What's new

Pre-Shave Recipe?

So I have seen allot of talk out there that people mix their own pre-shave oils. Any one have any recipes? What is safe to ad and was isn't? What can I add that will give my skin a great scent? Any one know where I am going with this?

Any one know where I am going with this?

Only you!

Is I see it, there are three main scenarios:

1. The scent of a given concoction may be wiped away by rinsing. You decide how much time and money you want to spend on such an item.

2. The scent of a given concoction may be replaced by what comes after it. Again, you decide how much time and money you want to spend on such an item.

3. The scent of a certain concoction combines with what comes after it. That can be favorable or not. You may have to carefully design your shaving routine to make sure all the components match.

Where are you going with this, anyway?

Best - MM

I use a 50/50 mixture of castor oil and olive oil. I don't add any scent, because my shaving creams have all the scent I need. The scent would not linger very long any way. If I want a lingering scent, I use an EDT.

I just buy it. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one and it lasts me forever. I guess I just don't feel like making my own. I'll admit I don't use one everytime I shave though. Sometimes I just don't bother.

Musgo Pre-Shave Soap is great. It has a mild lemon/lime smell and does wonders for preparing the beard for the shave. It was pretty cheap ($5 CDN) EBay Classic Shaving Store.

Pre-shave oil scent won't last very long - if you still want to add essential oils to layer on the scent - that's entirely up to you - such as with AOS products...so if you're fav shaving cream is lavender - then add some lavender essential oil

But to make a pre-shave oil you need a carrier/base oil and essential oils (optional)

Use one of the following oils as your base or carrier oil:Olive oil, Coconut oil, Palm oil, Sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil, Sesame oil, Grape seed oil

If you want to use essential oils - add 5-10 drops per ounce of carrier oil - start with 5 drops per ounce of carrier oil - add more if needed - essential oils are very strong and can irritate if you use too much - so better to start with less and build up!

Some popular essential oils are: Lavender, Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Bergamot

I personally only use almond oil - it's unscented and works wonders! I also prefer my cream to provide all the scent and follow up with an unscented ASB (Nivea Soothing ASB)

What I recommend is that you get the base almond oil from Bodyshop or any other similar shop - try and find a spray bottle (I bought one from Muji) - and fill the oil into the spray bottle - this provides you with measured quantities every time you want to use the oil - not too much not too little - one spray should be enough - if I have a short beard - I use two sprays - there's no need to use any more!

hope that helps :001_smile

I use a 50/50 mixture of castor oil and olive oil. I don't add any scent, because my shaving creams have all the scent I need. The scent would not linger very long any way. If I want a lingering scent, I use an EDT.
I use 50-50 castor and grapeseed oil, the grapeseed oil in a little lighter and I dont seem to smell it. At a few drops of any EO( i use patchouli and lavender) and you are set. I have spent over $100 on shave oils and preshave oils and realized what the hell was going on. Even though I will admit that Nancy Boy has an AWESOME preshave oil!

Pre-shave oil scent won't last very long - if you still want to add essential oils to layer on the scent - that's entirely up to you - such as with AOS products...so if you're fav shaving cream is lavender - then add some lavender essential oil

But to make a pre-shave oil you need a carrier/base oil and essential oils (optional)

Use one of the following oils as your base or carrier oil:Olive oil, Coconut oil, Palm oil, Sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil, Sesame oil, Grape seed oil

If you want to use essential oils - add 5-10 drops per ounce of carrier oil - start with 5 drops per ounce of carrier oil - add more if needed - essential oils are very strong and can irritate if you use too much - so better to start with less and build up!

Some popular essential oils are: Lavender, Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Bergamot

I personally only use almond oil - it's unscented and works wonders! I also prefer my cream to provide all the scent and follow up with an unscented ASB (Nivea Soothing ASB)

What I recommend is that you get the base almond oil from Bodyshop or any other similar shop - try and find a spray bottle (I bought one from Muji) - and fill the oil into the spray bottle - this provides you with measured quantities every time you want to use the oil - not too much not too little - one spray should be enough - if I have a short beard - I use two sprays - there's no need to use any more!

hope that helps :001_smile
Absolute best recipe and description of preshave oil I have ever read! Kudos and thanks !

Stupid question, and don 't know where to post so I'll put it here . . . do you use a pre-shave oil as a base for a top layer of lather, or do you wash the pre-shave oil off before applying the lather?

Stupid question, and don 't know where to post so I'll put it here . . . do you use a pre-shave oil as a base for a top layer of lather, or do you wash the pre-shave oil off before applying the lather?

pre-shave oil goes before the lather - when you apply the pre-shave oil, make sure it's onto wet hands onto a wet face - massage it in and coat a nice warm lather on top - enjoy the smooth shave!

I tried the AOS pre-shave oil because they gave me a bunch of samples when I bought my brush. It's very thick (reports are that it's olive and castor oils), and is apparently intended to mate well with their cream, which is really astringent. The cream burned my face so I quit using it, and with other cream I found I was still pretty sticky with oil after a shave. I tried shaving without the PSO and decided I liked having one, just not that particular one -- so I concocted a recipe using less viscous oils.

My recipe is 1oz Jojoba and 1oz almond, with somewhere around eight drops of sweet orange and 20 or so drops of lavender essential oils. It smells nice. I started with about eight drops of each EO (it was very hard to control the droppers -- I was going for five), but decided it needed more lavender. There's no real trick to it, and if you're doing it yourself the ingredients are pretty cheap so you don't have to worry too much if the experiment fails.

Yes. i found grapeseed to be too runny, but 30% castor and 70 olive work great for me. You only need 1 drop.

I've got a bottle of the AoS unscented that I got as a gift...still trying to figure out how to apply it so that it goes on smoothly and evenly...man that stuff is thick!

Gunks up the razor too...not sure if I buy into the whole pre-shave oil routine. Trumpers SF seems to work just fine.

Here's what works for me:

Shower (or no...doesn't really matter).

Wet face with hot water
Trumpers SF
Hot towel for 1-3 minutes
More hot water to rinse of the SF
Apply SS or SC
Shave

I've gotten great results with this technique...a variation of Kyles that takes less time IMHO.

Top Bottom