What's new

Hey, yous from Winnipeg!

I know that there's at least a 1/2 doz. of yous out there.

As the Peg is the land of ethnic hole-in-the-walls, can any locals point me in the direction of tasty shave goods in real life, outside of the usual chain-store deserts? I've got a couple secrets I could give up too, with a little nudging.

I'm tired of going to Shopper's and seeing that they're trying to palm of a 10-pack of (russian!) gillette super-stanless blades for $15. Are they RETARDED? There's gotta be somewhere in this strange burg of ours that's got the goods.

Cheers!

-L.

Well, I know there's at least one of me. I guess that leaves five more before your estimate is correct. :wink:

While I still haven't had success finding anything useful in the city I did recently come across a tidbit you may find extremely juicy regardless. What would you say if I told you that for a mere two and a half hour drive you could get things from stores that only ship to the States?

Just a few days ago I was talking to one of our suppliers and they mentioned a place in Walhalla, ND by the name of Connie's Depot that you can forward US-based packages to. The only catch is that you have to pick it up yourself. We called them today and it's cheaper than any other option I've found to date; $15USD per pallet. Here is a link with directions to their location. Their phone number is 701-549-3749.

I'm now in the process of trying to build a country-wide list of places that offer this kind of service for cheap. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything else yet, but once I do I'm going to put it all in the wiki. Maybe I should start the article anyway and hope others have stuff. Ah well, that's for another thread.

Edit: If you go there I'd advise taking the Trans-Canada to Oakville and heading south on the 13. There's not a lot of traffic and the speed limit is 100kph.

oh god. so, the advice from the most-visible pegger out there at b&b is to DRIVE TO THE STATES? dear GOD. that's not a terribly good vote of confidence, I must say.

You've never successfully found ANYTHING locally? really?

sigh.

The short answer: no, I haven't.

The long answer: most of the shaving stores that get rave reviews on these boards don't ship outside the US and I think that sucks, so this is my way of compromising and getting to do business with them (and other stores) without spending more than the products are worth on using a mail forwarding service. It's hard enough to find decent wet-shaving products as it is, Winnipeg not exactly being the largest city in Canada makes it even more of a challenge. I felt that I could better use my resources piggy-backing a few of my purchases with some business expenses that will have to go through this service in North Dakota anyway.

If you want to find stuff in Canada then Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto are your best shots due to their one million and up populations. I'd expect an Ikea in the city before we get any decent shaving stuff, but you're more than welcome, I encourage you even, to go out and prove me wrong.

An Ikea in the city? ooh, yeah, that's a depressing indicator. Cross-border pickups are a good idea, but don't make much sense when I have no other reason to go there. Perhaps if i lived in emerson (shudder) i'd get more excited about it, but driving 1.5 hrs to pick up a tin of shaving cream's a bit out of bounds at the moment.

Thanks for all your help! i'll report back when i make some significant discoveries.

I haven't found any decent shaving goods in Winnipeg either. You'd think at least Deluca's would have Proraso- nope, not a chance. So if anybody's got any secrets, please, cough 'em up.

As for picking up in NoDak, I used Menke's. He's cheap and easy to get to. Apparently there is also someone in Pembina. Another option is to have a package shipped to your hotel if you're going to be stateside. I did this when I was in Minneapolis in December. Jim at vintage blades sent my order there, where it was waiting for me when I checked in.

Hey guys,
I did a google search and found an old B&B thread from guys in Winnipeg looking for stuff with no results whatsoever. Here are some of mine: You can get Proraso creams and pre-shave at Shoppers in Osbourne Village. Jack Black products at "Sephora" in Polo Park (I went in with my wife), and the Piece de resistance; Jack Black and e-shave at "Phillip Adam" which is on Lilac Street just off Corydon.
Cheers and please send any info you may have my way.

I am from Winnipeg as well as this city is a disgrace when it comes to shaving stuff. It is either way overpriced or there is no selection.

I can't even find blades for a safety razor. All I see are overpriced cartridge blades from Gillette. Shoppers at least has Proraso and a few nice brushes. Zellers is the all time worst, they have nothing.

Has anyone tried the stores in Polo Park? maybe the Bay or Harry Rosen has something.

Hey guys,
I did a google search and found an old B&B thread from guys in Winnipeg looking for stuff with no results whatsoever. Here are some of mine: You can get Proraso creams and pre-shave at Shoppers in Osbourne Village. Jack Black products at "Sephora" in Polo Park (I went in with my wife), and the Piece de resistance; Jack Black and e-shave at "Phillip Adam" which is on Lilac Street just off Corydon.
Cheers and please send any info you may have my way.

Any place to buy DE blades in this city? One day I have a feeling I will walk into a small family owned grocery store and I will see some blades there. The big stores don't seem to have anything good.

Good luck .. I haven't seen them yet, though I haven't looked *that* hard. I'd suggest ebay, there's a couple sellers that have really good prices and free shipping to Canada.

Hmmm... discouraging. I really want to switch to a DE razor, but if there are no local resources to get blades (or the razor for that matter) that makes it tough. I'd hate to run out of blades and have to wait for an internet order to come in.

Hmmm... discouraging. I really want to switch to a DE razor, but if there are no local resources to get blades (or the razor for that matter) that makes it tough. I'd hate to run out of blades and have to wait for an internet order to come in.

There are lots of places to order blades in bulk off of the internet. You can by 1, 2 or 300 blades at a time for next to nothing. And, if you get involved in this sport as much as many of us are, you will have a half a lifetimes worth of blades in no time.

For other shave related gear you can check out Rasage Poulin in Calgary. Great selection and great service.

I have found nothing except the various soaps, creams and oils at the various Druggers Shop Marts around town. I do order blades on the hinterweb, from Fendrihan in Toronto, and they arrive in a few days without fail. If you are buying in the USA, you can try Menke's parcel service in Neche, or Pembina parcel service in, wait for it, Pembina. Both are excellent, but I only use them when there is no other choice at all. As you say, a long drive and a lot of gas.

Don't know if this thread is still alive, but figured I'd share my 2 cents (and say hello while I'm at it).

I can confirm that Proraso is available at Shopper's. Haven't seen a location that doesn't have it.

Maybe somebody can confirm this, but I hear Portage Meat & Sausage Deli is a hit or miss dealer of Tabac and Spieck, but I have never actually been.

Thomas Hinds on Carlton carries Edwin Jagger Soaps, Truefitt and Hill aswell as Merkur Razors, kinda limited, but its the best ive seen in the city..

Top Bottom