What's new

goatee shaping

Hi all,

A question came up for me today during my shave as I was trying to achieve a nice even edge on the sides of my goatee. How do you guys with goatees approach them with a DE? When I used an M3 I just did strikes from my ear toward the goatee (i.e. towards my mouth), winding up with the blade straight up and down, parallel to the side of my goatee. But with a DE do you do a vertical stroke "along the side" of the goatee, followed by an XTG pass similar to the M3 stroke I described above? I wasn't sure how best to approach it.

--Dave

I do four passes, WTG, XTG in each direction, and ATG. Each direction presents a different approach to getting a straight line there, but probably the best shaping opportunity for me is XTG, either beginning at the goatee or ending there. I do pretty well, and the barber fixes things up if need be when I get a haircut.

I usual go with the grain along the edge, then if it still looks like my goatee is trying to creep back across my cheeks I just trim across the grain away from my beard. Seems to work. When I still had my Vision I had to cheat and use a bic disposable for the tricky bits as I couldnt see where the edge was behind the Visions enormous head:tongue_sm

I don't get too close to my goatee until my against the grain pass. For doing precision sculpting I wait until I'm done, rub some soapy water around my goatee, so i can clearly see what I'm doing, and shave the hair off very carefully.

There is definately a technique to it though. And remember, if you mess it up it grows back.

Hi all,

A question came up for me today during my shave as I was trying to achieve a nice even edge on the sides of my goatee. How do you guys with goatees approach them with a DE? When I used an M3 I just did strikes from my ear toward the goatee (i.e. towards my mouth), winding up with the blade straight up and down, parallel to the side of my goatee. But with a DE do you do a vertical stroke "along the side" of the goatee, followed by an XTG pass similar to the M3 stroke I described above? I wasn't sure how best to approach it.

--Dave

I do what you described above. It has worked pretty good so far. I make a pass with the grain first, getting as close as I can, then get closer with the blade parallel to the side. It has worked good so far.

Hi all,

--Dave

i have had a goatee for a while now even when i used a fusion..the BEST way to get crisp and RAZOR sharp (no pun intended) edges is to use a snapped DE with a disposable straight razor like a Shavette. I use that first then i proceed to shave with my DE as usual.

Top Bottom