What's new

Old blade bank

I was at an antique mall today, and a lady showed me a Listerine razor blade bank. It was white (porceline?) with a black base. I couldn't see where the base would separate. The bottom said Listerine Blade Bank Listerine Shave Cream or something very near to that. They wanted $18.00 for it. Has anyone seen one of these before? Any idea on the value? It looked to be in good condition. No chips or cracks that I could see.
The only other blade banks I've known about were those at Lee's (I think Lee's) and the slit in the side of old medicine cabinets.

Kevin

I was at an antique mall today, and a lady showed me a Listerine razor blade bank. It was white (porceline?) with a black base. I couldn't see where the base would separate. The bottom said Listerine Blade Bank Listerine Shave Cream or something very near to that. They wanted $18.00 for it. Has anyone seen one of these before? Any idea on the value? It looked to be in good condition. No chips or cracks that I could see.
The only other blade banks I've known about were those at Lee's (I think Lee's) and the slit in the side of old medicine cabinets.

Kevin

If it's like mine it's an Art Deco frog. No, the base doesn't come off. It was meant to be thrown away when full. :eek:

Did it look like this one? (Crummy pictures. The guy never shot the front of the frog)
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ART-DEC...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Nice little item to add to your collection but I would advise against actually using it.

Yep, looks just like that one. It's unique enough that I just may have to go back and pick it up. I'm not wild about the price, though.

Kevin

Yep, looks just like that one. It's unique enough that I just may have to go back and pick it up. I'm not wild about the price, though.

Kevin

Yeah but it's cool. At some antique malls you can negotiate the price. I'd pay $10 to $12 for one.

That's what I was thinking, about $12.00. the tag on it said $22.00!!!The lady sitting at the desk said the owner would take 25% off, which would still be $16.50. Yeah, I'll offer $12 and see what happens.
You are right, it is really cool looking. Hmmmmm.
Kevin

Let us know how it works out. I love old shaving stuff. I'm not a fan of old shaving brushes but old razors, mugs, blade banks - cool stuff and surprisingly hard to find. Guess a lot of it just got trashed.

Top Bottom