, add my favorite albie picture. Probably my best fishing day, ever.
$IMG_0005.jpg

Christopher at Shavesmith tells me the tortoises he made new blades for are inbound. In the meantime, some pictures from him:
$Turtles4.jpg$Turtles3.jpg$Turtles1.jpg

Between shaves right now, and have never looked forward to a straight razor shave more. Been on the road carry-on only, so I've been using CVS disposables with the lubricating strip for the past week--never again; these things leave behind a slimy trail after every pass. Disgusting. And now I'm back in the states, but not yet home, so going without a shave for a few days. I am so looking forward to tomorrow night's shave. I'll probably spend the time until then deciding on which razor. I already know it'll be one of my big wedges, just not sure which one yet.

Any recommendations for a 'decent' disposable? My job duties now entail short trips abroad periodically, so I need to settle on something for carry-on luggage.

Hopefully I'll be getting back to this journal a bit more. I have a line of razors ready to be honed, so I'll document my successes or lack thereof when I get around to hitting the stones.

Last night's much-anticipated shave didn't happen. Been feeling kind of crappy since returning from overseas on Friday, and last night I opted to get to bed early. Took a sick day today (feeling much better as I type this). Finally got rid of the itchy, 4+ days of growth (the most I've had in recent memory) this afternoon. Rather than using one of my big Sheffields as planned, I touched up my Red Point on a Nakayama Asagi with a light tomo slurry and then 50 linen/100 leather. Shave was very, very nice. A fresh shave and decreasing cold symptoms is making for a pleasant evening.

Tonight I touched up my Dorko on a Nakayama Kiita with medium tomo slurry. I shaved with this razor a while back, and put it in the 'to hone' que right after. Not sure if it needs more than a touch up, so I'll start there and test shave tomorrow.

Razors of the day:
$20151019_182048~2.jpg.png

Regarding my post a couple back about a recommended disposable for travel, I poked around the archives on B&B and came across the Gillette Guard. A no-nonsense pivoting head (no slime strip) that seems to get good reviews. $6 sent to India last night got some of them shipped to me today. I'll let you know what I think when I get the razor.

Dorko shave didn't go so well; ATG not so hot. Since I've never taken this razor to bevel-set, looks like that's where I'm headed next.

Well, the St. Sue auction is over and I find myself the winner of a couple of items--Bluesman's big smiley and the Frankonian hone from Gamma. Both were actually last-minute impulse buys, but now that I'm going to come into possession of that blade and after re-reading the thread about its creation, I feel a bit unworthy. It must have taken a lot for Vic to donate his first finished razor, and I am deeply appreciative of that and I recognize the sacrifice and selflessness of the act. Thank you Mr. Bluesman.

Larry, I only bid on that razor because you were outbid by someone else; I wouldn't have taken away your chance at Kirinite otherwise :)

And Gamma, thank YOU for your wonderful donation. I hope I can get the performance out of the stone it's capable of.

after re-reading the thread about its creation, I feel a bit unworthy. It must have taken a lot for Vic to donate his first finished razor, and I am deeply appreciative of that and I recognize the sacrifice and selflessness of the act. Thank you Mr. Bluesman.
Your very welcome Tim. It is freshly honed and will be in the mail today. Congratulations and thanks for bidding.

That was a very generous donation to the auction, Vic. I hope you don't mind the rude teasing, nonetheless. I am real glad that a friend has your razor.

Nice job, gentlemen.

That was a very generous donation to the auction, Vic. I hope you don't mind the rude teasing, nonetheless. I am real glad that a friend has your razor.

Nice job, gentlemen.
Thanks Larry. I read the "into the fire" thread and it reminded me of a friend that died of cancer. The donation was a snap decision much like Tim's.

I enjoy the teasing, friends tease, not in the least bit rude.

Tim, I read enough of your posts that it feels like the razor is still staying in the family.

Top Bottom