What's new

Closed comb to open comb? Any recommendations?

Hi all,

Been DE shaving for about 4 months and have been loving the experience. In exploring the site, I've become interested in maybe trying an open comb razor. I'm presently using a DE89L, which I've been very happy with. The shave is pretty close.. but have some problem areas such as under the nose, my cheeks and under my chin that seem not to be as close as I'd like. I shave everyday and do 2-3 passes. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for an open comb razor to try that's not too agressive???

Regards,

RM

I'd say a vintage Gillette NEW, or New Improved. Moderately aggressive, well balanced and great feedback.

I started with a late 40's SS, then got a late 30's Tech, then a red and black bar handled NEW and then a Muhle 89- same head as your DE89.

Its a toss up for me between the NEW and DE 89 as to which is my favorite. I like them both, the extra weight of the Muhle is nice and makes me wish sometimes for a heavier handle for the NEW.

But when you need a really close shave, a Feather in the NEW is hard to beat. 2 pass BBS is easy. :)

I love my gillette Old Type OC still my favourite razor to date

These are the models just before the Gillette new that have the "bullets" on the underside of the head that fit through the baseplate for alignment

Gillette Old Type, Single Ring, New (long and short) are very nice.
If you want possibly the best ones, the Aristocrats are the top of the line ones. Good luck.

I don't have much OC experience, but I just picked up a Cadet, and it is a great shaver. Definitely a closer shave than my Merkur 38C, and no irritation to speak of. I also got a Muhle 41 in the mail today, so we'll give that a go.

Merkur 15c

I find it causes less irritation than the Ej89 used to when doing 3 passes (w, x, atg) and the Ej89 was already a very mild one. The Merkur gives me a close shave with 1 or 2 passes wtg/xtg and there is zero irritation, as if I hadn't shaved at all. Since I got it about 40 days ago, I have shaved every single day with BBS or close to BBS, something I could never have done before because I would need at least 1 or 2 days off per week...

I have a Gillette New Long-Comb that I use fairly regularly -- good shave, somewhat on the aggressive side. Be careful, though; a friend of mine who was used to closed comb razors cut the crap out of his face the first time he tried an open comb, and is now strongly of the opinion that you have to be a LOT lighter on the face with an OC, especially when you're first learning.

I have a Gillette New Long-Comb that I use fairly regularly -- good shave, somewhat on the aggressive side. Be careful, though; a friend of mine who was used to closed comb razors cut the crap out of his face the first time he tried an open comb, and is now strongly of the opinion that you have to be a LOT lighter on the face with an OC, especially when you're first learning.

Nah it's not about Open Comb vs closed comb, but about how much blade exposure there is, combined with the shape of the head. You can have a very aggressive closed comb, like a Fatboy on setting #9, which is far more aggressive than a NEW. But is a NEW more aggressive than a Tech, or EJ 89- yes. One other benefit of the OC is the cream isn't scraped away before the blade hits it like a closed comb, and OC's seem to provide more feedback.

I've been DE safety razor shaving for two weeks now after a 40+ year hiatus and this morning I shaved with my new Merkur 41 aka 1904. It's my new favorite razor and it cost me under $27 shipped to my door.

Vintage Tech/New/Old Model Gillettes in nice user shape(may require a little cleaning or polishing), should be less than 15 bucks all day on fleabay..I use a 40's Tech Fat Handle with a Feather Blade..smooth shave every time....I dont know what breaking the bank to you is but for 50 bucks you could get 3 or 4 nice vintage razors and see what you like best...:001_cool:

Top Bottom