What's new

Pizza

I know we have pizza enthusiasts on this site and I like to try new things, so I'd like to get some new ideas for toppings. I also know there are some pizza threads but I couldn't find anything like what I'm after, just a list of toppings people like to put together. Heck, I figure we can all collaborate and turn this into sort of a makeshift recipe collection. Feel free to add what you like to put on your pizzas or comment on anything I've posted. I'll get the ball rolling...

My most recent creation was served at my birthday party a few days ago; just a quick warning, I don't use tomato sauce as a base for anything. I ended up serving a thin crust 50% whole wheat pizza with butterflied prawns, sun dried tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese served on a base of fresh basil pesto. The prawns were cooked before being put on the pizza, but this step probably could have been skipped. I also found that the sun dried tomatoes tend to add a fair amount of acidity and should be used sparingly, especially with the sourness of the goat cheese. The pesto was pretty oily so I never added any kind of cheese on top for fear of deep-frying the pizza in the oven. The lack of cheese on top does make the toppings move around a bit, but the flavor makes it worth it.

And in the words of Takeshi Kaga... Allez Cuisine! :biggrin:

Just over 2 weeks into my new years resolutions and a pizza thread pops up.

Bad Canadian -BAD, BAD Canadian! :biggrin:

One of our fave "white pizza's" to make at home is an adaptation of a local pizza place's (Figs) signature pizza:

Prociutto
Carmelized onions
Figs (or Fig jam if in a pinch)
Ricotta cheese

There is a fantastic pizza making co-operative in Berkeley (only in Berkeley) that always has some interesting pizza topping combinations. A couple of favorites I remember having there were:

Fresh sweet corn, caramelized onions, and goat cheese. (The fresh corn is REALLY good, although I would only do it on a white pie.)

Thin sliced roasted potato (basically they cut them as potato chip, and then roasted them on the pizza), roasted garlic, fresh rosemary, and goat cheese.

-Mo

I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to pizza. I sincerely believe that chicken or fish are Wrong on a pizza. However... occasionally, I will make something different. Two of my non-traditional faves are:

Feta and Artichoke. I usually do it with a nice red sauce and a small amount of mozzarella, but you can make it a white pizza too.

Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese -- yeah -- sounds really weird, but it's delicious. It's best with a Stilton style blue (creamy, less sharp.). With or without red sauce, leave off the mozzarella on this one.

I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to pizza. I sincerely believe that chicken or fish are Wrong on a pizza. However... occasionally, I will make something different. Two of my non-traditional faves are:

Feta and Artichoke. I usually do it with a nice red sauce and a small amount of mozzarella, but you can make it a white pizza too.

Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese -- yeah -- sounds really weird, but it's delicious. It's best with a Stilton style blue (creamy, less sharp.). With or without red sauce, leave off the mozzarella on this one.

Aha! A traditionalist wouldn't be so quick about the fish statement.

Anchovies rock.

I should know better than get involved in a pizza thread, as I come from a long line of pizza snobs. My great-grandmother Trofimena was making apizza after arriving in New Haven from southern Italy over ninety years ago, and sent my grandfather out in the streets to sell them. To me, it's not about what to add, but what to leave off. Simplicity is key. My favorite, bar none, is what's referred to in New Haven as a plain apizza--just tomato and grated parmesan on a thin crust, no mozz. Done right (meaning at Pepe's or Sally's preferably) it's heaven and causes me unimaginable joy. There's also much to be said for the classic Pizza Margherita (I hope one day to make a pilgrimage to the pizzeria in Naples where Raffaele Esposito invented it). That being said, I have to agree with FriscoSoxFan--anchovies rock. As long as they're decent anchovies, and not some of those pasty things barely holding together in the shape of a fillet.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I should know better than get involved in a pizza thread, as I come from a long line of pizza snobs.

Pffft. I know people who would say that you know nothing about pizza simply because you live in Connecticut. :lol:

Pffft. I know people who would say that you know nothing about pizza simply because you live in Connecticut. :lol:

Oooooh, dem's fightin' words! :biggrin: (I'll try to avoid reopening--yet again--the great Connecticut v. NYC (or anywhere else) pizza debate.)

If you live in Houston, Texas, go to Fuzzy's Pizza. One of my all time favorites. Secondly, go to Star Pizza, a VERY close second, also in Houston.

Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take for this to turn into a "my pizza can kick your pizzas ***" thread. I swear, if someone brings up religion I'm out of here. :tongue:

Thin crust, brushed with garlic-infused olive oil, minimal coating of sauce, thin-sliced real mozz (nothing from a bag, pls) with just a few smatterings of smoked mozz with some fresh (also real, pls) parm. Toppings: pancetta, coppa and oregano (I actually like dried better).

Mm. M-m-mm. 'Scuza me; I've got a date with the kitchen.

Top Bottom