What's new

Acquisitions Monday July 3rd - Sunday July 9th

S

Sam

Bruno: I have not gotten Chubby yet. I did however get the Plisson Black badger hair with Black handle pictured below in today's mail, size 12 by the way.

S

Sam

Oops, here are pics of the brush I obtained last week, a Salters brush which is perhaps Rooney made?

boboakalfb said:
L'Occitane Cade Shave Soap
L'Occitane Cade ASB
L'Occitane Cade Shower Gel

First shave with the soap and asb were superb...left my skin feeling great.
Hey Bob,
One of my favorites. Did you splurge on the nickel shave bowl with the soap? It is nice too..

Sam said:
Bruno: I have not gotten Chubby yet. I did however get the Plisson Black badger hair with Black handle pictured below in today's mail, size 12 by the way.
Congrats Sam,
I bet that badboy will be able to scrub up floor soap into a lather..

guenron said:
Hey Bob,
One of my favorites. Did you splurge on the nickel shave bowl with the soap? It is nice too..

I did...SWMBO liked the look of it so it is presented on our Vanity next to the razor/brush stand.

I just noticed that the L'Occitane ASB is on sale right now so maybe I should pick up a tube of that with the Vetyver and Eau du Badian EDT's.

Sam said:

That is a nice brush Sam, I'm still waiting on my Plisson, it must be close to 2 months now.:mellow:
I think that Salter's brush might be made by Rooney, it also looks like the one that Tones sells. How is it with soaps by the way?

Bruno

boboakalfb said:
I did...SWMBO liked the look of it so it is presented on our Vanity next to the razor/brush stand.

I just noticed that the L'Occitane ASB is on sale right now so maybe I should pick up a tube of that with the Vetyver and Eau du Badian EDT's.
Good woman. Take care of that one, she's a keeper! It too (the L'Occitan ASB) is very nice. Slightly different fragrance (somewhat more redolent) than the CADE ASB, excellent moisturizing ability too. I like them both. Just noted, old Monsieur Baussan must be feeling his oats as they recently elevated the prices to $40 for the members of the men's fragrance line.

guenron said:
Good woman. Take care of that one, she's a keeper! It too (the L'Occitan ASB) is very nice. Slightly different fragrance (somewhat more redolent) than the CADE ASB, excellent moisturizing ability too. I like them both. Just noted, old Monsieur Baussan must be feeling his oats as they recently elevated the prices to $40 for the members of the men's fragrance line.

She definitely is a keeper...we are going to Las Vegas for 4 days at the beginning of August and she suggested we go to T&H so that I can be pampered. Not sure how I will do at the tables, but I have a feeling I will be losing some money in that establishment...at least I will be walking out with something to show for it. :001_smile

S

Sam

Bruno: The Salters brush is something that opened my eyes. Previously I had a Kent BK8 that I sold after getting SMF1, because the Kent really splayed. That was the only thing I had against the Kent. I was lathering and the brush opened up so much that it just was the inside of the brush lathering; contrast that with the Shavemac where the tips really hold the cream and it opens up but just hardly.

At first I was put off by the tall handle. Yet that handle makes it so easy to lather and especially in a latte cup. So I got some of those Ziplock SnapnSeal bowls and turned a cake upside down with the flat side down. The Salter brush made a nice lather and I went to the face, and it opened up like a Kent. But here is the kicker: I was getting that rich creamy lather from soaps which I had with the Kent and which are not as easy to generate, for me at least, with the Shavemacs. Now, I tried the SMF1 in a bowl and still the Salter brush kicked its rear on generated a creamier lather.

So I am flummoxed (SIC?). I do not know if the Salter brush works because it does splay - it opens up, gets more soap in the middle of the brush and can get the air and water to interplay. I know some say that a stiffer bristle will pick up more soap, so the black badger hair should quailify. Since Shavemacs and Plissons are said to be similarly shaped, I can test that theory.

I am now reacquiring soaps since the brush works so well. I still like how the Shavemac feels against the face as it sorta sucks it, but the Salter/Kent variety does not feel bad. I mean it is so soft and the lather is generated very well.

Sam

Tabac shaving soap
Tabac a/s lotion
Nivea shave cream
Palmolive shave cream
De Verguilde Hand a/s balm
De Vergulde Hand shave cream
Van Gils Basic Instinct EDT

Sam said:
Bruno: The Salters brush is something that opened my eyes. Previously I had a Kent BK8 that I sold after getting SMF1, because the Kent really splayed. That was the only thing I had against the Kent. I was lathering and the brush opened up so much that it just was the inside of the brush lathering; contrast that with the Shavemac where the tips really hold the cream and it opens up but just hardly.

At first I was put off by the tall handle. Yet that handle makes it so easy to lather and especially in a latte cup. So I got some of those Ziplock SnapnSeal bowls and turned a cake upside down with the flat side down. The Salter brush made a nice lather and I went to the face, and it opened up like a Kent. But here is the kicker: I was getting that rich creamy lather from soaps which I had with the Kent and which are not as easy to generate, for me at least, with the Shavemacs. Now, I tried the SMF1 in a bowl and still the Salter brush kicked its rear on generated a creamier lather.

So I am flummoxed (SIC?). I do not know if the Salter brush works because it does splay - it opens up, gets more soap in the middle of the brush and can get the air and water to interplay. I know some say that a stiffer bristle will pick up more soap, so the black badger hair should quailify. Since Shavemacs and Plissons are said to be similarly shaped, I can test that theory.

I am now reacquiring soaps since the brush works so well. I still like how the Shavemac feels against the face as it sorta sucks it, but the Salter/Kent variety does not feel bad. I mean it is so soft and the lather is generated very well.

Sam

Hey sam, I love the handle on that salter brush, is it the same as the TBS ones on Ebay? if not where did you purchase yours? Cheers, DJ.

S

Sam

It looks the same but the box said Salters. I think TGS carried them a while back

Sam

Here's my score from Desistores--the shipping was obscene, but I wanted to try the Palmolive. . .

Yardley Gold shave cream
Yardley Gold after shave
Palmolive Refreshing Lemon shave cream
Goorej Lime Fresh shave cream
Fa Oceanic shave cream

Suzuki said:
Tabac shaving soap
Tabac a/s lotion
Nivea shave cream
Palmolive shave cream
De Verguilde Hand a/s balm
De Vergulde Hand shave cream
Van Gils Basic Instinct EDT

Cool are you from the Netherlands or since Verguldehand I would not think it would lie in us stores.
I deleted my stoopid post before I wasnt so awake thought I was in SOTD ..oh..the tropical heat...

Just ordered the entire Arko line from Tulumba (EXCELLENT customer service, BTW. Ordered last night at 11:00pm, sent them an email this morning correcting the address, and it still sent out today! I will definitely order from them next time I need to buy some Turkish products).

Anyway, I know that the Arko gets mixed reviews here (everwhere from AMAZING to HORRIBLE), but I'm the kind of guy who likes the cheap underdog, and I wanted to try it. And, at $2 a pop for the creams and a dollar a piece for the shave sticks, it's easy to add stuff to your basket really quickly! Total came to under $20 with shipping, so I can't complain too much.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting: 1) my Mama Bear soaps, 2) some MB soap that I'm trading with another fellow, and 3) my Arko!

Waiting is so hard...

Daniel, I'm probably Arko's biggest supporter, :lol: but I always keep an open mind. Yes, Tulumba does give excellent service, and Arko is cheap, but terrific stuff. I especially enjoy the soap sticks, and their "Cool" and "Commando" creams, as well as their "Sensitive" cream. One thing about these creams is, they give lather which is very similar to Palmolive.

Jeff

Yeah, Jeff, you were the one who's amazing reviews I kept reading. They should be giving you a cut! I actually ordered one of everything: regular, commando, cool, sensitive, 2 sticks, and something else, I thought. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I just gotta stop hitting "refresh" on the UPS tracking page I have open at work.

mrob said:
Here's my score from Desistores--the shipping was obscene, but I wanted to try the Palmolive. . .

Yardley Gold shave cream
Yardley Gold after shave
Palmolive Refreshing Lemon shave cream
Goorej Lime Fresh shave cream
Fa Oceanic shave cream
MAN am I jealous. I've been toying with the idea of making a very similar order and have even been as far as having my shopping cart full before backing out. Please keep us updated on your thoughts of each product as you get the chance to use them.

Mitch,

I'm wondering why you didn't pick up any of the Old Spice shaving cream?

Kyle, I've done the same thing many times.

Randy

I got home from work today and the little lady had a
1964 Thin Handle Gold Gillette Adjustable waiting for me.
She found it at a local antique store for $3 :w00t: in MINT condition.

I love her!

---

This past weekend I bought Tabac EDT (3.4 oz) at a local perfume retailer.
Not as good of a bargain compared to the 10 oz version, but it's nice to know I can get it locally.

Dave