What's new

Leatherman or Gerber

I have an original Leatherman PST that's probably 20 years old. I've beaten the thing to a pulp and it still looks and functions like new. Other than putting a new edge on the knife once in a while, it's never needed anything replaced.

Big fan of the Gerber Suspension, but my next one felt cheap and I didn't like the design. The blades were on the inside, but the pliers slide forward instead of folding out. This means that to deploy any of the tools, the pliers must first be deployed, then the handles opened, then the blade deployed, then the pliers retracted. I hated that thing.

My boss gave me a Leatherman Surge and I love it, especially the micro screwdriver bits that are great for communications equipment.

SOG Powerlock EOD. It's a big burly hunk of Stainless, with heavy duty compound leverage jaws. I have abused mine quite a bit, and it still functions the same as the day i bought it. I do have to admit that the leatherman has a nicer can-opener. I have been meaning to try and hybrid it into the SOG.

I Hike and camp, visit junkyards frequently, work on cars, work on houses, and my full time job is an Electrician. I really have beat the crap out of the SOG, in a large variety of situations, climates, and chemicals. It is the only multi-tool I havn't broken, and the only one i have complete faith in. Gerbers are junk, Leathermans are innovative, but just don't take the abuse a SOG can.
http://www.sogknives.com/powerlock-satin.html

I got my sog for 40 bucks new, i got all my friends to get them as well. It's fantastic if you don't mind a chunk of steel on your person.

I've gotta give it to Leatherman, the Super Tool I have one that my dad had for 10+ years and now I use it all the time. Works flawless

This man wins the interwebs for the day! I'm an electrician and carry the same tool and I've had them all at one point or another. The SOG is the ONE....

Leatherman better quality and ingenuity. I still have my multi tool knife that i received as a B day gift from my Sis.

venkyle we need a poll here, the score so far
Leatherman 26
Gerber 8
SOG 3
Swiss Tool 5
Buck Pen knife 1 ( its not a multi tool, go to the pocket knives thread.)

The Canadian Army gave up on Gerber and started issuing the SOG tool. I broke something like 4 Gerbers. I found the metal to be too light weight. I like the SOG tool but I think the leatherman beats it.

Neither. I've got a number of Leatherman multi tools...no Gerbers....but I've handled them.

Best multi tool on the market IMHO....the Swiss Tool by Victorinox. A bit heavy, but well crafted and strong as bull.

Neither. I've got a number of Leatherman multi tools...no Gerbers....but I've handled them.

Best multi tool on the market IMHO....the Swiss Tool by Victorinox. A bit heavy, but well crafted and strong as bull.

I see I've repeated myself....but I had too. The Swiss Tool is that good !!

Top Bottom