What's new

Margarita Ingredients

Ok, so I am wanting to put together a margarita kit for someone who really loves them, as a gift. I need some advice on ingredients. Mainly the alcohol.

First Tequila - what kind? I know there is a separate tequila thread, but it seems mostly focused on sipping, so I want advice specifically tuned to margaritas. Do you prefer anejo? Blanco? And why? Also, even though it is part of a margarita kit, it is for someone who really loves tequila straight too, so I want it to be a good sipping beverage as a very important secondary goal.

Second - orange liqueur. Cointreu and Grand Marnier seem to be the ones of choice for spiffy margaritas. Preferences? Other suggestions?

Anything I'm forgetting? (Yeah, limes, I know.)

-Mo

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well....heres what you could do....at least what I did when i made Margaritas when I bartended.

1 Shot of Tequila...usually Cuervo Gold
1/2 shot of Grand Marnier
Lime Juice
Simple Syrup
Sweet and Sour

Sweet and Sour Mix is your base....lime juice and Simple Syrup are kinda to taste..dont have any real measurements to tell you. If you want to get fancy...add a 1/2 shot of Amaretto.....Itallian Margarita....MMMmmmm

I'd use 100% Agave Tequila, but not top shelf. Sauza Horinitos or Cuervo Tradicional both work nicely. I like Blanco Tequila (or at most reposado) for this purpose.

I like Grand Marnier for the orange liquer.

Limes, I'd use key limes.

And whatever you do, DO NOT use sweet and sour. If you want some sweetness add simple syrup or superfine sugar to the lime juice.

I like:

Cheap Tequila
Fresh Lime Juice (frozen Lime-ade will do)
Orange Curacao
Ice

No need to waste the dough on Good Tequila, IMO.

I enjoy a good Margarita....:biggrin:

proxy.php

Did I mention I do want a fairly top shelf tequila, even if it may be slightly wasted on the margarita, for dual purpose reasons? As this is a gift for a real tequila fan.....

-Mo

You did.
and I prefaced my post with......."not neccessarily for your friend"

But if you want a recommendation, I like Cazadores

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For margaritas, you want that fresh, crisp taste that comes from a blanco. Save the reposados and anejos for sipping. You don't have to go crazy pricewise, as it's going to be blended with sugar and lime. Cointreau is my choice for the triple sec portion.

This is from the Old Mr. Boston Bartender's Guide and Patrick Gavin Duffy's Bartender's Guide both older than me (64): 1 1/2 oz. Tequila, 1/2 oz. Triple Sec, juice of 1/2 lemon or lime (in Mexico lemons R rare, limes ain't). I always use a Blanco/Silver 100% Agave Tequila and no salt ever; even as a shooter but I would consider a beer as a chaser.

Salud amigos!

Richard

I'd use 100% Agave Tequila, but not top shelf. Sauza Horinitos or Cuervo Tradicional both work nicely. I like Blanco Tequila (or at most reposado) for this purpose.

I like Grand Marnier for the orange liquer.

Limes, I'd use key limes.

And whatever you do, DO NOT use sweet and sour. If you want some sweetness add simple syrup or superfine sugar to the lime juice.

Agreed...usually I use Hornitos for margaritas. Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice and some simple syrup and you are good to go.

If I want to top shelf it a bit I will usually use Corralejo Reposado.

I'd add that Gran Gala makes a wonderful substitution for the Triple Sec/Cointreau portion of a Margarita. I discovered it at a small Mexican place in N. Conway, NH. where they make fantastic margaritas.

Also don't go top shelf for a margarita -- total waste of money. If you want to give your friend some good tequila, give him a nice sipping tequila, along with a bottle of 1800 (at the most) for the Margs.

Also don't go top shelf for a margarita -- total waste of money. If you want to give your friend some good tequila, give him a nice sipping tequila, along with a bottle of 1800 (at the most) for the Margs.

Yeah, I've been tossing that idea of getting her one for margaritas and one for sipping around a little in my head, actually. It might be the better plan....

Yeah, I've been tossing that idea of getting her one for margaritas and one for sipping around a little in my head, actually. It might be the better plan....

I was just about to suggest just this; the best for sipping and the best for margs are perfectly diametrically opposed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Oh, now and understand completely.

I'll have to change my recommendation to the biggest, cheapest bottle of rotgut you can find for her, and a deck of cards for you.

Agreed...usually I use Hornitos for margaritas. Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice and some simple syrup and you are good to go.

That closely matches my preference, although I use Cointreau a little more often that GM. If you really want to taste the tequila, but with very little burn, try Herradura Silver in place of the Hornitos.

Okay, if it is a gift to impress, I recommend Casa Noble reposado, Cointreau, and Dr Swami top shelf margarita mix.

BUT, because it is all blended, that is really kind of a waste of good tequila and orange liqueur, so maybe consider downgrading to Cabo Wabo reposado and a good brand of triple sec like Hiram walker, but by all means stick with the Dr Swami mix -- next best thing to fresh squeezed. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom