What's new

Will a magnetic knife rack injure a knife?

Another kitchen knife thread. Since Wife, soon to be ex-Wife, is in the process of leaving the house, I thought it a good time to let her have the Chicago Cutlery chef knife she ruined and get myself something fairly decent, since she won't be here to abuse it. I really mostly only use a 6" chef's knife for everything, so now I have a Henckels Pro-S coming in that size. Probably will get a paring knife sometime down the road, but I don't seem to go looking for one very often. Anyway, since Wife won't be here to throw knives helter-skelter in the kitchen drawer (after taking them out of the dishwasher), I decided I can put up a knife rack (must be out of reach of five-year-old short person). My mind naturally jumped right to a magnetic knife rack, but I started wondering if it might impart some magnetism to the blade, and if that might be a bad thing, probably being attractive to rust particles, tuna can lids, and other stuff I'd rather not have impede my cutting. (I suppose I could also worry that the pull of the magnets would start tugging the edge over, too, but that seems like the least of my problems, probably not as much force as, say, actually cutting something.) (Also, FWIW, I'd likely make a magnetic rack that has the magnets embedded in a slab of wood, rather than have the blade get all scraped up by being dragged across a strip of metal.) Am I better off avoiding magnets, or is this just silliness? I've got some other ideas in mind for possible racks that don't use magnets, but the magnets would probably be the easiest thing.

I've consistently heard that a magnetic rack is the best way to go when storing knives; it's also how I plan to store my set once I finish it.

The magnets would definitely impart some magnetism onto the blades, but probably not enough to cause problems or concern. I wouldn't worry about warping the blade; even with a neodymium magnet it's unlikely. You'd be more likely to strip your credit card, in fact.

I guess it comes down to preference. A magnetic strip indeed performs well, as long as it is really strong. However, personally, I hate it when knife blades are exposed. The danger to accidentally grab the blade is too great in my opinion. Also, a metal blade touching other metal doesn't sound right to me. Give it a try and see if you like it. If displaying your knives is the objective, there is hardly anything better than a magnetic strip. If safety and economy of movements are your priorities, then I would personally stay away from it.

Best - MM

Your wife washes her knives in the dishwasher?:eek:

I'm in the minority about magnetic knife strips. I don't trust them. I don't know how many times I've either reached for or placed a knife on a strip, only to have the strip fail to grab it sufficiently. I must be all thumbs because the knife invariably falls and I have do the dance of death to keep from being stabbed in the foot. Right now I have a block that keeps my Henckels safe. I've heard before that a block can dull a knife but I simply can't imagine how that could occur. Of course, I use my steel virtually every time I use a knife. As for magnetizing the blade, I suppose it could happen if the knife had a carbon blade. Interesting. I hadn't thought of that and I've never heard of that.

About the only problem that I see with magnetic knife strips is that it's real easy to rub the sharp edge against the strip while hanging it there or retrieving it.

Personally I wouldn't like the looks of one in my kitchen. Professionally I find it the cleanest way to go for storing knives.

I guess it comes down to preference. A magnetic strip indeed performs well, as long as it is really strong. However, personally, I hate it when knife blades are exposed. The danger to accidentally grab the blade is too great in my opinion. Also, a metal blade touching other metal doesn't sound right to me. Give it a try and see if you like it. If displaying your knives is the objective, there is hardly anything better than a magnetic strip. If safety and economy of movements are your priorities, then I would personally stay away from it.

Don't really agree. As long as it is place up on a wall. For me, the main danger is touching the blade to the metal strip. That, you have to be consistent about. Also, there is the potential to mar the finish on the knives ever so slightly, i guess, if the strip isn't perfectly smooth.

But, I've never felt any danger of touching the blade accidentally. Also, for economy of movement, if you can place it in reach of your work area, I'd say there is nothing better. All your knives right there, out of the way, but in plain view and easy reach. I love it.

-Mo

I have about four feet of magnetic knife rack in my kitchen and I really like it. It takes a few weeks of reminding yourself to pull the knife off the rack while giving it a slight twist towards the spine, not towards the blade, but you get used to it, and it becomes second nature. I have never noticed any of my knives being magnetized enough to attract any metal objects I'm working around.

I made sure to put mine in a place where it's unlikely anyone will grab them inadvertently, as they're in plain sight, yet not in a place you'd be putting your hands. I find a drawer full of knives much more likely to be crowded and therefore more likely to be dangerous.

I appreciate the way it looks. It looks like a kitchen that someone works in, not a kitchen that's just wasted space like far too many people I know. It's attractive without compromising in function.

You can get magnetic knife strips them fairly inexpensively at IKEA if you want to test it out before springing for a nicer one.

I'm a big fan of my knife rack. The knives stick fast with no chance of one falling off, handles all down so no chance of grabbing a sharp bit (and I mean who grabs for blades without watching what they are doing??) and after 18 months there are no marks on the blades themselves. Just a quick and easy way to store them that is up high out of kids reaches yet readily available when you need one.

Thanks for the input, guys. Re: scraping the blades on the metal strip, I'm thinking more along the lines of something like this, but more aesthetically pleasing to me. Nothing there that's any more scrape-a-delic than a cutting board would be. If I didn't go the magnetic route, I'd consider making something like this one. My problem there is that to keep it out of reach of my five-year-old, I'd wanted it mounted up high, which could make it more awkward to use than a magnetic rack, since the knives need to be lifted up and out.

And yes, I'm sorry to say my wife does put the knives in the dishwasher and then afterward drops them jumbled loose in a drawer. Everything goes in the dishwasher. The All-Clad pots and pans that they say not to put in the dishwasher? She got tired of hand washing, so in the dishwasher they go. (I've also caught her using metal utensils in them, and in the non-stick pans.) None of the wooden spoons have a finish left on them, because they go in the dishwasher.

IIt takes a few weeks of reminding yourself to pull the knife off the rack while giving it a slight twist towards the spine, not towards the blade, but you get used to it, and it becomes second nature.

This is really the key. I've had a magnetic knife rack for a number of years and too me it's the best way to store good quality knives, that's why professionals use them.:wink:

Seriously though, remember three things:

1. Get a good quality rack. If it doesn't hold the knives it doesn't do any good.

2. Put it in a good place. You don't want little hands reaching it or bumping into it when you are moving around the kitchen. For those worried about grabbing and exposed blade by accident, well...not to sound like an *** but you probably shouldn't be around sharp things.:lol:

3. Always twist the knives off the rack. Don't ever pop or slide them off. That way you avoid metal on metal frictions and warping.

I have several of these, and they are a great product. No exposed metal, and they are quite attractive.

Those do look rather nice and useful.

Regarding professionals, I am not so sure that a lot of "real" professionals use magnetic knife holders.

I just don't like them. I can't tell you how many ceramic knives I went through in search of a good magnetic holder... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best - MM

See? Even Dennis agrees. :lol:

:thumbup1: for the mag-blocks

Heh - it was almost a simulpost. I couldn't remember the name of the company. Thought it was benchcraft but the google-fu was not with me. I had to go find my paypal receipt, thus you beat me to the punch. :tongue:

Dennis

I've used both , mag strips and blocks, over the years and both work fine. I prefer the knife block but only if you have the counter space (we do). If I ever go the strip route again, I will go with the wooden mag strips that OUCH pointed out. I'd never heard of them and they are certainly more aesthetically pleasing.

IMHO, the best thing that you can do is keep knives out of the dishwasher and away from Wife II, who like Wife I will automatically confuse a good kitchen knife with a Leatherman. I also lightly strop my knives (which are generally razor sharp) before and after using on a smooth stainless steel rod.

Top Bottom