What's new

You know you are entering The South when.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Who doesn't use mustard? Of course, being that we're in the south, the burger is probably stuffed with at least 3 types of cheese, deep fried and topped with bacon.

One of the best burgers around here has swiss, american, cheddar, and bleu cheese, bacon, and the patty is 80/20 ground beef & sausage. Add lettuce, come back sauce, mayo, serve with a side of fresh cut fries and a large tea (sweet of course).

Y'all have posted some pretty impressive signs, folks. That said, It think this little gem (found I-65 just north of my beloved hometown of Montgomery, AL) takes the cake.

$GotoChurchORtheDevilwillGetyou.jpg

The people here in the south are truly polite folks, and no it isn't just pretend, that is, unless you are one of those pushy bigoted northerners who thinks that all southerners are stupid. Almost everything is slower and quieter here - except for the vehicles. The iced tea is sweet and so are the girls. Grits are eaten with butter - not cream & sugar. BBQ is not boiled - crawfish are. Folks here are not dumb - but they are honest. You can say just about anything you want to about someone - as long as you add "Bless his/her little heart..." to it... Whataburger is the best burger on the planet - Hardees/Carl's Jr. can't touch it. Smoked brisket done right is the food of the gods. Jalapenos should be a part of every meal. Camouflage is a color.

If you don't like God, guns, grits, gumbo, hunting, fishing, sweet tea and politeness - just stay up there where you are. We're doing fine without you - bless your little heart...

+1 Yee..Haw!

what else would you put on your burger?

Ketchup or Mayo, I don't know a single person who lives in the north that puts mustard on a burger. I lived in Florida for a bit, it's not something I ever got used to, and of course i would always forget to say hold the mustard if i was at McDonalds or something. I guess it's one of those regional food differences like soda/pop/coke.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ketchup or Mayo, I don't know a single person who lives in the north that puts mustard on a burger. I lived in Florida for a bit, it's not something I ever got used to, and of course i would always forget to say hold the mustard if i was at McDonalds or something. I guess it's one of those regional food differences like soda/pop/coke.
maybe that's a NY thing. or East coast thing. Everyone I know in IL puts mustard on their burgers, including me.

Waffle House is kinda South... perhaps more the lack of them in the old Union.
I've stopped at one or two in Arizona and Colorado.

My memories of my two road trips through Texas from El Paso to Austin....
Roll into a little town, and every one of them...

Church... Sonic... Church... 76...Church... Dollar General... Church... City Hall... Church... Gun shop...Church... Chevron...Church... Feed & Tack... Church.

I haven't actually been South myself but have done a Waffle House in Arizona.
But to complete the phrase, the thing that immediately came to mind was "There are little bits of sausage in the biscuit gravy."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Here is an interesting article about linguistic differences in America. It shows how each region says different words and phrases and a lot of them go with what was mentioned about entering the south.

proxy.php

Heck, I always thought all Americans called them "sneakers" ... we call them "running shoes" up here.

Living just outside of New Orleans currently and inside the city for most of my life (a few years in texas as well, not what i would really call a southern place) there are certain things about living in the south I love, crawfish boils and fried soft shell crabs being two of the best foods to happen I think. Gumbo, BBQ shrimp and no they're a not actually bbq'd, it's all in the sauce, buttermilk biscuits made with bacon fat. I could go on and on. There is some good BBQ around but it doesn't adhere to strict rules like you will find in other well known BBQ states. Other great things are just the outdoors. Simple fun exploring in a canoe or kayak. Fishing trips, squirrel hunting, frog gigging, if you want to do it outside you can hehe. I love it down here, there's a party for anything and everything you can think of to top it all off hehe.

maybe that's a NY thing. or East coast thing. Everyone I know in IL puts mustard on their burgers, including me.

Same here. Mustard, ketchup, mayo, pickles, lettuce, cheese. I don't care for onions on my burgers. A SMALL amount of grilled onions are okay, but I don't like an uncooked ring, and normally, when you get something with grilled onions, it's smothered and I don't like that. I want to taste the beef more than the onions, and beef is easy to overpower.

Heck, I always thought all Americans called them "sneakers" ... we call them "running shoes" up here.

I'm sure "running shoes" explains the lighter areas in most of the country.
"Tennis shoes" or "Tennies" is the predominant generic, but next most common would be "Running", with a distant 3rd being "Athletic"
I haven't heard anyone say "Gymshoes" in 35 years.

Love the little Snowbird enclave in South Florida :biggrin:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I haven't heard anyone say "Gymshoes" in 35 years.

Ever hear of "gym strip"? Back when I was in school (70s/80s) that was how everyone referred to the clothing you changed into for gym class ... t-shirt, shorts, running shoes. I'd be curious to know if the term is still popular in the schools now, but ... somehow I suspect me hanging out in the change rooms at the local schools would not go over well ...

Ever hear of "gym strip"? Back when I was in school (70s/80s) that was how everyone referred to the clothing you changed into for gym class ... t-shirt, shorts, running shoes. I'd be curious to know if the term is still popular in the schools now, but ... somehow I suspect me hanging out in the change rooms at the local schools would not go over well ...

Never heard that term here on SoCal. I graduated HS in '81, so unless it's something that started after that, I'd say it's more regional.
We had "PE" or "Gym", but that was it... rarely any other references to "Gym" other than adults going to a health club.

Top Bottom