What's new

Like GEM single edge razors?

I see a lot of raving about DE and injector razors. How about some of the old classic single edge razors like the GEMs and Ever-readys? GEM still makes blades in 5 or 10 packs, and I get a terrific shave with them.

I see a lot of raving about DE and injector razors. How about some of the old classic single edge razors like the GEMs and Ever-readys? GEM still makes blades in 5 or 10 packs, and I get a terrific shave with them.

Closer, cleaner, more gentle shave than a Slant. Although they can look intimidating (particularly the 1912 and earlier models...) they are a wonderful shaver and provide an easy, comfortable, BBS shave. They are a 'poor mans' straight. Overlooked by most, they go begging at eBay where NOS or mint GEM razors can be had for $10 or less.

These are *THE* answer for the guy who has a really difficult time getting a clean, comfortable shave on the throat/lower neck. The GEM provides a BBS shave without irritation at that area.

Recommended.

-- John Gehman

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one speaking for these antique beauties. I can't believe how space-age the shaving heads on the GEM razors look even though they're ancient. The way they open, shut, and hold the blade is also fabulously engineered. As for the shave - I think it beats my 1920's Gillette DE any day.

I also like the Gems and rotate them along with my vintage Gillettes. My favorite Gem is the Featherweight (ivory colored plastic handle). Very nice shaver. Haven't had good results with the Micromatic. I recently bought a G-bar and will be trying it soon.

Used an Ever-Ready today with a PAL single edge for the 1st time. A little nervous at first, but there was nothing to it. Clean close shave. Had a different feel to it than the Gillettes and Merkur, could feel the edge a little more, but took fewer passes.

I have tried the GEM G-bar and push button - both sweeeet :o16:. I haven't tried the Micromatics, nor the older style GEMs or Every-Ready's yet, but I'm getting around to it! I don't have a Featherweight, but with Rich's comment I believe I'll have to be on the prowl for one.

The GEM G-Bar is my favorite safety razor, by a pretty wide margin. The DE blades are too thin and flimsy for me... the SE blade is much more solid. ATG on the neck is a breeze with the GEM.

Drew

Got my Micromatic at an estate sale for a buck, works great but need to get some better blades than the cvs ones.

Got my Micromatic at an estate sale for a buck, works great but need to get some better blades than the cvs ones.

I will have to check out the CVS and see if they have the blades. Would you folks offer some suggestions for other places to acquire the single edge blades that are "shave quality" (not box cutters)?

Thanks to all that contribute to this question.

I can't say enough about the GEM. They have fascinated me ever since I started WS and finally got one off the Bay. It shaved wonderfully. I use to dig my slant, but now, after discovering the GEM, I hardly use it very often.

Out of my 10 razors, three of them are GEMs. My G-bar rocks. My shaves are so wonderful, so close and so smooth. It's perfect to get up into those hard to reach places like below your nose.

Why these things just languish on e-bay is a complete mystery to me.

I used a G-bar before, and didn't care for it. This thread convinced me to give the Featherweight a try. It cut my face up on my sideburn area going ATG. I don't know how. It didn't even cut the hairs. I was struggling with my first two passes, but that made me put it down and reach for my Slim.

I still have one Gem left to try, but it probably won't be anytime soon.

Top Bottom