Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: You know you are entering The South when.

Quote Originally Posted by one cut View Post
    The look on his face says it all. "No big deal..."
    Problem Solved, Problem Staying Solved!
    S.O.T.M.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Early Morning View Post
    When I meet people, they are not usually from the local area, and most of the southerners I encounter no longer have any discernible accent. I am more likely to hear someone from Ohio or Indiana put on a southern accent. Other than that, traditional southern culture is disappearing. Fewer people go to church, fewer people know traditional southern cooking, and fewer people engage in traditional southern pastimes.

My perspective might be a little skewed. I lived outside of the south for about 25 years, then moved back, and the area I am living in has had a higher influx of transplants than most other parts of the South. Either way, I am fine with it, but it is considerably different than it was 25-30 years ago.
    We recently moved into a new subdivision and I mentioned to my wife that it was odd that after a month or so we had only one neighbor come over and welcome us to the neighborhood. When we did see people outside, they didn't appear to be overly friendly for the most part, either. Turns out that most of the people in here are from up north, moved here for a very large steel mill that was built a couple of years ago. Our subdivision has the name "Charleston" in it, but it appears it should have been named after Cleveland or Philadelphia instead.

Originally Posted by California Cajun When you dehydrate on a summer day. I'm originally from California and the South Louisiana humidity is something else!
    I see you are in DeRidder. If you think that's humid, go south to the real Cajun country, like Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Morgan City, or south of New Orleans, That's where the real humidity is. I am originally from N Louisiana ( W Monroe) and now live in E Texas and complain about humidity, until I go back down there during the summer.
    Regards,

Jeff

Good: Chicken Fried Steak, Biscuits & Gravy, BBQ (pork & beef), Chili, Mexican food (at least in Texas and New Mexico).

You hear: "Good Morning", "Hey", "Yes Sir", "Yes Ma'am", "Let me get that door for you"......

Folks wave at you on the road.

Folks will pull over to let you pass on the road.

It is OK to wear camouflage everywhere....and it makes folks feel safe, not nervous.

Y'all have a great day!

Last edited by Bobcat; 08-21-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Folks wave at you on the road.
    That's very true. When I lived in the south (20 miles east of Nashville) the amount of waving I did was like a work out . Not so much while driving, but I'd sit on my front porch A LOT and random cars driving by would wave like they knew me as did I in return.

Having lived most my life in the north (40 miles west of Chicago) the most common thing is just to stare at people as they drive by like you've never seen another human being before.

Only a few days after I moved back north I was riding down the rode and the habit of waving was still with me. I passed a house with quite a few folks hanging out front and I noticed one lady was watching me ride by so I waved. After I waved everyone around her turned to look at me like I dropped a bomb out of my window....not one wave in return.

I read somewhere that accents are always something that every one else ​has.

[QUOTE=turtle;5121062]Nobody has mentioned the fireflies yet. Surprised about that one

Did you mean to say lightning bugs? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post

[top]J.C. Strobel, "Call it!"
    Me : I'll take a Pimento burger a plenty please :D :D and Sweet.

[top]

Southern women sterotyped:

Images

Wow! Some of those were just spot on! In New Orleans, however, we use Blue Plate mayonnaise. And you can tell the difference.
    Jessy - Mess Hall Steward - Permanent Member of the Cleaning Crew - Sabbatical Troll
    New Member? Introduce Yourself!
    Let the RecipeWiki inspire your next meal! Let us know What's Cookin'?
    Check out my USER WIKI! And create YOUR OWN!
    B&B Glossary|Post a Review|TheShaveWiki is awesome!|Pens will be your doom

Images

[QUOTE=silverpanther;5383444]
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the fireflies yet. Surprised about that one

Did you mean to say lightning bugs? :)
    Funny, haven't seen a firefly since I moved to Texas, but used to see them all the time in Ohio. Of course, here I live in a big city, and lived in the country for a lot of my time in Ohio.
    Owen- I did the Time Warp again.

Quote Originally Posted by jzuzphreek View Post
    Wow! Some of those were just spot on! In New Orleans, however, we use Blue Plate mayonnaise. And you can tell the difference.
    and I think most people say "tighter than a tick."

Images

Exclamation

You know you're in the South when...;

During Spring & Summer...you have to fight off the man-made scourge and bane to all vehicles on the road...the dreaded Love-Bug.
    Urban legend has it love-bugs are synthetic—the result of a University of Florida genetics experiment gone wrong...just folklore mind you.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug#cite_note-leppla-3

How to combat this particular auto pest? What I do is when traveling, as soon as I reach my destination...straight to the car (self), wash!

The Mrs. told me she heard that applying car wax to the entire front (minus windshield), end (don't forget the mirrors), and letting it dry before you depart (long distance

driving), will protect your car form all matter of flying bugs.

Just spray it off at your destination.

I tried the Mrs. advice when I drove from Fort Drum, NY to my birth town of East Lansing, MI...and it worked like a charm!

"The South is more than a region...it’s a state of mind, and Southerners seem forever returning there". The Book of Southern Wisdom
    Last edited by The Count of Merkur Cristo; 09-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

For me... I find I've entered the south when I started to see signs telling me how far it is to Vancouver and Seattle in kilometres and miles.
    Justin -- AOM || BOTOC
    Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    For me... I find I've entered the south when I started to see signs telling me how far it is to Vancouver and Seattle in kilometres and miles.
    Ha! You know you're in the south when you've crossed the US/Canadian border eh?
    Jessy - Mess Hall Steward - Permanent Member of the Cleaning Crew - Sabbatical Troll

Quote Originally Posted by jzuzphreek View Post
    Ha! You know you're in the south when you've crossed the US/Canadian border eh?
    Well a bit north of the border, if you ever visit Vancouver then go north to see the rest of BC you will see what I mean. Those lowermainland types... they are an odd bunch.
    Justin -- AOM || BOTOC
    Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again.

When the barbecue tastes tangy and spicy rather than sweet.
    "The blood stays on the blade" -Liam Neeson - Gangs Of New York. BOTOC COLD

Images

when you can start a story with " this one time me and my cousin..."
    double points If the story involves a shot gun or you went to prom together.

Speaking of witch this one time when I was in high school, I went to prom with my Westchester cousin...

Images

Speaking of witch this one time when I was in high school, I went to prom with my Westchester cousin...
    On a forum full of gentlemen and gentle ladies alike, I thank you for being as offensive as possible.
    "Life's too short for good handwriting." -Dad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolYoungin View Post
    On a forum full of gentlemen and gentle ladies alike, I thank you for being as offensive as possible.