What's new

Mountain bike hydration pack suggestions

Hey guys,

Im looking to get a hydration pack to use while mountain biking. My rides wont go more then a 2-3 hours and I like to ride with the bare minimum. Im looking for a pack that is small and sleek to carry my pump, spare tube, multi-tool, cliff bar type snack, and water.

Currently im leaning towards the Osprey Viper 5. Any one have any experience with this pack?

As always, Im open to hearing all opinions on packs.

Thanks,

Josh

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You know those old fat guys you hear gasping for air up in front of you before you see them, thats me. :blushing:

Attached to my frame are two water bottles and a pump. I have a small underseat pack that holds my phone, spare tube and some carbs. Most of my rides last less than 2 hours, and I hate carrying a back when I ride.

You know those old fat guys you hear gasping for air up in front of you before you see them, thats me. :blushing:

Attached to my frame are two water bottles and a pump. I have a small underseat pack that holds my phone, spare tube and some carbs. Most of my rides last less than 2 hours, and I hate carrying a back when I ride.

Mike,

Haha, keep on pedaling.

I have thought about the double water bottle set up, but I ride a full suspension bike, and there is no room for a second bottle. Because of this im stuck trying to find a pack.

i use fox pack great value and handy compartments, its been all over the world with me and its always been more than adequate! although I forgot to clean out the reservoir once so I bought a karrimore bladder to replace it... I prefer this combo to the camelbacks ive had in the past!

And one more for the Camelbak...I have the "Mule" which holds a bladder plus enough room for some odds and ends, change of clothes or what have you, and it's still really small. Love it.
Mine is an older model but looks like the same design.
proxy.php

Just a quick update:

I went with the Osprey Viper 5. I could not be happier. The back is awesome. Im two rides in with it and have yet to find a flaw. Highly recommended.

I have many Osprey packs (2 for mountain biking depending on length of ride/trip and time of year, one for snowboarding, one for winter/alpine mountaineering, one for the laptop, one for backpacking, another for day hikes... OBAD), and I frequently use and enjoy them all. Quality products, for sure. Enjoy the Viper.

-Andy

You can't beat a CamelBak.
+1 although my work issues them for free...I've always wanted to try the Osprey but can't bring myself to spend money on something I already have still in working order. The reviews on MTBR.com for the Osprey packs are usually favorable.

About how much weight do hydration packs like these add? I'm still too nervous to grab a bottle while I ride, so anytime I need a drink, I have to stop and get off my bike. But I also don't want to add a lot of weight (I add enough of that on my own).

$bigfoot.jpg

About how much weight do hydration packs like these add? I'm still too nervous to grab a bottle while I ride, so anytime I need a drink, I have to stop and get off my bike. But I also don't want to add a lot of weight (I add enough of that on my own).
The packs themselves dont weigh a ton, its what you put in them that adds weight. Water is heavy, tools are heavy, etc. If you're doing a short ride, you can get away with less water. You dont need to fill the bladder all the way.

Personally, I dont like hydration packs. The weight on my back is not comfortable, and is worse if you have an aggressive riding position. Also, It's hot wearing one in the summer months. I do use one very occaisionally if I'm riding long MTB rides - usually 3 hours is the threshold where I'd personally consider wearing one. For anything under that, I use two bottles and carry tools/tubes/food in my jersey pockets or in a bag under the saddle.

View attachment 593091

The packs themselves dont weigh a ton, its what you put in them that adds weight. Water is heavy, tools are heavy, etc. If you're doing a short ride, you can get away with less water. You dont need to fill the bladder all the way.

Personally, I dont like hydration packs. The weight on my back is not comfortable, and is worse if you have an aggressive riding position. Also, It's hot wearing one in the summer months. I do use one very occaisionally if I'm riding long MTB rides - usually 3 hours is the threshold where I'd personally consider wearing one. For anything under that, I use two bottles and carry tools/tubes/food in my jersey pockets or in a bag under the saddle.

I guess, one could always just bring along a canteen, right? :lol:

Top Bottom