What's new

Half Way to a Hundred: A Special Thanks to global_dev, life2short, and Bayamontate

I was going to post this in my shaving journal, but I decided to post where it may get some more traffic. As I completed my 50th straight razor shave today, I reflected on the lessons learned in the past few months - specifically, I thought about all of the help I've gotten from this forum. In particular there have been a few members who have really helped me push through a few sticking points in my learning curve, and I want to take a moment to thank them publicly. Without their help, I'm not sure I would have stuck it out.

The first member I'd like to thank is global_dev. When I was first started honing, Jon offered to analyze some of my honing work and provide some constructive criticism. He took the time to send pictures of the edge as he received it, then also what it looked at after finishing it off on one of his JNats. It continues to be a really useful tool for me. Since then, he's suffered through all my nit-picky questions about how he maxes out an edge, how he sets a bevel, etc. It's all stuff I'm sure he has answered a hundred times, but he always provides a fast response and does so without the slightest hint of annoyance.

Next up is life2short. A while back, Scott offered some free honing on his coticules, on which I took him up. I shot him a PM and explained that I had two razors that needed honing: one smiling wedge, and a standard 5/8". I told him that I would prefer to get the wedge honed, but I also realized that required more attention, so if his time was stretched thin, I'd be more than appreciative to have him hone up the easier one. His response: just send both. He had them sent back out the same day he received them. A while after that, I posted in a thread that I was struggling with my own coticule. He took it upon himself to reach out to me and offer to provide an edge analysis like Jon did. I sent him my rock and a couple of razors - he provided feedback on areas of improvement, commentary on my stone, and two finished razors that are far better than I'll be able achieve anytime soon. Also like Jon, he has endured my endless questioning about how to improve my coticule honing, what to look for in future stones, etc.

Last is a member I've just recently started conversing with, Bayamontate. I purchased a JNat from him from the BST, which had the explicit expectation that no slurry stone of any sort was included. I received my package to find the JNat along with a "surprise" that Nelson mentioned in a PM - the surprise was a beautiful tomo, which pairs extremely well with the stone. In his explanation of the pairing he said something to the effect of "The two just work so well together, there was no chance I couldn't include it." Additionally, he provided some great info about the nuances of the stone and how he has max'ed out his edges on it. Furthermore, when he reads a post where I mention I've used the stone, he'll shoot me a note to see if I have any questions or any issues. It's clear that he really loved this stone, and he wants to make sure I get as much enjoyment from it as he has.

So that's all for now. Members like these three are the reason this forum is such a great thing to be a part of. They're generous with their time, and they're genuinely interested in making sure us new guys have the help they need to continue this great hobby/pastime/lifestyle of ours. I can't thank them enough for their mentorship - but I do hope to be able to pay forward the generosity they've shown me (when my talents warrant it). Jon, Scott, and Nelson, you guys are all class acts, and I truly appreciate all you've done to help me out.

Don

absolutely not a problem.. glad to help!

proxy.php

*that's not mine, just fooling around.

Great guys all. Bayamontate helped me get through my first difficult Kami shaves and Scott is the reason I broke through to my first successful edge on a razor. Jon is giving me one of his Palmeras on my Birthday but he doesn't know it yet.

Top Bottom