What's new

Anyone have a fave laundry detergent?

The Tide is liquid and the Stirling is powder unscented. It seems to dissolve quite readily and the two kids with the sensitive skin conditions haven't had any reaction to it.

I'm ready for him to get in back in stock. I emailed him a couple weeks ago, and he said that he is looking for a place for his natural ingredients locally, and then he will start making it again. He said about 45 days.

When I can take care of my clothes at home, I just use whatever detergent is available, when I have to hit up the 'hood coin-op, I currently use a combination of dollar-store powder and Oxi-Clean/sodium percarbonate for bleach from the vending machine to reasonable results, although I might try Zote flakes in place of the dollar-store powder and see what results I get...

And speaking of Zote, may have a potentially good $0.97 paintbrush cleaner in the bar form of that for when I pick the watercolors back up again soon.

Last edited:
My wife buys unscented Tide detergent. We're on well water so I throw in Borax with my loads. My wife doesn't bother using Borax in hers. We both use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I've found that whatever soap or detergent I use, putting 20 Mule Team Borax with the wash results in much cleaner clothes.

I've been using baking soda lately. I put about 2 Tbsp. in a cup, mix it with about 12oz. of water, then pour that in the bleach dispenser.

Yes, it gets my clothes cleaner ... but they also seem to get dirty faster, too. I'm not sure why.

Maybe I'll try the Borax route next time I restock on detergent, which should be in a month or so.

Maybe I'll try the Borax route next time I restock on detergent, which should be in a month or so.

Still on well water, but I stopped using Borax. Can't remember why other than it probably ran out and I never replaced it. I still use vinegar in the rinse cycle. My wife now buys Tide Free & Gentle detergent & I just use what she buys because it's there. Being retired, my loads are jeans & t-shirts so it makes no difference what I use cause I'm too old to notice a difference.

We've been using Purex tahitian breeze. It smells great and works better than Tide I'd dare to say. I used to make my own but we've been so busy with our first child. Whew.

Charlie's Laundry Liquid. Cleans REALLY well. I mean get the stink out of a teenage boy's clothes. It isn't the cheapest that you can get. However, because I have teenagers at home I buy it in a 5 gal pail so the price is reasonable. It leaves absolutely no sent or residue so softener isn't necessary. Plus, it's really easy on clothes. I wash my uniforms once or twice every week and I have stuff I've been wearing for 18 months now and is still in good shape.

Charlie's Laundry Liquid. Cleans REALLY well. I mean get the stink out of a teenage boy's clothes. It isn't the cheapest that you can get. However, because I have teenagers at home I buy it in a 5 gal pail so the price is reasonable. It leaves absolutely no sent or residue so softener isn't necessary. Plus, it's really easy on clothes. I wash my uniforms once or twice every week and I have stuff I've been wearing for 18 months now and is still in good shape.

I've never heard of this brand ... where do you find it?

A 5-gallon pail is severe overkill for someone like me. I live alone and do 2 loads of laundry a week. How about a 50oz bottle? That's what I normally buy and it lasts me about 4 months.

But unless it comes in an unscented, fragrance-free version, I won't use it. I don't want my clothes to smell like "Mountain Breeze" or "Desert Wind" or "Lilacs and Lavender" or smell like ANYTHING. I just want them to be clean, and to me, clean means no smell at all.

A 5-gallon pail is severe overkill for someone like me. I live alone and do 2 loads of laundry a week. How about a 50oz bottle? That's what I normally buy and it lasts me about 4 months.

But unless it comes in an unscented, fragrance-free version, I won't use it. I don't want my clothes to smell like "Mountain Breeze" or "Desert Wind" or "Lilacs and Lavender" or smell like ANYTHING. I just want them to be clean, and to me, clean means no smell at all.

It looks like the Home Depot has it in a quart for $10. I think I may go get me a bottle to try as well. We've been using All with decent results.

Amazon sells the 40 load bottle. The 100 load tub of powder is a little cheaper per load. It is unscented and unadulterated. Really a great product.

Top Bottom