What's new

Hate to admit this, but.

The fusion is an excellent cart thats for sure. However its so expensive and takes the fun out of shaving. Not to mention that I can notice the carts degrade after 2-3 shaves, and it gets to a point were it just becomes really annoying to shave with. I'd rather shave with 1-2 times super sharp blade, and toss it for a fresh one.

This.

You can get an awesome shave from a fusion for sure. Costs you plenty though.

The problem I had with my Gillette Fusion Power razors and blade cartridges wasn't that I couldn't get a great BBS shave with them, it was the fact that the cartridges were costing me nearly $4 apiece and I was only getting 3-4 decent shaves from one. The day I realized I was spending $350 a year on blades alone was the day I decided to go back to using a safety razor!

When I switched, it was because I was paying a lot and I wasn't getting good shaves. I think the latter has been solved with all that I have learned from a DE. The former is still an issue. The reason why this is so tough is because this was one of the best shaves I have ever had. However, I have the feeling that the people saying that those types of shaves are inconsistent with a cart would be applicable to me if used everyday. I'm going to stick with my DE, but I think I will throw in my fusion on occasion every now and again for variety. Hopefully I can do it just enough to get the same result when it gets mixed in.

I probably could get bbs with a Fusion, but I never did more than one pass with touchup with a cartridge.

Same as above. Will get fine shaves out of carts but irritation and ingrowns and pimples after a few days. Not worth it for the on again off again irritation.

I shaved exclusively with a Merkur DE for 4 years after making the switch to old-school wet shaving. A couple of months ago, on a whim, I decided to try a Mach 3. I was blown away. I get a much better shave in every conceivable way with the Mach 3 - hands down. Much closer, smoother, no problem with ingrowns, much easier. Plus, I can easily get a full 2 weeks, maybe 3 with a Mach 3 before I notice any drop-off in performance. I love the nostalgia part of the DE, but the new technology is simply better. I still have a strong preference for lathering fine soaps and creams with a brush as opposed to squirting foam from a can, and I enjoy the ritual as much as ever.

Top Bottom