What's new

A small stash of straights in a Delaware antique store

I'm pretty new around here, so not sure of the protocol for something like this, but hopefully I can help someone out without violating any rules.

While traveling up part of the east coast last week, I stopped frequently in antique stores/malls to look at straights. Since I haven't even started the straight-shaving journey yet (got all the gear--I think I'll start this weekend), I'm mildly interested in what's out there, but no real designs on being a collector or restorer, and no ability to hone either. Can't say I know enough to look for when shopping other than superficial looks and a few well-known brands. I usually only ran into one or two straights in each shop, almost all in nasty condition (rust, chips, broken scales, etc.). Nothing jumped out at me until I made a stop in Delaware.

There, the owner had two nondescript straights on display. I asked if she had any more, and surprisingly, she pulled out a small chest that had maybe 4-5 dozen straights in it--$25 each. Again, not really knowing much, I saw two Wade & Butchers (wedges, but not the really big ones) in pretty nice condition, so I grabbed those. I had two more other razors I can't recall I was interested in if I could get a deal. She told me since I had first dibs on the collection, she wouldn't cut me a break; I only bought the W&B's.

Everything else was in pretty good shape; a few cracked scales, but no rust or major damage that I can tell.

When I was checking out, she offered to sell me the whole batch for $600. My wife would've killed me if I walked in the door spending that much money on something I know almost nothing about.

If anyone here is in Delaware and wants to check this shop out, send me a PM for the name--probably makes more sense than just posting it here.

Wow, I still dream about the day I come across a box of razors, especially at such a good price. I'd love to see some pictures of this box and also of the two that you walked away with.

Man, finally composed a reply and lost it! Here I go again...

Here are some pictures. I hit the steel with MAAS, but no other cleaning (yet). If anyone has ideas for removing the stains from the blade with the barber's notch (the stain runs along the blade portion exposed outside of the scales when closed), I'd appreciate if you could pass them along to me.

I didn't take any pictures at the store. Of course, 20-20 hindsight being what it is, I'm kicking myself now for not doing so.

As far as talking her prices down, the lady was pretty shrewd--she first told me she'd give me a break if I bought a few. Then she remarked about some young guy (compared to me? I'm only in my 40's!) buying some razors from her, and she was amazed he actually shaved with them. So, when I picked 4 and asked what she could do for me, she was quick to say that she wouldn't cut me a break, since I had first crack at the collection and I obviously must've picked the best (who knows if I really did?). Having first pick flies in the face of her earlier statement of another guy buying some from her. Regardless, I'm fine with what I got, since I don't know any better.

oops, sorry for the upside-down pics and a repeat pic.

Attachments

• $photo-1.jpg
    $photo-1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 188
  • $photo-2.jpg
    $photo-2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 186
  • $photo-3.jpg
    $photo-3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 186
  • $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 187
  • $photo-1.jpg
    $photo-1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
YOUNG MAN!! you march right back there and buy the rest of them... if they are like that W&B you showed us you can make a few dollars reselling them...

YOUNG MAN!! you march right back there and buy the rest of them... if they are like that W&B you showed us you can make a few dollars reselling them...
Nah, I'm back home in RI. However, I just replied to a PM from Delaware, so hopefully the lead will pan out for him.

My wife, and my sister found a couple in an small shop in GA mtns, just down the street from our little cabin. I'm hoping they go back this weekend and get some pics for me.

If it's near the PA border, pm me the info please. I'll check it out. I live right on the PA/DE border.

And yeah, very nice score for $25 each. I've had a few of those W&B etched razors before, not hugely valuable, but hard to find in that good of condition and definitely worth more than what you paid. The other one I feel you paid a fair price for. The scarring along the spine will clean up with a little work and it'll be a nice shaver.

Last edited:
Interesting- I am in RI too and just got back from the middle of PA where I spent an afternoon hitting all the local antique / consignment / 'collections of old stuff' shops I could find and only ran into two straights. And both of those were so rusty that I didn't want them at any price. It sounds like you had the better trip, at least as far as razors goes.

Brian

Nah, I'm back home in RI. However, I just replied to a PM from Delaware, so hopefully the lead will pan out for him.

Four, including you of course. I just introduced a friend's son to my collection and straight razor shaving last night and sent him off with the words Whipped Dog stuck in his head. We will see if he is really interested or not but I know he is poking around the 'Net a bit looking for info.

Brian

RI, that makes three straight shaver from RI that I know about.

Ended up with a nice Boker Red Injun 101 that I am going to attempt a restore on from this store. The OP got the two most desirable razors from the bunch, I think, but there are some in there that I didn't recognize so I didn't roll the dice on them. My phone battery decided to crap out on me shortly after I walked into the store though so I couldn't even grab pics to reference later for research.
The Boker is very nice, and only needs a little work to make it a beauty I think. The only corrosion on the blade is on the tang between the scales so I may try to unpin it, clean things up and re-pin. The scales are in great shape so I will probably put it back in to stock condition again rather than re-scale.

Top Bottom